PDA

View Full Version : Help for my first 1911!

wicked liquid
11-26-2012, 7:45 AM
Hello all!
Bought my first 1911(Kimber TLE/RL) and get to pick it up today! Of course I am itching to get some aftermarket parts for it like a mag well and a couple more magazines for it. My question is, what brands to buy and what to stay away from? I have been all over the internet looking at everything from Kimber's site to Wilson Combat but there is so much out there its a little overwhelming. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

-hanko
11-26-2012, 7:46 AM
check the 1911 forums.

-hanko

wicked liquid
11-26-2012, 7:59 AM
Probably should have looked for that before posting this, sorry and thank you!

MA2
11-26-2012, 8:46 AM
Magwell, check out Smith & Alexander, it's a one piece checkered all the way down.

Magazine, Wilson Combat 47d are what they known for in the magazine side.
Tripp Research, but those never go on sale.

Grips, VZ Grips, there is a cyber Monday sale today 20% off, code is cyber20.
Want truly custom G10 grips, head over to Larry Davidson.

wicked liquid
11-26-2012, 9:50 AM
Magwell, check out Smith & Alexander, it's a one piece checkered all the way down.

Thank you so much! A friend at a local gun shop had recommended Smith and Alexander last week, but I couldn't for the life of me remember the name. I am going to check out the sale on the VZ grips, and get some wilson 47d's today! Thank you very much for the guidance!

redcliff
11-26-2012, 10:03 AM
If you insist on Wilson, go with ETM's. However the Tripp Research Cobra mags and Chp McCormick Power Mag+ are probably the best out there.

Wilson 47d's suffer from too weak of a spring and too short of a magazine tube imho.

big blaze
11-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Smith & Alexander is the way to go for a magwell and Kimber KIM Pro tac mags are good they have all steel construction & steel follower's.

DArBad
11-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Smith & Alexander is the way to go for a magwell and Kimber KIM Pro tac mags are good they have all steel construction & steel follower's.

+1 to this.

wicked liquid
11-26-2012, 7:12 PM
If you insist on Wilson, go with ETM's. However the Tripp Research Cobra mags and Chp McCormick Power Mag+ are probably the best out there.

Wilson 47d's suffer from too weak of a spring and too short of a magazine tube imho.

Tripp research I haven't heard of. Do they only make stuff for the 1911's?

wicked liquid
11-26-2012, 7:14 PM

I'm thinking I'm gonna have to buy one from everyone just to try them all. Or is it bad form to have mags from different manufacturers?

XDJYo
11-26-2012, 7:43 PM
The 1911 platform has MANY, MANY, and I mean DOZENS of choices in just about everything on the gun. You can literally spend the same amount you just spent to buy the gun in replacing bits and pieces.

My suggestion is to shoot it, practice with it and find out what you like about it first before you start going hog wild with different mags, grips, sights, magwells, trigger, sear, hammers, match barrels, holsters, ammo, safeties and well...you get the idea. Personally, I was going to get the Wilson 47D's, but they're more expensive than the mags I could get with my coupon (Springfield Armory Loaded Coupon)-$12 per mag! Nice!!! Anyways, I figured that the factory mags are working just fine for me now, I can get 3 mags for the price of 1 Wilson and what's the use for one measly extra round? Besides, I can only shoot 1 mag at a time. There will be PLENTY of time for you to experiment further on down the road. And besides, when you're at the range I KNOW you will run into others who have 1911's and you might be able to ask them how their mags run in their guns (Wilsons, Chip McCormicks, Tripp etc) and I'm sure they wouldn't mind letting you put some of your ammo thru their mags. Besides, some of the magazine problems with 1911's can easily be rectified with new springs and/or followers. Parts kits are abundant for these guns. Spend some time on the 1911forums.com and you'll find out that the choices are dizzying. Like walking into Imelda Marcos' shoe closet!!!

Find out what works for you. Personally, I thought the grip was perfect for me when I first bought it. But, the grips on mine were just a hair too big and didn't have enough grip due to my sweaty palms. So, my first upgrade was a set of VZ slim grips. But, then there were TONS of different choices, materials, etc etc etc just within the VZ line. So, go slow and enjoy the pistol for what it is right now.

Oh, and CONGRATZ on the new pistol! I've had mine for 3 months and am totally in love. But, beware, 1911's will multiply!!!

polo.45
11-26-2012, 7:53 PM
I suggest too get Wilson combat mags 47d and don't put a magwell.. :)

skosh69
11-26-2012, 8:00 PM
Congrats on your Kimber.

A piece of unsolicited advice....SLOW DOWN. Take your TLE/II, field strip it, clean, lube it well, buy as much ammo as you can afford and then shoot the hay'll out of it!!!!

Leave the "west coast customs" alterations and mods to it until after you learn to shoot it and shoot it well.

Then, go to MidwayUSA or Brownells and browse the ads for whats available for the 1911 platform. Ebay is also a good place to find small frame parts on the cheap.

