PDA

View Full Version : Off Roster Handgun Transfer from Father

MusicMatt
11-26-2012, 10:25 PM
My Dad would like to give me one of his off-roster guns for my birthday in December. (Springfield XD45 2 tone, or PT1911, maybe a couple other .45's)

My local FFL I normally do my transfers through said all my father has to do is mail me directly the handgun with a letter of intent to gift it including serial number/make/model.

This sounds a little too easy. Any other FFL's on here want to chime in.

Librarian
11-26-2012, 10:37 PM
My Dad would like to give me one of his off-roster guns for my birthday in December. (Springfield XD45 2 tone, or PT1911, maybe a couple other .45's)

My local FFL I normally do my transfers through said all my father has to do is mail me directly the handgun with a letter of intent to gift it including serial number/make/model.

This sounds a little too easy. Any other FFL's on here want to chime in.

Where is your dad?

If he's a California resident, that will work. Getting someone to ship a handgun for you may be a challenge, and it might be worth the wait for him to deliver them, or you to go get them, to avoid that hassle.

If, however, he is a resident of any state but CA, the guns must go through an FFL for an intrafamilial interstate transfer.

See the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members

Ron-Solo
11-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Librarian rocks it again. 12 minutes from the OP to an quick but accurate answer. :)

MusicMatt
11-27-2012, 9:43 AM
@Librarian

Thanks for the clarification.