PDA

View Full Version : Glock 40 cal kabooms, anyone?

sd_shooter
11-26-2012, 4:45 PM
So I'm considering a G23. I saw this recent youtube video, supposedly some factory ammo caused this kaboom:

9U3hlcJRtPY

Current Glock 40 cal owners:
- Do you reload? If so, any special concerns?
- Have you ever encountered a kaboom? (your own or someone else's)

BlackJack
11-26-2012, 5:01 PM
I have a G22 gen3 and have shot over 1,000 reloads and hundreds of factory rounds and have not had a problem.

That video is concerning since two Glocks blew up - one happened on his own Glock using reloads and the other on his neighbor's with factory ammo.

Mr. Gillious
11-26-2012, 5:05 PM
I have Glock 23. I've already shot a couple thousand rounds of 9mm, 357 sig, and 40SW thru it. I never had any kabooms.

The only problem I have is FTF sometimes with the 357 barrel

Ubermcoupe
11-26-2012, 5:06 PM
Every round fired is a controlled explosion and failures do happen, but it’s never happened to me, with my glocks, or any gun i’ve fired, in any caliber, reloads (my primary range ammo) or factory :shrug:

tleeocinca
11-26-2012, 5:08 PM
This is becoming more common for Glocks that shoot high pressure rounds. Glock doesn't have factory supported chambers

trooper357
11-26-2012, 5:09 PM
I also saw that video. What are the chances two different kabooms on the same day and two persons who know each other? I think it's probably a fix. Someone who doesn't like Glocks or someone who is trying to sell aftermarket barrels?

tleeocinca
11-26-2012, 5:11 PM
I own three Glocks, two of which .40 and I don't use after market, nor do I endorse. I simply just don't shoot reloads to be safe

RoundEye
11-26-2012, 5:11 PM
I have a G23 and a 27 and I have shot 1,000s of rounds of reloaded ammunition through them with no issues. The loads I purchase would be considered minor at 850fps or so, but most reloads lower in pressure than a factory round.

The only gun I have ever had KB on me was a G30SF (.45), and it was with a nickel case reload, and people tend to say those are more brittle. I did manage to capture the whole thing on video though.

O-647zSRGmk

He did say the shooter that had the KB as an officer, so perhaps it was a +p round. I know some of the Ranger rounds can near supersonic speeds in .40.

SJgunguy24
11-26-2012, 5:18 PM
I have a G23 and a 27 and I have shot 1,000s of rounds of reloaded ammunition through them with no issues. The loads I purchase would be considered minor at 850fps or so, but most reloads lower in pressure than a factory round.

The only gun I have ever had KB on me was a G30SF (.45), and it was with a nickel case reload, and people tend to say those are more brittle. I did manage to capture the whole thing on video though.

O-647zSRGmk

He did say the shooter that had the KB as an officer, so perhaps it was a +p round. I know some of the Ranger rounds can near supersonic speeds in .40.
That sucks man, glad you were OK.
I've never heard of a +p 40 cal, the 40 is already a high pressure round and is the reason why Glock installed the 3rd pin on their guns.
Glocks were 9mm guns by design, even Sig uses different frames for 9mm and the high pressure 40cal and 357sig.

RudyCakes
11-26-2012, 5:30 PM
I've been shooting my Glock 35 for years in 357 SIG, 40 and 9 and never had anything like that. Although, the 357 and 9mm barrels are aftermarket.

duggan
11-26-2012, 5:31 PM
Get a Steyr M40 it was designed for the .40 cal round has a supported chamber and is a better designed weapon.

RoundEye
11-26-2012, 5:36 PM
That sucks man, glad you were OK.
I've never heard of a +p 40 cal, the 40 is already a high pressure round and is the reason why Glock installed the 3rd pin on their guns.
Glocks were 9mm guns by design, even Sig uses different frames for 9mm and the high pressure 40cal and 357sig.

True, I don't think I have ever seen a SAAMI +P designation ever given to a .40, but I have personal experience shooting .40 that were approaching near 1100 FPS (Winchester Ranger JHP 155gr) which is a pretty hot load. Most other JHPs like PDX1 is around 900-970 FPS.

hermosabeach
11-26-2012, 5:40 PM
There was an ammo company out of Florida that had there ammo banned at front sight due to KB

Any high pressure round is more effected by setback

I crack up when I see shooters carping at the range- picked up rounds that they dropped in a class or rounds that others dropped or threw away

If the KB was a concern, you would see LEO dumping Glocks in .40 /.357 sig.

It is not an issue with good factory ammo.

If you are rechambering the same round over and over or practicing clearance malfunctions, check the ammo before you shoot.

