PDA

View Full Version : NFA trust

volksweegle
11-27-2012, 9:45 AM
Anybody have a CA NFA Trust? If so, how do you like it and is it worth it?

CAL.BAR
11-27-2012, 10:01 AM
I draft them for my clients and for the clients of several FFL's throughout CA. Feel free to PM me your e-mail and I will send you my FAQ page.

As for what they are good for. Well, First getting AOW shotguns mostly. Secondly to protect and properly pass on your firearms in the event of your death.

zfields
11-27-2012, 10:13 AM
I draft them for my clients and for the clients of several FFL's throughout CA. Feel free to PM me your e-mail and I will send you my FAQ page.

As for what they are good for. Well, First getting AOW shotguns mostly. Secondly to protect and properly pass on your firearms in the event of your death.

Know of a good person to go to in tx tthat's reasonably priced.

Sent from my Incredible 2

CAL.BAR
11-27-2012, 10:23 AM

I don't think you need them in TX. Most LEOS sign off on them don't they? In any event, I don;t know anyone in TX I'm afraid.

Capybara
11-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Just got my NFA trust a few weeks ago. It was super easy and we have filed my AOW purchase with the ATF. My FFL told me to forget I had even done it, he will surprise me in the Spring with a call when the tax stamp arrives. Buying NFA takes incredible patience.

zfields
11-27-2012, 10:52 AM
I don't think you need them in TX. Most LEOS sign off on them don't they? In any event, I don;t know anyone in TX I'm afraid.

Quite a few don't.

readysetgo
11-27-2012, 11:29 AM

Quite a few don't.

@dj

As you yourself said, there are also benifits outside of just "no LEO sign off".

ke6guj
11-27-2012, 1:33 PM

there are a couple TX attorneys that offer AR15.com members NFA trusts in the $2-300 range. If I were you, I'd check out the "Class 3" forums on AR15.com to find them.

guntrust
11-28-2012, 7:36 AM
I offer free gun trusts - two levels:

1. Free Gold-level gun trust included with all foundational estate plans.

2. Free Silver-level gun trust, just for coming in for a free estate plan design consultation (90 minutes, my office is in Laguna Hills).

[There is a simpler Bronze for NFA only, which i typically do not recommend. Either Gold or Silver can handle both NFA and non-NFA weapons. Gold allows much more customization for multi-state situations, trust protectors, dynastic planning, charitable planning, etc.]

Here is a ppt video i made on why every California estate plan should include a gun trust:

5jIORr23SbQ

guntrust
11-28-2012, 7:56 AM
Here is a directory of GunDocx lawyers--there is one in Texas:

http://www.gundocxlawyers.com/lawyer-profiles/

shooting4life
11-28-2012, 8:32 AM
Does anyone in the Bay Area do NFA trusts in the 200-300 dollar range?

LOW2000
11-28-2012, 9:44 AM
If you have pre-paid legal services as a benefit through your employer, there are some NFA trust attorneys who are "approved providers" through those programs where the trust should cost you nothing as well.

Carnivore
11-28-2012, 8:47 PM
Just started the trust and it is well worth it. Can't wait to get my new shotgun and judge.

winnre
11-28-2012, 8:56 PM
I got a trust made the day I picked out my Serbu. It was $200 and only took about an hour. The time went fast. The other guy did most the work, I just needed something of value to put into the trust so it existed before I bought the gun. I was wearing a Rolex at the time, so bingo, got my item to start the trust.

Was it worth it? Well a picture is worth a thousand words:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/astcell/uploaded/IMG_9753.jpg

Tom Gresham
11-29-2012, 8:11 AM
The LEO in our parish (Louisiana) will not sign off, so we used www.guntrustlawyer.com to set up a trust. Very complete package with comforting "hand holding" info to make it easy.

morfeeis
11-29-2012, 2:56 PM
I'm be moving out of CA in March, should i wait till i move to my new state to start the paperwork? if i do start it now will i have to make any changes to keep/use it when i get to AZ?

ke6guj
11-29-2012, 3:35 PM
I'm be moving out of CA in March, should i wait till i move to my new state to start the paperwork? if i do start it now will i have to make any changes to keep/use it when i get to AZ?I would wait if I were you.