Like someone else mentoned, come on over to 1911forum.com and introduce yourself not only in the new member section, but the Kimber sub-forum also.

My buddy DArBad and myself are over there with the same screennames as here.

Oh yeah, PICS or it didn't happen.....:43:

redcliff
11-26-2012, 8:28 PM
Tripp research I haven't heard of. Do they only make stuff for the 1911's?

Pretty much, although they make some AR magazines also (42 and 52 rounds). Really high quality magazines, and Virgil Tripp was the American Pistolsmiths Guild pistolsmith of the year in 2010. They know their stuff.

Hilton Yam has a very good article on 1911 magazines: http://www.10-8performance.com/pages/1911-Magazines.html

wicked liquid
11-27-2012, 7:03 AM
The 1911 platform has MANY, MANY, and I mean DOZENS of choices in just about everything on the gun. You can literally spend the same amount you just spent to buy the gun in replacing bits and pieces.

My suggestion is to shoot it, practice with it and find out what you like about it first before you start going hog wild with different mags, grips, sights, magwells, trigger, sear, hammers, match barrels, holsters, ammo, safeties and well...you get the idea. Personally, I was going to get the Wilson 47D's, but they're more expensive than the mags I could get with my coupon (Springfield Armory Loaded Coupon)-$12 per mag! Nice!!! Anyways, I figured that the factory mags are working just fine for me now, I can get 3 mags for the price of 1 Wilson and what's the use for one measly extra round? Besides, I can only shoot 1 mag at a time. There will be PLENTY of time for you to experiment further on down the road. And besides, when you're at the range I KNOW you will run into others who have 1911's and you might be able to ask them how their mags run in their guns (Wilsons, Chip McCormicks, Tripp etc) and I'm sure they wouldn't mind letting you put some of your ammo thru their mags. Besides, some of the magazine problems with 1911's can easily be rectified with new springs and/or followers. Parts kits are abundant for these guns. Spend some time on the 1911forums.com and you'll find out that the choices are dizzying. Like walking into Imelda Marcos' shoe closet!!!

Find out what works for you. Personally, I thought the grip was perfect for me when I first bought it. But, the grips on mine were just a hair too big and didn't have enough grip due to my sweaty palms. So, my first upgrade was a set of VZ slim grips. But, then there were TONS of different choices, materials, etc etc etc just within the VZ line. So, go slow and enjoy the pistol for what it is right now.

Oh, and CONGRATZ on the new pistol! I've had mine for 3 months and am totally in love. But, beware, 1911's will multiply!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge! I suppose we all know how it is when we get a knew gun, we want to start throwing all sorts of parts at it in all the excitement. You are right on in terms of the money aspect. I started looking at all the things I was thinking of buying over the last couple of days and I was at half the cost of the gun already! lol. I am going to check out the Springfield mags you were talking about as well as the springs and followers. I have waited so long to get the 1911 I have wanted and here I am trying to change everything about it before I even put a singe round through it. I will be heading to the Concord range at latest by this weekend and will be taking your advice on just getting to know the gun. Thank you again!

wicked liquid
11-27-2012, 7:17 AM
Congrats on your Kimber.

A piece of unsolicited advice....SLOW DOWN. Take your TLE/II, field strip it, clean, lube it well, buy as much ammo as you can afford and then shoot the hay'll out of it!!!!

Leave the "west coast customs" alterations and mods to it until after you learn to shoot it and shoot it well.

Then, go to MidwayUSA or Brownells and browse the ads for whats available for the 1911 platform. Ebay is also a good place to find small frame parts on the cheap.

Like someone else mentoned, come on over to 1911forum.com and introduce yourself not only in the new member section, but the Kimber sub-forum also.

My buddy DArBad and myself are over there with the same screennames as here.

Oh yeah, PICS or it didn't happen.....:43:

First let me thank you for specifying that the 1911forum is in fact a seperate site and not a subforum of Calguns. I looked around thinking that I was missing something on this site. I guess I am kind of slow some days. lol. I have now registered with 1911forum and added you and your friend to my contacts, so thank you for the invite!

As I responded to another CG member, I appreciate you guys putting me back in check. I think that I was getting pretty far ahead of myself in all the excitement of a new pistol. Here I have been waiting to get this gun for years and before I have even put the first round through it, I am trying to change it!

The ammo is now on its way, the cleaning and lube will be happening tonight, and I should be at the Concord range no later than this weekend! Quick question for you, you mentioned ebay, is most of the stuff you have bought there legit? Thank you again!

JTROKS
11-27-2012, 7:58 AM
Shooting and getting to know your pistol by disassembling it is excellent advice. When you disassemble you'll learn how it works and you'll be able to inspect for worn or broken parts as you shoot it more. Getting more mags is a good idea for IMHO a 1911 should have at least 8 or more mags just in case you'd like to start shooting USPSA single stack or IDPA. The magwelel is not really needed, but it does help in quick reloads plus it gives it that racy look. Keep the stock parts for now as you learn more which aftermarket parts will look or perform better for you.

