PDA

View Full Version : 80% Build question

Moonshine
11-26-2012, 3:52 PM
OK I know pistol build require a maker and serial # to be added does this law extend to rifles build for personal use only? And if one were to get sick of a rifle that was an 80% build are you stuck with it or can you add a maker and serial and DROS it assuming its only a onetime thing as Doing it often would obviously mean you needed an FFL07 correct?

Sunday
11-26-2012, 4:09 PM
OK I know pistol build require a maker and serial # to be added... no it doesn't.

cdtx2001
11-26-2012, 4:10 PM
If you are building a pistol for yourself, or any firearm for that matter, no serial number or maker ID info is required to be inscribed upon it. It is recommended that you do so for purposes of identification should it come up missing or some uneducated LEO want to ask questions about it. IF in the future you plan to part with it, it is highly recommended that a serial number and maker's info be inscribed on the firearm. You do not need an 07FFL to do this for you unless you plan to leave it with them for a period of time. You can have it engraved or stamped in your presence by anyone.

You cannot build a firearm with the intent to sell it later without the proper licensing (FFL 07/01).

stix213
11-26-2012, 4:15 PM
No serial number or make required on your own personal 80% pistol or rifle builds. You can optionally add them to either as well, and you must if you sell them. You cannot build either for the purpose of selling them.

Moonshine
11-26-2012, 4:26 PM
Not planning on selling but if I ended up with a full safe I might have to so wanted to keep that angle covered... You never know when PSA will have a killer deals on uppers and room for another AR-15 is needed LOL!

motorhead
11-26-2012, 11:08 PM
you could mark it if/when you decide to sell it.

12voltguy
11-27-2012, 8:58 AM
Not planning on selling but if I ended up with a full safe I might have to so wanted to keep that angle covered... You never know when PSA will have a killer deals on uppers and room for another AR-15 is needed LOL!

they are having a killer deak right now
I have 80s to build, so psa upper 249.99 bought today:D
no s/n's 4me

MiddleKingdom
11-27-2012, 6:22 PM
I was in a shop today and the owner said he'll have to stop selling 80% lowers in 2 months. He gave me the impression that they will no longer be legal. Does anyone know if this is just FUD?

repubconserv
11-27-2012, 6:26 PM
I was in a shop today and the owner said he'll have to stop selling 80% lowers in 2 months. He gave me the impression that they will no longer be legal. Does anyone know if this is just FUD?

FUD

G-Man WC
11-27-2012, 6:27 PM

What shop?
-g

MiddleKingdom
11-27-2012, 6:30 PM
Gears Of War... Sacramento.

Jason_2111
11-28-2012, 8:58 AM
FUD.

More like dire prediction, but at the moment, there's no talk of it.

Still, there's nothing stopping them from banning all kinds of things now at the state level since they have a super-majority.

stix213
11-28-2012, 3:34 PM

More bad gun shop wisdom :facepalm:

Its like some of these places just hear a random rumor from some know nothing and see it as their duty to repeat it to anyone that will listen.