If you got a trust set up today and sent in your Form 1 or Form 4, it most likely would not be approved before you moved. And that would cause you some drama if you weren't a CA resident when it was approved.

morfeeis
11-29-2012, 3:45 PM
I would wait if I were you.

If you got a trust set up today and sent in your Form 1 or Form 4, it most likely would not be approved before you moved. And that would cause you some drama if you weren't a CA resident when it was approved.
Gotcha thanks.

aklover_91
11-29-2012, 3:56 PM
I offer free gun trusts - two levels:

1. Free Gold-level gun trust included with all foundational estate plans.

2. Free Silver-level gun trust, just for coming in for a free estate plan design consultation (90 minutes, my office is in Laguna Hills).

[There is a simpler Bronze for NFA only, which i typically do not recommend. Either Gold or Silver can handle both NFA and non-NFA weapons. Gold allows much more customization for multi-state situations, trust protectors, dynastic planning, charitable planning, etc.]

Here is a ppt video i made on why every California estate plan should include a gun trust:

5jIORr23SbQ

What sort of fee are we looking at for the Bronze/NFA specific trust?

PM is fine if you don't want to post it in open forum.

jaymz
11-29-2012, 4:38 PM
Don't wanna jack the op's thread, but I've got some related questions. I have a residence in AZ. I can legally purchase firearms in AZ. I live in CA the majority of the time. If I set up an NFA trust in AZ, will I be able to use that trust to buy/possess CA legal NFA items in CA? Or would I need the trust set up in CA? Does it matter which state I set up the trust? If I have the trust set up in CA, can I purchase a suppressor in AZ (can't come into CA obviously)? Or do I need to set up 2 trusts? I may be getting ahead of myself, but does the $200 (?) tax stamp cover all NFA purchases, or is it per NFA item purchase?

Meplat
11-29-2012, 4:57 PM
I got a trust made the day I picked out my Serbu. It was $200 and only took about an hour. The time went fast. The other guy did most the work, I just needed something of value to put into the trust so it existed before I bought the gun. I was wearing a Rolex at the time, so bingo, got my item to start the trust.

Was it worth it? Well a picture is worth a thousand words:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/astcell/uploaded/IMG_9753.jpg

Do you realize how much you will have to load that thing down (as in backing off on velocity and projectile mass) for it to be any fun to shoot? Do you know of any videos of someone actually shooting one of those; twice?

winnre
11-29-2012, 7:46 PM
Do you realize how much you will have to load that thing down (as in backing off on velocity and projectile mass) for it to be any fun to shoot? Do you know of any videos of someone actually shooting one of those; twice?

My Serbu just came back from the shop, some parts were wobbly after I put over a thousand rounds through it. I have plenty of videos on youtube of friends firing it, to include a barely 5 foot and all of 93 pounds Japanese lady who had never even held a gun before.

Also we work up the shooting ladder, starting with bird shot, then buck shot, then finally a slug. And how about one handed?

http://www.youtube.com/user/astcell

The videos are in there, just look for the weapons!

Carnivore
11-29-2012, 8:00 PM

They are fun to shoot and just normal rounds work great. I think this one is 3+1 so not a lot of reloading at all. They are just meant to be a "blast" and boy are they. I am going to the 10" model myself I get 5+1, well worth the cost.

