PDA

View Full Version : pmag dust cover- wtf

filthy phil
11-26-2012, 3:00 PM
i have 20 something pmags (30's) 3 gen 3's and the rest gen 2's. most have been loaded since i got them and i had the dust cover snapped on the bottom. i recently saw some folks were using the dust cover to help relieve tension on the feed lips (personally i'd like to keep the mag ready to go, for zombies and such, but w/e)
so i go to snap the dust cover on the top and 3 or 4 mags (both the gen2 and the gen3) wont snap into place on top. even when i downloaded by a few rounds.( maybe i stretched the dust cover and i could heat it up and make it work?)
i got them so cheap i could just use those for range use and keep the others loaded. maybe get some replacement springs just in case..
i know i'm prolly being anal about this but i was just curious if other pmag owners had this issue:confused:
thanks

nothinghere2c
11-26-2012, 4:01 PM
dust covers on mine are fairly tight and need a good whacking to snap on but they all seem to fit

filthy phil
11-26-2012, 4:32 PM
someone on silencer talk had the same problem. maybe i screwed up the dust cover(stretched?) putting them on the bottom

Merc1138
11-26-2012, 5:20 PM
I don't see how snapping them onto the bottom would have stretched it out. Post a pic of it not fitting correctly so we can see what you're talking about.

filthy phil
11-27-2012, 2:01 AM
I don't see how snapping them onto the bottom would have stretched it out. Post a pic of it not fitting correctly so we can see what you're talking about.

no cam at the moment but the little "teeth" that fit in the small notches in the back side of the mag wont lock in.
is that how you folks keep pmags mags? cover locked on top?

Todosi
11-29-2012, 12:32 PM
The first thing I did with all of my pmags was to get rid of those useless dust covers.

nothinghere2c
11-29-2012, 12:59 PM
lol yeah I don't really use the dust covers. I tried them out and was annoyed by them

Rockit
11-29-2012, 1:03 PM
The first thing I did with all of my pmags was to get rid of those useless dust covers.

they supposedly keep the lips in good shape if you keep your mags loaded.

L4D
11-29-2012, 1:10 PM
they supposedly keep the lips in good shape if you keep your mags loaded.

They they should have called them lip savers.....

filthy phil
11-29-2012, 3:07 PM
i asked a magpul big wig about this, from another gun forum

I keep most of my training mags loaded to 30 with no covers, same with the ones in my kit. We've got original PMAGS that have been loaded for most of the last 5 years with no covers. My social mags are all in ammo cans, so they have covers.

The cover isn't needed for loaded storage at all, as far as feed lip pressure is concerned. The covers push the round stack off the feed lips, but it's not because the pressure on the feed lips will cause any damage. It's so that if the magazine takes a HARD impact with the cover on...like 10 foot drop loaded onto the feed lips, the weight of the round stack impacts the ground through the cover instead of transmitting that impact through the feed lips. Plus, the spring tension of the cover against the round stack acts as a shock absorber against feed lip impact. The GEN M2 is strong, the GEN M3 much more so, but the cover provides extra protection against serious abuse. Not necessary for loaded storage at all.

In fact we held a bunch of GEN M3s in the thermotron at 180 degrees for three days fully loaded with no change in the feed lips, or anything else for that matter. We'll probably keep pushing that envelope to see how hot we can get them.

If you're superstitious, or if 30 doesn't seat right for you on a closed bolt, or if they're going to be loaded a long long time and you just want to be sure, load 28. Use the covers if you can or want to, especially in a dusty environment or where they're subject to rough handling...they certainly don't hurt...but all the evidence I've seen and all my personal experience says that you'll be just fine without them, and fully loaded.
info@magpuldynamics.com

Magpul Dynamics
www.magpuldynamics.com
Magpul Industries Corp
www.magpul.com

Scuba Steve33
11-29-2012, 3:47 PM
I would offer you guys all of the dust covers from my Pmags but I threw them in the trash right away. They are useless, don't worry about them.