PDA

View Full Version : My first handgun purchase XD 40 or something else???

countrystateofmind33
11-26-2012, 10:29 AM
I am experienced with firearms, and have a few rifles and revolvers handed down to me. I recently turned 21 and want to purchase my first handgun for home defense. I am pretty dead set on the caliber, being .40 S&W. I like various models of the Glock, but being an American, I want an American gun. I like the Kimber a lot, but the Springfield XD 40 has caught my attention. I have fired a Glock and A Kimber in various calibers, and like them both. I also have fired a Sig in 40 S&W and like this, but not as much as the others. Does anyone have any helpful information on the XD? This is the gun that appeals to me the most, because of cost and practicality. I have unfortunately not been able to get my hands on one of these to shoot yet. Of course I will shoot it for myself before I purchase, however I just want experienced gun owners opinions on the different options out there.

Thanks for your help.

Rorge Retson
11-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Where are you located? If you're in San Diego I'd be happy to let you shoot mine (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=635894) (while I still have it).

You could also shoot the .357 Sig barrel/ammo if you like. :)

MA2
11-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Ummm...XD's are made in Croatia. Imported by Springfield USA.
Great guns, I like my XD40 :)

S&W M&P and Ruger SR40 are USA made.

Hope this info does not sway your judgement on what gun fits you, but thought you should know.

Rocksteady1
11-26-2012, 11:12 AM
A lot of glock models are now made in usa. I just bought a g19. It doesn't say Austria its says usa.

stilly
11-26-2012, 11:55 AM
I sold my XD 40 tactical. I hated it. It was very picky on ammo. CCI blazer brass jammed it, UMC jammed it, remington Jammed it, It LOVED the WWB though. I dunno if they fixed the issue with it or not (first gen I think) but from the few XD40 owners who chimed in it sounds like maybe they did. I replaced mine with a SIG and have loved it. So far about 400 rounds through it with no issues. (sig p-226 equinox 40 cal).

The only problem I have ever encountered with a glock is that everytime I pull the trigger they fire... AND I am not a fan boy, but I DO own two of them.

d4v0s
11-26-2012, 12:22 PM
I am experienced with firearms, and have a few rifles and revolvers handed down to me. I recently turned 21 and want to purchase my first handgun for home defense. I am pretty dead set on the caliber, being .40 S&W. I like various models of the Glock, but being an American, I want an American gun. I like the Kimber a lot, but the Springfield XD 40 has caught my attention. I have fired a Glock and A Kimber in various calibers, and like them both. I also have fired a Sig in 40 S&W and like this, but not as much as the others. Does anyone have any helpful information on the XD? This is the gun that appeals to me the most, because of cost and practicality. I have unfortunately not been able to get my hands on one of these to shoot yet. Of course I will shoot it for myself before I purchase, however I just want experienced gun owners opinions on the different options out there.

Thanks for your help.

I own two XD45s, one XD40, an XD9... XD45 is by far the best hand gun on the market. I have owned several 1911s, kimbers, sigs, P220, P238, P229, P226, M&P, SR9C and a few glocks (17,19, 35)...

Nothing comes close to the XD, I just finished stippling and reducing the grip on my 45 and its almost as slim as my XD9 now. The dual recoil spring just makes these pistols a joy to shoot. The grips suck though, ill try and post pics later of my work, but a good stipple job and reduction makes these better than any other gun around.

With that said, they are not made in the USA, they are imported. AND I chose the xd40 as my first pistol because "its better than 9, and less recoil than 45!" WRONG ha ha ha 40 isnt as good as 9mm, has more recoil than 45.. The price of 40 is also usually a few bucks from 45 for 500 or 1k, if you money is at all a concern go for the 9. I just bought a brick of 1k rounds for $130 shipped.