Capybara
11-29-2012, 8:08 PM
Nice Serbu, I almost went for one but the 4+1 capacity of the 870 AOW won me out. If I like it though, I will be adding a Serbu to the safe too.

winnre
11-29-2012, 8:14 PM
2+1 for mine.

readysetgo
11-29-2012, 9:09 PM
Don't wanna jack the op's thread, but I've got some related questions. I have a residence in AZ. I can legally purchase firearms in AZ. I live in CA the majority of the time. If I set up an NFA trust in AZ, will I be able to use that trust to buy/possess CA legal NFA items in CA? Or would I need the trust set up in CA? Does it matter which state I set up the trust? If I have the trust set up in CA, can I purchase a suppressor in AZ (can't come into CA obviously)? Or do I need to set up 2 trusts? I may be getting ahead of myself, but does the $200 (?) tax stamp cover all NFA purchases, or is it per NFA item purchase?

Surely you jest!?!?

If you spend the "majority" of your time in CA, that would make you a CA resident. That would normally preclude you from purchasing out of state. No?

aermotor
11-29-2012, 10:11 PM

Oh please http://aermotorstudio.com/calguns/fu.gif

jaymz
11-30-2012, 4:03 AM
Surely you jest!?!?

If you spend the "majority" of your time in CA, that would make you a CA resident. That would normally preclude you from purchasing out of state. No?

AZ law essentially says that if you are standing at the gun counter in AZ, you are residing there. Add to that the fact that I have property and an AZ ID card, I can legally purchase firearms. Oh yeah, don't call me Shirley!:D

J.Austin316
11-30-2012, 7:03 AM
I could totally be off but I would think while in CA you need to follow CA laws and while in AZ you need to follow AZ laws. You can not go to a CA store and buy hi-cap magazines with an AZ ID so I assume you can not buy an AOW as well. I was going to purchase a firearm in NV and I was told I had to ship it to an FFL in CA to have them DROS it to me... not sure if that helps, just my thoughts.

I do not think the trust is limited to a physical address. The trust is between you and your benefactors and your possessions. I would think you could use the same trust to purchase a suppressor in AZ and an AOW in CA, your location comes into play with the NFA paperwork.

morfeeis
11-30-2012, 7:12 AM
How long did it take you guys to get your trust set up?

Also, with the tax stamp, is that $200 i have to pay every-year are just when i first get the stamp?

J.Austin316
11-30-2012, 7:14 AM
The trust is a few emails back and forth... the real wait is once you go to your FFL to get your stamp, that could take months and months (6+)

jaymz
11-30-2012, 7:26 AM
I could totally be off but I would think while in CA you need to follow CA laws and while in AZ you need to follow AZ laws. You can not go to a CA store and buy hi-cap magazines with an AZ ID so I assume you can not buy an AOW as well. I was going to purchase a firearm in NV and I was told I had to ship it to an FFL in CA to have them DROS it to me... not sure if that helps, just my thoughts.

I do not think the trust is limited to a physical address. The trust is between you and your benefactors and your possessions. I would think you could use the same trust to purchase a suppressor in AZ and an AOW in CA, your location comes into play with the NFA paperwork.

Let me clarify. I can buy a silencer in AZ with NFA tax stamp. I can't do that in CA. If I establish the trust in CA, would that preclude me from purchasing NFA items anywhere other than CA?

Rumline
11-30-2012, 8:44 AM
If I establish the trust in CA, would that preclude me from purchasing NFA items anywhere other than CA?
It is possible to create a multi-state NFA trust. Find a lawyer and ask them what is involved in making this happen. I haven't been able to find clear info on this topic online.

CAL.BAR
11-30-2012, 9:20 AM
It is possible to create a multi-state NFA trust. Find a lawyer and ask them what is involved in making this happen. I haven't been able to find clear info on this topic online.

Yeah - multi-state trusts can be difficult mainly b/c lawyers are licensed only the practice law in their state and they don't often know the law in a neighboring state, and even if they did, may not be licensed to practice in that state. Is trust law similar in most states, yes, but no lawyer (including myself) wants to put his malpractice ins. on the line for the want of $300 for a trust in the neighboring state.

aermotor
11-30-2012, 9:35 AM
How long did it take you guys to get your trust set up?

