PDA

View Full Version : Good small HD weapon recommends

Capybara
11-26-2012, 4:27 PM
I have decided that having all of my guns in a safe and the ammo locked up elsewhere does me no good in the event of a robbery or home invasion. They are still rare in my area but they do happen and I have no doubt with the continued slow recovery of the economy, more people are going to turn to desperate measures.

I have found a pretty hidden and obscure, yet quick access spot to stash a handgun (in a slimline handgun safe) but I don't know what a good HD small pistol is, I looked at the Glock 26 a week ago and it seems nice, I like Glocks, but is there a better recommendation for something small, especially something railed that I could attach a small light to? I am pretty settled on 9mm, want 10 shot capacity so that rules out a revolver, will have a couple of spare mags available. I don't care as much about a laser as a flashlight and if it is small gun, obviously the light and or laser needs to be small.

I own five other handguns, have taken just basic handgun training, no defensive courses yet, I will also be going for my CCW soon but the primary reason for this gun is a stashed HD gun at home. All of my handguns are full sized (Ruger P95, CZ75 SP01, Springfield 1911-A1) and heavy, I don't know much about CCW-type small guns.

On the off chance that I can actually obtain a CCW (I live in Ventura County, they are pretty tough to get here, but people have told me that my GC sounds good), I would also carry this gun but assuming I won't get the CCW, want something for at home at least.

Thanks for any recommendations.

ThatTallGuy
11-26-2012, 4:37 PM
You can't go wrong with a glock. It hits all the criteria that you're asking for. That being said look at the sub compact Springfield XD series or the Smith & Wesson M&P shield. Try them all out and see what fits you the best. Good luck on the hunt.

JeremyS
11-26-2012, 4:44 PM
None of your existing guns fit in the "safe?" Do you have a link or dimensions for the safe?

I'd say:

Shotgun
Any reliable handgun

Maybe an M&P Compact. Or a Glock. Or anything reliable that fits in there haha. Or an H&K P7. or, or, or... way too many choices. Browse the used classifieds.

Travis590A1
11-26-2012, 4:44 PM
Id rather have a full size, I'm in ventura county too ;)

XDJYo
11-26-2012, 5:14 PM
More important over size in a HD situation is the ability to shoot accurately. That is something only you can discover after time at the range. If it fits the size criteria, then great, but I wouldn't put that above the ability to shoot well and take multiple shots accurately.

The HD scenario is a huge responsibility.

SA227driver
11-26-2012, 5:17 PM
You can't go wrong with a Glock. I swap between a G19, 26 for carry and home defense and a G30SF and G21SF for outdoors and home defense. The G30SF in .45 even has a small accessory rail, but I just leave a bright LED rear push button flashlight next to my HD handgun.

den888
11-26-2012, 5:29 PM
A Glock is a great choice. I have a S&W 442 snubbie for HD and a Glock.

Capybara
11-26-2012, 5:48 PM
I would like to just use my CZ75 SP-01 for this purpose but the area I am installing the safe is tight on room, I don't think a full size handgun safe will fit. I spent a couple of hours going over spots in the bedroom and there are very few places where a burglar wouldn't obviously see any kind of small safe.

I found one of those rare places where no normal person would ever look or think of stashing anything, it's almost in plain site but just a weird place to stash anything valuable.

My only experience with small guns is my Ruger SR22, which I know is no good for HD, but I like that size for HD and or CC.

Capybara
11-26-2012, 6:17 PM
You can't go wrong with a glock. It hits all the criteria that you're asking for. That being said look at the sub compact Springfield XD series or the Smith & Wesson M&P shield. Try them all out and see what fits you the best. Good luck on the hunt.

My father in law has the small sized Springfield XD so I will be able to shoot that and compare it, but I am leaning toward the original Tupperware gun, the Glock. Have to see if a 19 would fit. 19 or 26, any opinions guys?

drunktank
11-26-2012, 6:26 PM
Have you shot a 26? I can't reliably trust my life with one so went with a 19. Some people (me) can't do well at all with the short grip of a GLOCK 26.

Oceanbob
11-26-2012, 6:34 PM
Get a dog, some outside lights, good locks, alarm system and a GLOCK 26.