Oh yeah, and out of all my pistols
XD45DE 2k+ rounds no ftf, no fte
XD45BLK 3500+ rounds no ftf no fte one dud reload
XD40 5000+ rounds cheap ammo only, one ftf on a improperly sized round, two light primer strikes in the last 6 years. Could have been ammo who knows.
XD9 750 rounds, no ftf, no fte, feels like a 22lr with cheap ammo, 147grain +p+ are fun.

Good luck

Euphoria526
11-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Xd's are great guns. My buddies got an xd9 and an xd40. I prefer them over glocks any day of the week

Katch
11-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Not trying to sway you, but why are you set on a .40? If you wind up shooting a lot, you may regret not getting a 9mm if cost is an issue...

OUTLAWZ
11-26-2012, 12:37 PM
IMHO, XD = Glock imitation. Why settle for less when you can get the real deal? Since you have narrowed down the caliber you want to shoot , pick up a Glock 23. You can also shoot, 9mm, .357 Sig and .40 (Correct Barrel & Magazine Required) out of a 23 as well. If you were to only have one HD gun, wouldn't it give you great piece of mind when times come for you to pull the trigger on your Glock it will go BANG and put lead on target. Try both the XD and Glock when you get a chance to shoot it for a side to side comparison then make your decision from there. I know that cost will always be a factor that everybody is concerned with but ask yourself, How much is a reliable HD gun worth to you when you need it? Good luck with the gun and let us know how it turns out.

Leon

TheExiled
11-26-2012, 12:53 PM
IMHO, XD = Glock imitation. Why settle for less when you can get the real deal?

Leon

While I support your right to your opinion, I have to disagree. I like both(and the M&P), and each has its own characteristics etc. For example, I have several friends who do not like Glocks, but enjoy my XD40

CSACANNONEER
11-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Unless your trust fund is a lot bigger than mine was at 21, I'd recommend getting a quality .22 first. That way, you'll have a gun that you can afford to shoot. By the time you shoot $100 worth of .22, you will still have it and will have saved enough on ammo to by a centerfire gun too.

sjm9877
11-26-2012, 1:15 PM
XD=horrible trigger. It's an imort. If your buying an import get a good one. HK,Sig,Beretta,Walther.

wsmc27
11-26-2012, 1:21 PM
Unless your trust fund is a lot bigger than mine was at 21, I'd recommend getting a quality .22 first. That way, you'll have a gun that you can afford to shoot. By the time you shoot $100 worth of .22, you will still have it and will have saved enough on ammo to by a centerfire gun too.

^^ Great idea.

OP, welcome to CG. The XD40 is very nice (rented one a few times), but why are you set on a 40? j/w

Of course, as mentioned in many threads, rent a few different guns and try them out. If you are set on USA made, maybe check out the M&P line. They seem very comfortable in hand to many people.

wsmc27
11-26-2012, 1:24 PM
XD=horrible trigger. It's an imort. If your buying an import get a good one. HK,Sig,Beretta,Walther.

Horrible? :rolleyes:

Maybe tell us what you are comparing it to?

An M&P? :p

:D

wsmc27
11-26-2012, 1:25 PM
oh i got that BACKWARDS, sorry.

I meant a GCNM 1911 maybe. :)

Rorge Retson
11-26-2012, 1:27 PM

IMHO, XD = Glock imitation.

While I admit to liking the Glock trigger better, to me the XD is an overall better fit, which is why I own two XDs (and zero Glocks. ;) )

Professor XD
11-26-2012, 4:11 PM
XD40 is a great gun... In fact, my favorite to shoot of my entire collection. Feels good in the hand, great trigger pull once you get past the trigger safety, and aims well after practice. Took me about 300 rds but I can damn near shoot a smiley face with her. Your only regret might be not getting it in 9mm for the price. A lot less snappy too... My wife hates shooting but loves shooting the xd9.

a1fabweld
11-26-2012, 7:26 PM
Another satisfied XD owner here. I own a few in 9 & 45. They have, in my experience been 100% reliable & very accurate. Not picky with ammo from reloads to Blazer to +P defense rounds. I can't find a single thing to gripe about with the XD platform. Every single round loaded in any of my XD's has fired & ejected. Glocks, HK's, M&P's, Sig's, etc are good as well. I honestly believe that it's what fits your hands best & which one you shoot best.

