PDA

View Full Version : Target shooting - 5" vs ported 4"?

torranceeric
11-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Hey guys. I've been looking at getting a target pistol in 9mm. I have gone to Front Sight in the past and would like something that can help me to "graduate". I was told the best way is to get a Glock type handgun with no cocking/decocking to worry about and to make sure it's full size. So I've been eyeing up a 5" size such as the Springfield XD9 Tactical. But after looking around, I also noticed the ported guns, such as the XD9 V10. Porting supposedly helps negate muzzle rise and keeps continuous shots more on target. So my question is, which would be better? The longer barrel or the shorter, but ported one? I'm not worried about the first shot, but the 2nd for a "controlled pair" and possibly 3rd or 4th, however the higher tests are scored.

Please help educate me with your opinions on the two.

Thanks!

IVth Horseman
11-27-2012, 12:42 AM
I don't have any experience comparing the two, so I can't help much. But I will share what I've noticed with my ported guns, porting without a doubt makes my follow up shots easier and quicker.

In the end I would guess quicker follow up shots will be more beneficial than a 1" longer sight radius. My free 2 cents.

MA2
11-27-2012, 1:15 AM
Port are usually not needed for the 9mm (nor the 45acp), more push back than flip.
Fun! louder, I might be the few that do like ports. Go with ports if you are going with 40sw/10mm or magnum rounds.

Longer sight radius is better, just look at the manufacturer target/competition guns:
Glock 34, XDm competition, SIG P226 X-Five, CZ Tac. Sport...what they have in common is the ~5 inch barrel for a longer sight radius.

For a fun target gun, I vote for a 1911-9mm 5", all steel + the straight back SAO trigger, as good as it gets.

railroader
11-27-2012, 1:43 AM
I would take the longer barrel on an xd rather than the ports. I have shot matches where a shooter had the ported xd. The front sight dot got blackened pretty quickly from the muzzle blast. Other things can be done to xds to make them more shootable. My standard xd has dawson sights and a powder river trigger kit. Those two upgrades make the gun easier to shoot.
Some other options would be 9mm 1911s and cz75 variations. Both are all steel and handle recoil well. No decocking either.

MossbergMan
11-27-2012, 6:17 AM
When considering barrel porting you need to identify it's use. Casual plinking and target shooting porting is not an issue and is a personal preferrence.
However, if you're considering competitive shooting you may find your ported barrel is either not allowed at all (IDPA) or places you in Open Class (USPSA) shooting against dot sighted, highly modified, purpose built handguns.
IMO porting standard caliber handguns is moot. For ports to function they need high gas pressures (big hunting handguns, .38 Super/9mm major). Standard velocity cartridges just don't produce enough gas pressure to make much of a difference.
As far as target shooting goes....the aforementioned 9mm 1911 with adjustable sights is all you need. Excellent ergonomics,trigger and sight radius. I shoot NRA PPC, IDPA and USPSA and use Springfield 9mms.
IMO there are way more cons than pros when considering having a compensated/ported barrel. And yes I do own and occassionally shoot a ported pistol (Glock 24) I've shot Open Class USPSA with a comp'd .38 super and I still think for the average shooter they make little difference.

torranceeric
11-27-2012, 6:22 AM
Thanks for the replys, guys. A 9mm 1911? I've never heard of that. Any particular models I should look at?

powaybob
11-27-2012, 6:23 AM
First of all, its not the gun that makes you a Graduate at Front Sight, it is the shooter. It took me several tries, but I made it with a 4 inch XD in .45 auto. That said, I have both an XD 9 tactical 5 inch and just picked up an XD 45 tactical 5 inch yesterday. I am still a novice, but I find the gun is much more capable that I am, but the more I practice the better results I see. I think you will find the same. As said, 5 inch gives you a better sight radius and that should improve shot placement a bit.

torranceeric
11-27-2012, 8:19 AM
First of all, its not the gun that makes you a Graduate at Front Sight, it is the shooter.

That's obvious, but I'd like any bit of help I can get. :D

gorenut
11-27-2012, 9:20 AM
Port are usually not needed for the 9mm (nor the 45acp), more push back than flip.
Fun! louder, I might be the few that do like ports. Go with ports if you are going with 40sw/10mm or magnum rounds.

Longer sight radius is better, just look at the manufacturer target/competition guns:
Glock 34, XDm competition, SIG P226 X-Five, CZ Tac. Sport...what they have in common is the ~5 inch barrel for a longer sight radius.

For a fun target gun, I vote for a 1911-9mm 5", all steel + the straight back SAO trigger, as good as it gets.

I tend to agree with this. Even though I can group a G17 as well as my 9mm 1911.. the 1911 does it with much less effort.

Don't bother spending your hard earned cash on ports.

gorenut
11-27-2012, 9:35 AM
Thanks for the replys, guys. A 9mm 1911? I've never heard of that. Any particular models I should look at?

Springfield and Kimber are the ones on the roster that are commonly purchased. A good medium, but will run you around a grand. STI is popular amongst competitors, but they're off roster and yield a premium. Their base model 9mm 1911 in other states can be had for as low as $600ish.. but around here, you're more likely to spend $700-$800. Their base models are essentially Rock Islands that are spiffed up... which also is worth noting. They have a 9mm too, but again.. not on roster, though their 38 Super is and often people buy that to convert into 9mm.

I personally own a Springfield Target 9mm 1911. It's easily the softest 9mm I've ever handled. I points very easily and I've owned many other steel frame 9mm semis in the form of Sigs and CZs. None really match the Springfield in terms of soft shooting and ease of handling. Seriously feels like shooting 22s.

Red Devil
11-27-2012, 9:38 AM
...Any particular models I should look at?

Yep... This:

Glock G34 (http://us.glock.com/products/model/g34)

http://www.roadsterdrift.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/g34.jpg

...and never look back. ;)

Luv1911's
11-27-2012, 10:11 AM
The Springfield 1911 9mm is without a doubt one of the best shooting hand guns I own. I shoot it more than my Springfield TRP or my CZ75 SP019 (although i just picked up the CZ). The Springfield 1911 9mm has been trouble free and has been a lot of fun to shoot at matches. If you can find one I doubt you will be disappointed.

Luv1911's
11-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Sorry that is a CZ SP01, don't know how the 9 got in there.