XDJYo
11-26-2012, 7:36 PM
If you have difficulty with the Glock, then the suggestions for an XD are spot on. No manual safety to speak of, very reliable, available in different configurations and calibers and they're an easy pistol to shoot and maintain. Plenty of aftermarket stuff available too. Plus it's a Springfield and their warranty and customer service are beyond reproach.

ClarenceBoddicker
11-26-2012, 7:36 PM
Both the Glock G-19 & G-26 are awesome. Which ever one works best for you & fits should be fine. I've got both & couldn't imagine not having either.

bsg
11-26-2012, 7:42 PM
G26 is gtg.

hybridkarpower
11-26-2012, 7:43 PM
Have you considered a Glock 27 ? Add a Pierce grip extension (+1) & you'll have a 10 rounder in 40.

ICONIC
11-26-2012, 7:44 PM
Ruger LCR in .357

artoaster
11-26-2012, 7:45 PM
Glock 17

You wouldn't shrink your hand, why shrink your pistol?

Distro
11-26-2012, 8:00 PM
Glock 17

You wouldn't shrink your hand, why shrink your pistol?

Maybe because he already has a full size pistol that he clearly stated wouldn't fit in the area he is installing the safe. But you would have to read the thread to actually find that info.

Capybara
11-26-2012, 8:54 PM
Just watched some comparison videos on YouTube, I think the G19 is looking more like what I am looking for, it has the rail for a small light. Or I guess I could always do the handheld flashlight but it seems as if gun mounted might be better in the heat of the moment?

Euphoria526
11-26-2012, 9:00 PM
I have decided that having all of my guns in a safe and the ammo locked up elsewhere does me no good in the event of a robbery or home invasion. They are still rare in my area but they do happen and I have no doubt with the continued slow recovery of the economy, more people are going to turn to desperate measures.

I have found a pretty hidden and obscure, yet quick access spot to stash a handgun (in a slimline handgun safe) but I don't know what a good HD small pistol is, I looked at the Glock 26 a week ago and it seems nice, I like Glocks, but is there a better recommendation for something small, especially something railed that I could attach a small light to? I am pretty settled on 9mm, want 10 shot capacity so that rules out a revolver, will have a couple of spare mags available. I don't care as much about a laser as a flashlight and if it is small gun, obviously the light and or laser needs to be small.

I own five other handguns, have taken just basic handgun training, no defensive courses yet, I will also be going for my CCW soon but the primary reason for this gun is a stashed HD gun at home. All of my handguns are full sized (Ruger P95, CZ75 SP01, Springfield 1911-A1) and heavy, I don't know much about CCW-type small guns.

On the off chance that I can actually obtain a CCW (I live in Ventura County, they are pretty tough to get here, but people have told me that my GC sounds good), I would also carry this gun but assuming I won't get the CCW, want something for at home at least.

Thanks for any recommendations.
What about just getting a p01? It's small enough, not micro but concealable.

Capybara
11-26-2012, 9:06 PM
Looking at small handgun safes, wow, this video is interesting. Wonder if it is rigged or legit? http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcwebertobias/2012/07/27/unsafe-gun-safes-can-be-opened-by-a-three-year-old/

Rorge Retson
11-26-2012, 9:21 PM
What about just getting a p01? It's small enough, not micro but concealable.

Yep - for HD I like small, all-steel pistols. Easier to control and stay on target for second (and third, etc.) shots.

For 9mm my choice is the P-01 (http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p01/) and for .40 my choice is the P-06 (http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p06/).

P-01 (P-06 is identical)

https://czusamedia.s3.amazonaws.com/cache/82/d7/82d7a7b6b9d62d2870d510e8e753140c.png

Euphoria526
11-26-2012, 9:26 PM
Looking at small handgun safes, wow, this video is interesting. Wonder if it is rigged or legit? http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcwebertobias/2012/07/27/unsafe-gun-safes-can-be-opened-by-a-three-year-old/

Jeebus,
But seriously though, what toddler is going to know to use get a lock picking device / dental tools.

Euphoria526
11-26-2012, 9:27 PM
Yep - for HD I like small, all-steel pistols. Easier to control and stay on target for second (and third, etc.) shots.

For 9mm my choice is the P-01 (http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p01/) and for .40 my choice is the P-06 (http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p06/).

P-01 (P-06 is identical)

https://czusamedia.s3.amazonaws.com/cache/82/d7/82d7a7b6b9d62d2870d510e8e753140c.png

Same. Love my p01. Accurate as poop

Rorge Retson
11-26-2012, 9:28 PM
Same. Love my p01. Accurate as poop

Seriously...you'd think this was GlockTalk.