Everyone has their opinions. Some people's opinions are based on internet gossip more than 1st hand experience so take that information with a grain of salt. I've shot Glocks & they are fine guns as well. I don't like the grip angle but others do. The XD's just suit me better. Don't get too spun with the brand drama. There are lots of quality made guns out there. Just gotta find the right one for you.

Lugiahua
11-26-2012, 7:30 PM
I don't have 40, but have two XD9.
they take everything I use, from Jack Ross and Brown Bear to Federal HST.

it's a very reliable system, even Massad Ayoob uses one for his IPSC and IDPA games.

mlevans66
11-26-2012, 7:37 PM
Now I have an XDm in the 9mm format but I have to say I do love the gun. Now I do like the 40 cal round but I would only get a XDm in that format. Being in Kali I getting tired of "paying to play". Good luck on your purchase. :thumbsup:

Lugiahua
11-26-2012, 8:02 PM
I certainly want a XDM9.
I am fine with SSE process, but it's the magazines annoyed me since no one makes factory 10rd for XDM.

uhlan1
11-26-2012, 9:53 PM
I have an XDM in 9mm and an XD-45 Tactical, both nice guns. But for home defense I go to the G20 or 22. They always shoot. There are tons of aftermarket accessories, Easy to maintain. Mags are cheap. In my opinion, I'd go with a G23 or G22 with 9mm conversion barrels. You'll save a boatload on ammo at the range.

corcoraj2002
11-26-2012, 10:03 PM
My first hand gun was an XD-40. I got it for HD, so that is why it was first. Great weapon and the XD suits me better than a glock, my first glock is in jail at the moment.

Your best bet is to hire whatever guns you have researched and see what you shoot best.You will probably get a 9mm or .45 at some point on the future, like pringles you can't just have one.

I like the XD and my glock will be a hiking hunting handgun that I will not mind loosing when on the quad or whatever.

But for reference I can get 100 round of .22 for $7 or $20 .40 HD rounds for $25 or 100 9mm for $24. So depending on what you want go for it.

Just my $0.02

Zedrek
11-26-2012, 10:19 PM
I have the XD-40 Sub-compact. No problems with it and fun to shoot.

countrystateofmind33
11-27-2012, 7:35 AM
Not trying to sway you, but why are you set on a .40? If you wind up shooting a lot, you may regret not getting a 9mm if cost is an issue...

There was a story I heard about a man on pcp who got into a firefight with a police officer. The officer was using a glock 9mm and the man was using a .357 magnum. The officer put 5 bullets through the man first, meanwhile the man returned fire and killed the cop. End of story, the guy survives. I want a round that will drop someone instead of go right through him. I believe the .40 has that stopping power while not sacrificing too much velocity. However, I do like the .45 no matter how slow it goes. I would rather not use a 9mm for home defense, which is the reason I'm getting this gun. However 9mm would be a great round for a recreational hand gun. There's my reasoning. :cool: And thanks for everyone else's pointers! I didn't realize the XD's were imported! ultimately I want a gun that will be most efficient for me, but the American made factor makes me give preferential treatments to certain manufacturers.

a1fabweld
11-27-2012, 10:29 AM
The story we've been hearing of the guy on PCP must be 20+ years old. You have a better chance of winning the lottery than you have of running into a deranged lunatic strung out on PCP. With today's performance ammo, such as my favorite Remington Golden Sabre, it won't take five shots of 9mm to drop anyone. High on PCP or not. Plus if ammo is cheaper, you'll be able to shoot more. This means that you shot placement will be better leading to smoking the PCP guy more efficiently. If you're going to go 40 you might as well go 45. Ammo is almost the same price.

