PDA

View Full Version : Firearms transport during hunting AFTER Jan 1 2013

njineermike
11-26-2012, 4:47 PM
My dad will be here first of the year, and we're going quail hunting. The big question he (and I) have is about transporting the shotguns to/from the hunting area, and what the legal transport rules while IN the hunting area are. I think it's locked container, seperated ammo until you reach the hunting area, no loaded guns until your in the area out of the vehicle. Am I correct here?

chris
11-26-2012, 5:38 PM
i want to say that going to and from hunting is the same as it has always been. taper may chime in on it. lots of people are very concerned with this new stupid law that will do nothing.

180ls1
11-26-2012, 5:43 PM
tagging this cause i wish i knew more

MJB
11-26-2012, 6:52 PM
You can thank the open carry people from a few years ago for this BS!

Coyotegunner
11-26-2012, 8:10 PM
I would like to know also.
I was checked by a warden a short time back.The shotgun was on the floor behind my seat,next to my bird vest.He asked to check my gun.As I went to slide it from the scabbard he noticed it was a over under and said thats OK.I assume he wanted to see if it had a plug,if it was a pump or auto.He checked,looked at the birds I had in the cooler.Nothing was said about the gun and ammo behind the seat.I usually transport everything in the bed.
I was told at a gun shop the other day that to transport my AR15 that it has to be in a locked case and has to have the magazine in it.I asked WTF.He informed me that law enforcement deems that I could easily install a high cap mag if the magwell is empty.
Now that is plain stupid.
Maybe it is the same thinking for transport of a shotgun.The safe bet will be to lock the gun open with a cable lock or lock the case.Bury the ammo in the back somewhere.
Hope someone post the law here.I will look for it tomorrow.

Second day.jben points us to a thread that seems to clarify it.
One of the folks mentions the registered assault weapons.What is the law on that??I own some.

XVIga_Rob
11-26-2012, 8:46 PM
My understanding was that a long gun will need to be in a case, when in an "incorporated area". I don't believe it has to be locked. When in an "unincorporated area" the long gun can be transported openly and if in a vehicle, in a rack (including old school rear window). I could be wrong, but that was my understanding. The more difficult & confusing the language of the law, the easier for honest people to screw up.

NoNOS67
11-26-2012, 9:06 PM
You can thank the open carry people from a few years ago for this BS!

Wait, did they ban open carry of long guns too??

jben
11-26-2012, 9:09 PM
Look here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=620881

XVIga_Rob
11-27-2012, 8:22 AM
Wait, did they ban open carry of long guns too??

Yes, in "incorporated" area's.

tleeocinca
11-27-2012, 8:26 AM
Here we go again, blaming open carry. Pick up your skirt and grab your balls and stop blaming anyone else but the politicians for stealing your rights

Falstaff
11-27-2012, 9:05 AM
Here we go again, blaming open carry. Pick up your skirt and grab your balls and stop blaming anyone else but the politicians for stealing your rights

Word.... Calguns' sycophants believe that you should not exercise your rights because actually exercising rights leads to loss of those rights. Better to have those rights in paper form only, virtual, imaginary rights that must not be exercised!

paul0660
11-27-2012, 9:20 AM
Calguns' sycophants

Cinca and falstaff don't know, don't care, or ignore that the "right" to UOC was a proscribed "right" granted to them by the .gov. Otherwise, you would have been sipping coffee with a loaded sidearm, right?

180ls1
11-27-2012, 9:49 AM
the "right" to UOC was a proscribed "right" granted to them by the .gov.

Truth, and now because we had all these people running around scaring the public we can no longer have it. It could have been very useful too in the event of a disaster or similar scenario.

mif_slim
11-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Truth, and now because we had all these people running around scaring the public we can no longer have it. It could have been very useful too in the event of a disaster or similar scenario.

Nah, it wouldnt be useful. Why would we need guns? The governement and L.E will help us. :rolleyes:

terdog
11-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Pick up your skirt and grab your balls and stop blaming anyone else but the politicians for stealing your rights

nope. You got no one to blame but yourself for sticking your head in the sand and NOT BEING POLITICALY ACTIVE.

Glock31B
11-27-2012, 10:15 AM
SO your saying when Im transporting my shotgun I have to keep it in a locked container? Since when, did something change recently? I just throw it in the back unloaded and seperate from the ammo..... And for the open carry movement in my opinion, STUPID.

NytWolf
11-27-2012, 10:30 AM
SO your saying when Im transporting my shotgun I have to keep it in a locked container? Since when, did something change recently? I just throw it in the back unloaded and seperate from the ammo..... And for the open carry movement in my opinion, STUPID.

You don't lock your firearm, yet you keep it separate from the ammo? There is no law that says you have to keep them separated.

taperxz
11-27-2012, 4:30 PM
Ah yes open carry of rifles. Mr. Portantino excluded and exempted "hunters" from this law when traveling to or from hunting. Incorporated or not incorporated areas. You just need to be going to or from hunting to practice this exemption. Ammo can't be in the gun as always.

It should also be noted that the open carry of rifles in a vehicle was NOT part of the bill! There is no mention of having to have a rifle in a vehicle and locked up or encased. The problem is the GFSZ! The rifle needs to be locked up when traveling through those areas. However, this has always been the law since the inception of the GFSZ law.

Basically this law is preventing people from being exhibitionists with their rifles at walmart and starbucks.

Rider1k
11-27-2012, 5:02 PM
It's a sad sad day when you have to worry about how your carrying your firearm while hunting

taperxz
11-27-2012, 5:03 PM
It's a sad sad day when you have to worry about how your carrying your firearm while hunting

Whats the worry? Nothing has changed for hunters.

Rider1k
11-27-2012, 5:06 PM
I know. Just hate all the confusion and that folks might be inclined to not enjoy the sport because of it.

taperxz
11-27-2012, 5:08 PM
I know. Just hate all the confusion and that folks might be inclined to not enjoy the sport because of it.

No confusion. Nothing has changed for hunters. Spread the word so others are not confused! :D

Rider1k
11-27-2012, 5:13 PM
No confusion. Nothing has changed for hunters. Spread the word so others are not confused! :D

I hear ya.

IVC
11-27-2012, 5:40 PM

Unfortunately, that's a big part of the plan to marginalize any gun related activity. The more confusing, the more tricky, the more legal mine field it becomes, the harder it is for regular folks to own guns.

XVIga_Rob
11-27-2012, 6:53 PM
Ah yes open carry of rifles. Mr. Portantino excluded and exempted "hunters" from this law when traveling to or from hunting. Incorporated or not incorporated areas. You just need to be going to or from hunting to practice this exemption. Ammo can't be in the gun as always.

It should also be noted that the open carry of rifles in a vehicle was NOT part of the bill! There is no mention of having to have a rifle in a vehicle and locked up or encased. The problem is the GFSZ! The rifle needs to be locked up when traveling through those areas. However, this has always been the law since the inception of the GFSZ law.

Basically this law is preventing people from being exhibitionists with their rifles at walmart and starbucks.

Thanks! This clarifies things for hunting scenarios. So it's for "normal" transport (from the house or apartment to the car parked on the street, in Starbucks, Walmart, etc., etc.) in an incorporated area, where it needs to be in a case, and out of sight from the gun fearing public. This makes more sense now. :(