HighLander51
11-26-2012, 5:50 PM
Yea, it happens, most commonly from reloads, specifically bullet setback, and from American Ammo out of Miami, looks like Federal red box. He shouldn't have dropped the gun though. I blew up a G34 years ago and took 4 stitches to my middle finger right hand from the mag catch blowing out.

corcoraj2002
11-26-2012, 5:52 PM
I also saw that video. What are the chances two different kabooms on the same day and two persons who know each other? I think it's probably a fix. Someone who doesn't like Glocks or someone who is trying to sell aftermarket barrels?

Wasn't the same day. In the video he says there was a month between the kabooms still too close for two guys that live across the street.

jonc
11-26-2012, 5:57 PM
If that happens to you.

You should buy LOTTO!!!!

ASAP

RoundEye
11-26-2012, 6:07 PM
He shouldn't have dropped the gun though. I blew up a G34 years ago and took 4 stitches to my middle finger right hand from the mag catch blowing out.

I guess I'm just not as cool as you are Highlander..... :rolleyes:

Oceanbob
11-26-2012, 6:14 PM
In defense of the GLOCK 23, I've owned 2 Gen2s (April 1994) and ran 1000s of reloads without issue. However, Glock did have some issues with the 23 barrels, and over the years they have increased the chamber support to equal the Lonewolf aftermarket barrel. I have a newer G23 now and the chamber support is excellent.

Also, the in the above VIDEO, the Glock 23 (with perhaps 10,000 rounds thru it) has the OLD BARREL.

The video GLOCK serial number is HZW - G-23 - March 2006 - 3rd Gen

Being a March 2006 barrel makes it one of the OLD STYLE chambers and you can see in this photo, GLOCK made the improvements thru the years.

I think GLOCK will upgrade the barrels for free. Be safe folks....

http://i43.tinypic.com/scujd2.jpg

SilverTauron
11-26-2012, 6:48 PM
Fired my G22 recently and pulled the casings. No smiley faces on the brass, so IMO its just another gun rumor. Glocks blow up, Berettas will bust your grille, and 1911s require gunsmith attention to work reliably. Guess we should all shoot revolvers then.

Distro
11-26-2012, 7:52 PM
This is becoming more common for Glocks that shoot high pressure rounds. Glock doesn't have factory supported chambers

More common? Maybe if you just joined the internet.

1911/2011 kabooms are becoming more common.

pH-Wx85SOQo

Glocks and 1911 kabooms are becoming more common.
GmwOGiDNXis

Ubermcoupe
11-26-2012, 7:54 PM
I crack up when I see shooters carping at the range- picked up rounds that they dropped in a class or rounds that others dropped or threw away

I do it all the time and usually pull the bullet and reload it. :shrug:

Never had an issue.

But I am a firm believer in set back and won’t rechamber my HD rounds. :o

GunDog
11-26-2012, 8:49 PM
I had a kaboom with a Glock 23 about 9 years ago. Was shooting 180gr cast reloads through a factory barrel. Had a case separation and bits of brass blew through the left side of the grip. Other than a sore hand, I was not injured nor was anyone else on the firing line. I chalk the kaboom up to firing cast lead bullets through a factory polygonal rifled barrel and a chamber that was not fully supported. The pistol was repairable after I pried out the pieces of brass from the grip. Shortly thereafter, I sold the pistol and swore that I would never own another Glock. That is until three years ago when I fell in love with the Glock 21SF and last year when I purchased my Glock 30SF. I still don't care for the .40 S&W round although I did shoot one for a while in a Browning HP. Moral of the story is follow Glock's advice and don't shoot reloads especially cast lead through a factory barrel. Buy an aftermarket barrel with standard rifling if you insist on shooting reloads.

huckberry668
11-26-2012, 10:39 PM
I had a G21 in 45ACP that blew up in my hands in the mid 90s. It's the only gun that ever blew up from the 10,000s of rounds I fired. Glock barrel design is as supported as can be.

1911 unramped barrel is truely unsupported. We see more blew up Glocks in the shop than any other pistols. In most cases the barrel split on the sides just like the first video.

I believe Glock chambers are reamed and cut on the max side and some 'out of spec' in the name of reliable feeding. I've seen a few over-sized rifle chambers causing premature case head separation. My senses tell me the 'Glocked' (bulged) cases may be precursors to blowing up.

sd_shooter
11-27-2012, 6:42 AM
Get a Steyr M40 it was designed for the .40 cal round has a supported chamber and is a better designed weapon.

I already have one! :D Great weapon indeed.

ap3572001
11-27-2012, 6:58 AM
Both of my G23's ( I sold them a while back) and both of my GEN2 G22's that I use on and off duty are great guns!

I ONLY use FEDERAL HST and WIN Ranger JHP's in them. I NEVER used a reload or a generic brand ammo.

NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.