Do they even make PCP anymore?:confused: If so, I'd like to get hold of some, get high as a kite, bust into Hugh Hefners mansion & go for broke.

Rorge Retson
11-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Do they even make PCP anymore?:confused:

Hahahaha...you stole my reply!! :cool:

Don't you know that every criminal nowadays is on PCP? Actually, since 2009, all criminals have been Zombies on PCP, and can only be brought down by bullets that come in a box adorned with the proper shade of green... :rolleyes:

Mr. Gillious
11-27-2012, 10:40 AM
My brother has an XD9. It's very comfortable in the hand and fun to shoot. I do hate the grip saftey though and think it's kinda dumb and useless.

I shoot my glock 17 better though. If you go glock i recommend getting a glock 23 so you can change out the barrel to be 9mm or 357SIG.

My other brother has a S&W M&P40. It's very nice, not only because he won it at an NRA dinner (that lucky bastard), but because it just feels good in the hand, better than the glock. But it doesn't field strip fast enough like a glock.

I recommend glock 23

powaybob
11-27-2012, 10:44 AM
I have three XDs, 45 service, 45 tactical, and 9 tactical. I prefer them to my Glock 17 immensely. I like 1911s and revolvers, but if I have to choose one, its the XD.

J.D.Allen
11-27-2012, 10:45 AM
I would say go for a 9MM.

But if you are set on a .40 get a M&P 40 and don't look back

deadcoyote
11-27-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm a big Glock supporter, own both a couple Glocks and an XD in .40. INHO, the glock has a much better trigger, but the XD has (to me) lower recoil. Don't know why, I'm not a physicist, just seems like a lot less muzzle flip on the XD. Of course, I can still fire alot faster with the Glock and the cleaner/shorter reset, but I also have used that platform a lot more so maybe that's it too.

sd_shooter
11-27-2012, 11:50 AM
I'd vote Glock >> XD, simply because the XD has a very prominent slide lock that can get in the way.

aimsports
11-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Xd is gtg. I'd look it being the US gun you want. Consider the EMP in .40 if you have the scratch.

chief916
11-27-2012, 12:06 PM
I LOVE my XD-40

/end post

Sunday
11-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Having a 9mm, 40S@W and a 45acp I would recommend a 9mm.

em9sredbeam
11-27-2012, 12:23 PM
I love my XD 40. I like glocks, but prefer my XD. I have somewhere from 8,000-10,000 rounds through it with no replacement parts and have never had a problem. If you can afford to feed it, go for it. If you are local, you can try out mine before you go out and buy one. Just PM me.

Squid
11-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Don't forgeta Beretta.

ZX-10R
11-27-2012, 4:45 PM

Thanks for your help.

Unless it says made in America it is not...Try S&W M&P series or FN series.

Old4eyes
11-27-2012, 7:05 PM
I'll drop the old standby response:
Go to a range that rents and try different guns out.
By stating American only (and that is a great sentiment) you have eliminated a lot of good brands of guns out there. Pick the gun that feels good to you and that you shoot well, and go with that. If it's American made, great. If not, remember your life may depend on it and you want the best tool for this job. Buyer's remorse in a gun battle is a bad thing.

ThatTallGuy
11-27-2012, 8:21 PM
I bought an XD40 for my first handgun as well, in retrospect I should have went with a 9mm. I love the XD and the 40S&W but I can't afford to shoot the damn thing. I've put 550 down the pipe and have not had a single malfunction. They're great guns and I highly recommend them to anyone who asks.

wsmc27
11-28-2012, 1:13 PM
Dayyyyummmm...

fwiw, today I saw a XD40 4" out at DGM Santee in the counter display, red tag sale (was $499), it's 399.99

That's pretty good, ya? :confused:

Almost wish I wanted one of those instead of a new G34. hahaha :)

lunaticracer21
11-28-2012, 5:47 PM
I LIKE THE XD40 ITS A BAD AZZ GUN