I feel like I need to post 5 times just to counter the full-on Glock-Fest/Glock Orgy that is this thread. :rolleyes:

JeremyS
11-26-2012, 9:32 PM
Looking at small handgun safes, wow, this video is interesting. Wonder if it is rigged or legit?

This is why I put "safe" in quotes in my first post. Don't confuse a safe with a vault or a case. Most small, locking handgun containers on the market are NOT to be confused with safes. They will keep out an honest person and are a great safety measure to have if you leave a loaded gun somewhere and don't want guests or family members to get a hold of it. They will not keep out somebody willing to break the case to access the contents, and you can break any of these sorts of cases (and even most inexpensive "safes" like stack-on and such) in about 2 seconds with a screwdriver and a hammer.

I use one of these (http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV300-NanoVault-Combination-Lock/dp/B003841ZBS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1353993834&sr=8-2&keywords=gunvault+nano) in my bedroom, which I have locked to the bed frame with the included cable. It's on the nightstand under some magazines. It is NOT a safe and I have no illusions otherwise. I would hope that A) it wouldn't be found quickly and B) the cable and such would slow them down enough that they would just pass. If they have tools, it's gone. However, if you don't lock your safe down, it's gone. Even a 500 lb safe needs to be bolted down, because the first thing robbers try to do is take the entire thing so they can take their sweet time breaking into it later.

One of the only small safes that's actually a true safe is a Ft. Knox: https://www.ftknox.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=59 ...but they're not that small...

JeremyS
11-26-2012, 9:49 PM
BTW these videos are pretty long and a bit dry, but I thought they were pretty good and informative.

qasqZXdQKpg ltK-bDbADa8

Most of the small cases like the gunvault I use and even many "safes" like Sentry Safe and plenty of other brands just have little metal hooks that rotate to lock the door/lid shut. They're pretty thin and not very strong. Put a flat head screwdriver in a seam, hit it with a hammer, maybe give it a quick pry, and you've popped the door/lid open or totally off. They're very, very easy to break into.

I still think they're a good idea to have and use!!! But for your real gun storage in the garage or basement, use a real safe. Night stand... the Ft. Knox is probably the best but anything's better than nothing. Just make sure it's bolted down or cable locked or something to make it hard to carry away.

XDJYo
11-26-2012, 9:58 PM

I bought one of those safes at a local shop a few months back, totally flimsy. I can't remember exactly which one, but I'm glad I returned it.

To me, if they're that complicated, there's a lot to either fail or go wrong and it won't open or it won't lock or stay locked.

Since my miniscule gun collection of one will be growing sometime in the near future, I'm looking into a full blown safe for the pistols and other valuables.

You could forego a bedside safe while you sleep and go IWB??? LOL!

JTROKS
11-26-2012, 10:39 PM
I rely on my Sig P6 with 3 loaded mags inside a fanny pack, a folding knife, flashlight, pepper spray, 5 rounds of #4 12gauge ammo, pen and notepad. The fannypack hangs on the nightstand. When I'm doing something in the garage I have a S&W 640 no dash and an extra strip with 6 rounds. If I feel I'm under gunned then I'm running to my 12 gauge.

TheCorporation
11-27-2012, 1:09 AM
Glock 19

BillCA
11-27-2012, 1:33 AM
Capybara,

Despite the Glock Fanboys cheering section, I'd suggest not using a Glock, XD or M&P series unless you are used to the ignition systems on these guns. The lack of an external safety could cause serious problems IMO.

In your hurry/excitement/adrenaline rush you incur an unintentional discharge. This could endanger innocents and/or prematurely alert thugs you're armed.
If an unauthorized person (kids, thug) finds it they can easily use it immediately.
If stored with an empty chamber it adds a second to prepare the gun.
No easy way to "safe" the gun for expedient carry (pocket, waistband) without a holster or put it down safely in the aftermath¹.