Also, with the tax stamp, is that $200 i have to pay every-year are just when i first get the stamp?

It only takes a few days. The trust is $200, not the stamp. The stamp is only $5 for AOWs and is a one time fee.

Rumline
11-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Yeah - multi-state trusts can be difficult mainly b/c lawyers are licensed only the practice law in their state and they don't often know the law in a neighboring state, and even if they did, may not be licensed to practice in that state. Is trust law similar in most states, yes, but no lawyer (including myself) wants to put his malpractice ins. on the line for the want of $300 for a trust in the neighboring state.
That makes sense. Thanks for the info. Do you have any recommendations on how to go about finding a lawyer who is licensed in multiple states?

Meplat
11-30-2012, 3:51 PM
That makes sense. Thanks for the info. Do you have any recommendations on how to go about finding a lawyer who is licensed in multiple states?

I know that lawyers often have licenses to practice in adjacent states, especially if they are located near the border like in Yuma or Reno. Finding one who is licensed in a bunch of states might be a bit tricky.

Unless a state has its own SBS law I shouldn’t think it would matter NFA is federal.

Meplat
11-30-2012, 4:19 PM
Oh please http://aermotorstudio.com/calguns/fu.gif

Well then. Shave my cheeks and call me p#$$y! I have fired my 18” M-500 cruiser with pistol grip only and learned that full power buckshot and slug loads will rattle your fillings. They will also make your eye balls vibrate and after a full 7+1 I need a wrist brace. That VFG must really help! :p

winnre
11-30-2012, 7:55 PM
I found a lawyer who will set up a trust in Florida for a friend and me. Then the trust can buy automatic weapons in Florida and they can stay there. I can go visit them, just cannot bring them to California. Yes I trust him. :-) Now to save for an Uzi.

aermotor
12-02-2012, 2:21 PM
Well then. Shave my cheeks and call me p#$$y! I have fired my 18” M-500 cruiser with pistol grip only and learned that full power buckshot and slug loads will rattle your fillings. They will also make your eye balls vibrate and after a full 7+1 I need a wrist brace. That VFG must really help! :p

Haha!

bwiese
12-02-2012, 2:26 PM
AZ law essentially says that if you are standing at the gun counter in AZ, you are residing there. Add to that the fact that I have property and an AZ ID card, I can legally purchase firearms. Oh yeah, don't call me Shirley!:D

Sorry, sonny. ATF may not look at it that way.

Don't always matter what the $6/hr idjit at the AZ gunshot counter sez.

Possession of state ID and real property in that state does not determine ATF-approved residency.
Hanging out there and being a resident and doing the things residents do is important.
Just bopping' on over on the weekend to buy a gun won't pass the smell test.

Dantedamean
12-02-2012, 2:44 PM
I have a question about this, if I set up a trust and someone in my trust, lest say for this example my brother, gets a DV restraining order issued against him. Would I need to remove him from the trust or is him just not having access to the weapons good enough?

ke6guj
12-02-2012, 3:06 PM
that would be a question best served to the lawyer drawing up the trust.

a properly drawn up NFA trust will have language dealing with that. Some say that "prohibited persons" are prohibited from being a trustee or a beneficary. Others might have different language covering that.

That is one reason that having a gun trust separate from any other trust is usually a good idea. A "prohibited person" could still be a trustee or beneficiary of your regular trust and not caus issues with your gun trust.

jaymz
12-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Sorry, sonny. ATF may not look at it that way.

Don't always matter what the $6/hr idjit at the AZ gunshot counter sez.

Possession of state ID and real property in that state does not determine ATF-approved residency.
Hanging out there and being a resident and doing the things residents do is important.
Just bopping' on over on the weekend to buy a gun won't pass the smell test.

Maybe I should have been a bit more specific. My property is a home in which I spend time living there. I tend to oversimplify things sometimes. I've never just bopped on over to buy a gun. As a matter of fact, I've never even bought a gun outside of CA.