PDA

View Full Version : Can someone clarify what this means?

PhilthyTurtle
11-26-2012, 10:57 PM
I recently just moved, and was reading my city ordinance and just wanted to clarify if this means what I think it says. If I read this correctly, I am allowed to shoot an air rifle, bbguns, bow and arrow and a crossbow in my back yard???

9.52.010 - Discharging weapons prohibited.

(a)
Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, no person shall within the city limits, shoot, fire or discharge, nor cause or permit to be shot, fired or discharged, any rifle, shotgun, revolver or other firearm of any kind, or any air gun, air rifle or air pistol, or any spring gun, spring rifle, or spring pistol, BB gun, pellet gun, blow gun or any carbon dioxide or any gas operated gun, or a crossbow of any type, compound bow, or a bow more than three feet in length, or to use metal or pointed tipped arrows.
(b)
Nothing in this section shall prohibit the use of any air gun, air rifle or air pistol, or any spring gun, spring rifle, or spring pistol, BB gun, pellet gun, blow gun or any carbon dioxide or any gas operated gun, or a crossbow of any type, compound bow, or a bow more than three feet in length, when the missile, projectile, or arrow is shot from and at all times remains on or over, and lands upon the property owned by the person shooting the weapon, or bows and arrows in the teaching of the art of archery by schools within the city, or by the department of parks and recreation as a part of their regular program, or under the supervision of a responsible adult upon an archery range approved by the city manager; nor the manufacturing, testing and sale of any of the articles mentioned in this section at wholesale by any person or bona fide firm in the city; nor the sale by mail order sales of any of the articles mentioned in this section to persons residing outside the city limits.
(Ord. 741, 1999: Ord. 66 1; 1960)

stingray4540
11-26-2012, 11:31 PM
Sounds like you can, but as soon as you miss your target and it ends up in the neighbors yard, you are in deep poo?

That's the way I interpreted it anyway.

PhilthyTurtle
11-27-2012, 8:13 AM
yeah thats how i interpreted it myself. sounds pretty awesome haha

Untamed1972
11-27-2012, 8:45 AM
Just dont forget that State law would also apply regardless of city ordinance. So the state rule of being 150yds from structures you dont own, etc would still apply, for firearms anyway.

PhilthyTurtle
11-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Just dont forget that State law would also apply regardless of city ordinance. So the state rule of being 150yds from structures you dont own, etc would still apply, for firearms anyway.

so does that mean I would have to own a huge amount of land to shoot a bbgun in my backyard?

corcoraj2002
11-27-2012, 10:56 AM
bbgun != firearm.

PhilthyTurtle
11-27-2012, 12:14 PM
bbgun != firearm.

good to know.

called my local PD and they said that it was ok as long as it doesnt go into another property.

a1c
11-27-2012, 12:19 PM
good to know.

called my local PD and they said that it was ok as long as it doesnt go into another property.

Keep in mind there will always be the possibility that some neighbor thinks you're actually shooting a real firearm if they see you and might call the cops on you. So keep the other guns away when shooting that BB gun.

PhilthyTurtle
11-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Keep in mind there will always be the possibility that some neighbor thinks you're actually shooting a real firearm if they see you and might call the cops on you. So keep the other guns away when shooting that BB gun.

Very true, I think i will just drive up to burrows since it is only 20 min away haha. At least then I can use my guns too.

Untamed1972
11-27-2012, 2:12 PM
so does that mean I would have to own a huge amount of land to shoot a bbgun in my backyard?

BBguns are not firearms and do not fall under penal code sections dealing with firearms. The 150yd rule only applies to firearms.

BBguns and their use are usually more directly controlled by local ordinance.

wjc
11-27-2012, 7:21 PM

Fish and Game Code:

3004. (a) It is unlawful for any person, other than the owner,
person in possession of the premises, or a person having the express
permission of the owner or person in possession of the premises, to
hunt or to discharge while hunting, any firearm or other deadly
weapon within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or
other building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connection
therewith. The 150-yard area is a "safety zone."
(b) It is unlawful for any person to intentionally discharge any
firearm or release any arrow or crossbow bolt over or across any
public road or other established way open to the public in an unsafe
and reckless manner.

Zedrek
11-27-2012, 7:43 PM
Fish and Game Code:

and reckless manner.

That sounds like just for hunting though. I don't think that would apply for your backyard if you are just target shooting. Ummmm, but you'll shoot your eye out.

PhilthyTurtle
11-28-2012, 10:30 AM
That sounds like just for hunting though. I don't think that would apply for your backyard if you are just target shooting. Ummmm, but you'll shoot your eye out.

also it says public road ect. my backyard would be considered private property wouldnt it?

wjc
11-28-2012, 7:33 PM
also it says public road ect. my backyard would be considered private property wouldnt it?

IANAL, but I believe it would be.

BTW, I couldn't find the 150 yard in the Penal Code. If somebody knows it please sing out. I'm interested in finding it.

Meplat
11-28-2012, 7:53 PM
IANAL, but I believe it would be.

BTW, I couldn't find the 150 yard in the Penal Code. If somebody knows it please sing out. I'm interested in finding it.

It's in the Fish & Game Code, not the Penal Code.

postal
11-28-2012, 8:04 PM
BBguns are not firearms and do not fall under penal code sections dealing with firearms. The 150yd rule only applies to firearms.

BBguns and their use are usually more directly controlled by local ordinance.

This is misleading.

It's often city/county codes that will make a bb/pellet/bow/ even a slingshot... into a 'firearm'.

Last I checked, Riverside does this. Forgot city or county, but legally, even a slingshot is a 'firearm' and a no go at home.

Op. sounds like you're golden as long as you/projectiles stay on your property.

jeffsenpai
11-28-2012, 8:13 PM
Fish and Game Code:

and reckless manner.

That is the important part, as long as you are not hunting, you can shoot all you want on your own land. The 150 yard safe zone does not apply. This is for the state F&G code only though, check your local ordinances.