I'd vote for the CZ P-01 as a good place to start. Other suggestions:

Bersa Thunder Ultra-Compact Pro (http://www.bersa.com/bersa-firearms/thunder-uc-pro-series.html) 9mm/.40 S&W

Colt's New Agent 9mm pistol (http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtNewAgentSeries.aspx) (7812D)
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/BillCA/Hobby/stock/Colt_defender_Newagent_SA_7810D.jpg

S&W Model 3913 Ladysmith or 3914 9mm (Used market) 8+1 capacity.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/BillCA/Hobby/misc/457s_large.jpg
S&W 3914 shown
The 391x pistols are compact, single-stack reliable pistols. The bobbed hammer allows hammer down on a chambered round w/o impact worries. Traditional DA/SA action.

Ruger SR-9C Compact (http://www.ruger.com/products/sr9c/models.html) - double stack polymer 9mm.
Ruger LC9 (http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9/models.html) if the SR9 is too big.

Good Hunting

¹ Here I'm thinking of putting it down on a table when PD arrives but a curious child wanders over to it... :eek:

Distro
11-27-2012, 2:18 AM
Seriously...you'd think this was GlockTalk.

I feel like I need to post 5 times just to counter the full-on Glock-Fest/Glock Orgy that is this thread. :rolleyes:

Shocked, absolutely shocked that a thread where the OP asks about a Glock is filled with discussion about Glock.

ElDub1950
11-27-2012, 2:37 AM
The G19 solves your problem of mounting a light. Most people find it easy to carry. Some people don't like the short grip of the G26 .. I happen to prefer it and carry the G27.

No reason to not have the G19 and the G26 both :)

Rorge Retson
11-27-2012, 2:51 AM
Shocked, absolutely shocked that a thread where the OP asks about a Glock is filled with discussion about Glock.

"Good small HD weapon recommends"

Reading comprehension issues abound, yet again.

artoaster
11-27-2012, 5:04 AM
Maybe because he already has a full size pistol that he clearly stated wouldn't fit in the area he is installing the safe. But you would have to read the thread to actually find that info.

I did read it, sir. My recommendation still stands regardless of your sarcasm.

Besides, if one already has five handguns and is still struggling over a problem that exists only in the mind because it has yet to occur and probably will not happen as expected then why is the handgun becoming smaller? Is the smaller space it will be stored in the one and only place this HD scenario is going to play out for?

The mind invents some rather strange ideas sometimes. There are some good thoughts already posted about having security measures like a dog or other HD options. I think some training might be better than adding one smaller pistol to a home with five handguns already there. That's all.

BTW, full size frames are GTG for CCW. You just have to get the proper setup and don't necessarily need to compromise handling for size. Again Glock 17 will be ideal as CCW.

Capybara
11-27-2012, 11:05 AM
I have a 700lb 28 gun safe elsewhere in the house but it is not accessible from the bedroom, you would have to pass all areas where someone would probably break in to get to it.

Small gun is also because I will be getting my wife HD training as well as myself. Makes sense to me to buy a small handgun for this purpose for two reasons. The area I want to stash this pistol is small if I want to keep the handgun safe out of sight and I may end up carrying this gun also for CCW. Makes perfect sense to me.

Yes, I could use one of my other guns for HD, but I would rather have a dedicated HD gun. As far as brand, I like Glocks. I also like the Springfield XD. I want something relatively inexpensive, ultra reliable and rugged and plastic guns seem to meet the criteria. The small CZ is appealing too because I love all of my CZs.

I will be renting and trying out all of these before making a decision. Thanks everyone for the advice and recommendations.

dpop24
11-27-2012, 12:01 PM
I have a 700lb 28 gun safe elsewhere in the house but it is not accessible from the bedroom, you would have to pass all areas where someone would probably break in to get to it.

Small gun is also because I will be getting my wife HD training as well as myself. Makes sense to me to buy a small handgun for this purpose for two reasons. The area I want to stash this pistol is small if I want to keep the handgun safe out of sight and I may end up carrying this gun also for CCW. Makes perfect sense to me.

Yes, I could use one of my other guns for HD, but I would rather have a dedicated HD gun. As far as brand, I like Glocks. I also like the Springfield XD. I want something relatively inexpensive, ultra reliable and rugged and plastic guns seem to meet the criteria. The small CZ is appealing too because I love all of my CZs.

I will be renting and trying out all of these before making a decision. Thanks everyone for the advice and recommendations.

I would not use the same weapon for CCW as for HD because whenever you are carrying it, you leave the wife without the firearm that she is trained with. Now, if you got two of them, then that sounds like a good plan!

ZX-10R
11-27-2012, 5:47 PM
M&P for the win.