PDA

View Full Version : Gyro Pistol

sfbay
11-26-2012, 10:40 AM
I came across a Gyro Pistol for sale and was wondering about the legalities in Cali for an in state FTF transfer. . .

Looks pretty cool, but the ammo seems out of this world expensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrojet

starsnuffer
11-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Is it actually registered as a firearm in California at the moment?

-W

sfbay
11-26-2012, 10:50 AM
What do you mean by registered it California?

Eddy's Shooting Sports
11-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Gyrojet pistols must be transferred via PPT. There is no exemption for handguns, even if C&R. It is a firearm.

Good luck with ammo. It's really just a novel collectors item these days. I have a few rounds I inherited from my dad, but I would never shoot them. If you decide to pass on it, I would appreciate it if you would pm me with the details of where it's for sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Czsp-01-9mm
11-26-2012, 11:01 AM
100 bucks a round if u can find it, there's a couple YouTube videos on them

uhlan1
11-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Not sure I'd go near that with a ten foot pole.

sfbay
11-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks guys... I was also trying to see if it fit around the smooth bore handgun clause and rocket clause, but I may have found the answer.

Any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device of a diameter greater than
20 California Firearms Laws 2006
0.60 inch, or any launching device therefor, and any projectile or similar device
containing any explosive or incendiary material or any other chemical substance,
other than the propellant for such device, except for devices designed primarily for
emergency or distress signaling purposes. (Penal Code 12301, 12303.)

Looks like it's not an explosive so i'm safe here...

An unconventional pistol means a firearm that does not have a rifled bore and has a
barrel or barrels less than 18 inches in length and an overall length of less than 26
inches. (Penal Code 12020(c)(12).)

The full code on this is to keep other ammo, like shotgun ammo being fired. Since the Gyro doesn't have an type of convential ammo that can be fired it's GTG?

Eddy's Shooting Sports
11-26-2012, 11:32 AM
My understanding is that Gyrojets are GTG under CA and Fed law in both 12mm and 13mm variants. My father had a very keen interest in Gyrojets and other MBA products. He knew Robert personally and bought and sold many of the pistols and a carbine or two back in the eighties. We even had one of the presentation models once. There were never any legal issues. I remember fondly getting to handle these unique guns and learn about all the variants of the guns and the ammo. We even shot a round once out of the MBA flare launcher. Kind of a Gyrojet zip gun!

Gyrojets are somewhat more common in the bay area since MBA was based at an old Nike missle site in San Ramon. that said, I think most of them are squirreled away in collections these days.

Eddy's Shooting Sports
11-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Not sure I'd go near that with a ten foot pole.

Why? These guns have been freely bought and sold for decades. There are also no known safety issues other than the potential for misfires. Most of them will never be shot anyway.

sfbay
11-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks Eddy!

:hurray:

uhlan1
11-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Why? These guns have been freely bought and sold for decades. There are also no known safety issues other than the potential for misfires. Most of them will never be shot anyway.

Sorry, probably could have phrased it better. I have no interest in a firearm I can't shoot or is reputedly unreliable. Reckon if you are a collector.........different, that's for sure.

Eddy's Shooting Sports
11-26-2012, 2:45 PM
Sorry, probably could have phrased it better. I have no interest in a firearm I can't shoot or is reputedly unreliable. Reckon if you are a collector.........different, that's for sure.

Got it. They're really neat though, if you've got the dough to spare.