PDA

View Full Version : Gun Laws by County

weix11
11-26-2012, 1:40 PM
Hello,

I live in Contra Costa County, and I was wondering if there are any gun laws here in addition to state laws. Does everyone in this state follow the same laws? or can it vary somewhat by county? I ask this because I plan on buying an OLL rifle, and I wanted to know if the bullet button was legal in my county or not? I also don't want to get any suspicious stares at the local shooting range either.

Thanks

Librarian
11-26-2012, 1:54 PM
Hello,

I live in Contra Costa County, and I was wondering if there are any gun laws here in addition to state laws. Does everyone in this state follow the same laws? or can it vary somewhat by county? I ask this because I plan on buying an OLL rifle, and I wanted to know if the bullet button was legal in my county or not? I also don't want to get any suspicious stares at the local shooting range either.

Thanks

The state has 'occupied the whole field' of gun laws in some areas - see http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/State_Preemption_of_Some_Gun_Regulation

Essentially, the laws are statewide; a very few lower jurisdictions have some little twitches; for example, Los Angeles City has managed to make 1-handgun-in-30-days apply to private party transactions, while that does NOT apply anywhere else.

A 'bullet button' is a solution to a state law. You'll be fine.

stix213
11-26-2012, 3:12 PM
Counties can have rules on where firearms can be fired, such as distance to structures, etc.

Ford8N
11-26-2012, 4:42 PM
CCW law is made up by individual Sheriff's of every county.

Librarian
11-26-2012, 6:53 PM

Well, no, not really.

The law is state law. Since there are no objective criteria for a couple of terms in state law regarding LTC, e.g. 'good character' and 'good cause', by law they can interpret those as they wish.

A few do add some illegal or extra-legal embellishments ...

Ford8N
11-27-2012, 4:56 AM
Well, no, not really.

The law is state law. Since there are no objective criteria for a couple of terms in state law regarding LTC, e.g. 'good character' and 'good cause', by law they can interpret those as they wish.

A few do add some illegal or extra-legal embellishments ...
=

:D

sfhondapilot
11-27-2012, 5:32 AM
Local laws have a greater impact on ammunition sales and the willingness of certain companies to ship to the "restricted" cities.

volksweegle
11-27-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm moving out of california.

Glock31B
11-27-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm moving out of california.

+1 on that

Librarian
11-27-2012, 10:55 AM
=

:D

I disagree, which is why I posted. If you don't see the distinction - and it's a technicality - well, there we are.