PDA

View Full Version : Questions on s&w 22a

Czsp-01-9mm
11-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Been wanting a 22 handgun to just plink and have fun at the range and not worry about ammo Prices. So the wife gave me a budget of 300 so I guess the s&w 22a 5.5 in barrel fits the bill

I know I should save and get a buck mark or mk 22/45 or mk 2-3 but I wanna keep to the price range, so this goes out to the guys who shoot them, do u love them, are they somewhat reliable for a 22lr, picky on ammo?, accuracy and all that fun stuff

SneakyPete
11-26-2012, 2:44 PM
I bought the 22a in 2005. No problems in feeding etc, eats all typoes of ammo no problems, even old lead tipped rounds. All that being said...I should have waited and got the buckmark. The Smith doesnt have as many accessoiries, its not a "tack driver" but OK on accuracy. Id like to get a better front post but havent found one.

Go ahead and get one if ya really want/need it soon and or want your gal to be the sole buyer for ya but if you can wait and get the buckmark, that may be better.

Zeke003
11-26-2012, 2:54 PM
I picked mine up about 4 or 5 years ago and it's been problematic until just recently. I tried all kinds of ammo and nothing worked, replaced the internals that looked worn with new factory parts and it still didn't like certain ammo. The back part of the top, where the rear site is, snapped and I had to send it in for a replacement part. It works decently now with Federal bulk but it took a long time to "break in" at first. I'm looking for a buckmark now and I wouldn't buy another 22a.

Ledbetter
11-26-2012, 6:22 PM
The only gun I was ever anxious to sell. I have seven .22 pistols. Buck Mark is hard to beat for the price. Try to find a used S&W 422 or 622, my very favorite plinker.

jimdecarlo
11-26-2012, 8:52 PM
I've had mine for about a year now and have run about 3,000 rounds through it. I did have a jam problem initially but sent it back to S&W and it's been flawless since. If you have a limited budget it's not a bad gun. But it's not a Buck Mark either!