PDA

View Full Version : 1911 issue: full-length guide rod re-assembly

MalC
11-26-2012, 5:24 PM
I've been told that 1911s with FLGRs are more difficult to field strip, and need a little tool... but my RIA Tactical has a FLGR and it doesn't require any tools.

When I re-assemble it, I have to press my fingers against the recoil spring and guide rod while I push in the recoil spring plug and rotate the barrel bushing to lock it in place (so the guide rod stays in place under the tension of the compressed recoil spring). The next step is to slip the slide onto the frame, but to do this you have to stop putting pressure on the guide rod.

The first 3 times I field stripped the pistol, the guide rod stayed in place when I let go and re-assembly was super easy. This time, the guide rod kept slipping up against the barrel link before I could get the slide on the frame, preventing me from pushing the slide back far enough to install the slide stop. Needless to say, it was pretty frustrating. I took it apart again and made sure there was no oil on the end of the guide rod or the front of the barrel link, and after 5min or so finally got the slide on the frame without the guide rod slipping up.

Is this a normal occurrence? Is that why people say FLGRs are a PITA to re-assemble? Now I'm a little worried that the guide rod didn't completely stay in place when I re-installed the slide. It hand cycles just fine so I'm probably being overly paranoid, but I'm now considering getting a regular length guide rod and solid recoil spring plug to see if that's easier to put back together.

littlejake
11-26-2012, 5:34 PM
The other type FLGR is a two-piece that requires an Allen wrench. I pulled the FLGR out of my Springfield Armory and went to a GI type Plug and Guide.

CrippledPidgeon
11-26-2012, 5:37 PM
A single piece guide rod doesn't extend to the end of the recoil spring plug, and doesn't require any tools to disassemble (probably like your RIA, or the Kimbers). Two piece guide rods (like those in Springfield Armory pistols) need an allen wrench to remove the front end of the rod, but it assembles and disassembles otherwise like an M1911 with a short guide rod.

Easiest way to put together a FLGR gun is to not do it under spring tension. Put the barrel, guide rod, and bushing back into the slide, and then put the slide back onto the frame. Once you've got the gun put together, slide on the recoil spring and then insert the plug. You don't have to use a bushing wrench, but it helps if you don't have thick skin on your thumbs.

I personally don't care much for FLGRs, so I replace mine with short guide rods and corresponding plugs.

MA2
11-26-2012, 5:50 PM
Good job, the one-piece bushing are pretty much the same take down as the GI's.

Now the bull barrel 1911 with a one-piece full length rod guide are the worst :-|
Love my bull barrel 1911's though =)

MalC
11-26-2012, 6:10 PM
Easiest way to put together a FLGR gun is to not do it under spring tension. Put the barrel, guide rod, and bushing back into the slide, and then put the slide back onto the frame. Once you've got the gun put together, slide on the recoil spring and then insert the plug. You don't have to use a bushing wrench, but it helps if you don't have thick skin on your thumbs.

Yeah I don't have any problems getting the plug in or the barrel bushing locked in place, it's just keeping the guide rod in place while I put the slide on the frame that was giving me problems.

I tried to assemble it without the recoil spring and plug, but the guide rod kept sliding forward and I didn't want it to flip over (so the curved part was no longer "hugging" the bottom of the barrel).

With a short guide rod, does the recoil spring just rest on the front of the barrel link, or is there something that keeps it in place there?

CrippledPidgeon
11-27-2012, 2:35 AM
The recoil spring presses the short guide back against the lug. Heck, that's how all guide rods are held in place. The back of the rod rests against the lug, and the shape of the guide rod is going to prevent the thing from rotating once you get it into the dust cover. It simply won't fit any other way.

negolien
11-27-2012, 10:42 AM
A single piece guide rod doesn't extend to the end of the recoil spring plug, and doesn't require any tools to disassemble (probably like your RIA, or the Kimbers). Two piece guide rods (like those in Springfield Armory pistols) need an allen wrench to remove the front end of the rod, but it assembles and disassembles otherwise like an M1911 with a short guide rod.

I personally don't care much for FLGRs, so I replace mine with short guide rods and corresponding plugs.

I concur Sir.:p

XVIga_Rob
11-27-2012, 6:14 PM
Congrats on the new pistol!

Crippled Pigeon's advice is dead on! I too don't care for FLGR's and choose to swap them out with GI's. Hell, I bought my brother a Springfield for his birthday and before giving it to him, I swapped out the 2-piece FLGR with a GI rod and plug. I told him he could put them back if he wanted. As soon as he realized he needed to use a tool for the 2-piece FLGR, he said NO.

Neptune
11-27-2012, 6:58 PM
Good job, the one-piece bushing are pretty much the same take down as the GI's.

Now the bull barrel 1911 with a one-piece full length rod guide are the worst :-|
Love my bull barrel 1911's though =)

Dawson Precision to the rescue!

FyKIm3Ol4lU

__