Get a holster and some mag pouches.

wicked liquid
11-27-2012, 8:32 AM
Shooting and getting to know your pistol by disassembling it is excellent advice. When you disassemble you'll learn how it works and you'll be able to inspect for worn or broken parts as you shoot it more. Getting more mags is a good idea for IMHO a 1911 should have at least 8 or more mags just in case you'd like to start shooting USPSA single stack or IDPA. The magwelel is not really needed, but it does help in quick reloads plus it gives it that racy look. Keep the stock parts for now as you learn more which aftermarket parts will look or perform better for you.

Get a holster and some mag pouches.

It has been a long time since I stripped a 1911 so tonight should be fun! I do have a couple of questions for you, first, you mentioned USPSA and IDPA, can a person compete with a fairly stock gun or do you need something totally customized? Also, you mentioned holsters, I would like to buy one, but this is the first pistol I have owned that I am actually worried about holster marks on the pistol, are there any that I should stay away from or lean towards? Thanks again!

skosh69
11-27-2012, 9:21 AM
First let me thank you for specifying that the 1911forum is in fact a seperate site and not a subforum of Calguns. I looked around thinking that I was missing something on this site. I guess I am kind of slow some days. lol. I have now registered with 1911forum and added you and your friend to my contacts, so thank you for the invite!

As I responded to another CG member, I appreciate you guys putting me back in check. I think that I was getting pretty far ahead of myself in all the excitement of a new pistol. Here I have been waiting to get this gun for years and before I have even put the first round through it, I am trying to change it!

The ammo is now on its way, the cleaning and lube will be happening tonight, and I should be at the Concord range no later than this weekend! Quick question for you, you mentioned ebay, is most of the stuff you have bought there legit? Thank you again!

You are more than welcome and believe me, I went through the same thing almost 2 yrs ago when I got my Kimber. It's only natural...LOL You have plenty of time to customize it to your liking ;)

Hey, some friends and I are going to be at USI on Sunday at 9 am. If you want to meet up with us and shoot, that'd be great! I'll send you a pm with my info.

Ebay can be hit and miss....you have to know what you're looking for as far as brand goes. There's a lot of cheap parts, like the Mason/Masen brand.

Fusion parts I have been told are good to go.

XDJYo
11-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Enjoy your new pistol. Hopefully the weather will hold out for you out here. The next few days are supposed to be pretty miserable. But, there aren't too many other choices for a range. I don't know of any indoor ranges in the Concord area. I'm south of you in San Ramon and usually shoot at Livermore. The indoor ranges I've been to are Reeds or Target Masters.

Maybe we can meet up at USI someday. Sundays aren't good for me.

XDJYo
11-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Oh, and about eBay, I would rather shop from a forum sponsor or reputable online dealer like Midway or other when it comes to pistol stuff. Too much of a chance of getting knock offs with eBay. I've been stung a few times. Just my humble opinion.

Sunday
11-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Most of the screwed up 1911s are because someone wanted to get some aftermarket parts. Get the pistol and shoot it as is for a 1,000 rounds just to see if you need to screw it up. Really.

skosh69
11-27-2012, 12:41 PM
The indoor ranges I've been to are Reeds or Target Masters.

I wouldn't reccommend Target Masters to my worst enemy! I don't want to have to constantly look over my shoulder to see what gang member is now entering the range! Sorry, too many horror stories about that place,

San Leandro has an indoor range as well as Vacaville, equal driving distances for our newest 1911 owner.

Regarding Ebay, lets say you need a MSH housing pin or a set of grip screws, are you really gonna pay MidwayUSA $10 plus another $5-8 for shipping, when you can get it from Ebay for a less than $5 and free shipping?

I'm not saying to buy barrels or ignition system parts, but you can find WC, S&A, and others there for decent prices. Like I said in my first post about Ebay, you have to watch what you're looking for.

INFAMOUS762X39
11-27-2012, 3:01 PM
I'm thinking I'm gonna have to buy one from everyone just to try them all. Or is it bad form to have mags from different manufacturers?

My first 1911 is my Kimber TLE, she is a keeper no doubt. Every 1911 is unique, and likes certain magazines. It's never bad to have spare magazines/rebuild kits, I bought different ones to see how well they work in my 1911. I tend to stick to 8rounders.

Chip Mc Power and Wilson 47d work but I do not trust them fully.

Spend the extra premium, buy Tripp Cobra Magazines($35) and be done with it. Worth every penny. Order directly from them, they ship insanely fast.

Leave the Kimber Stock for now, Invest in Magazines/Ammo/16 LB Recoil Spring.

Martin_B
11-27-2012, 5:39 PM
I've been running Wilson Combat ETMs with good result for magazines. As for other parts, I think if you stick with Wilson, 10-8, and Nighthawk for after market parts you'll be fine. 10-8 has a great forum for 1911 information as well. Here is the url http://modernserviceweapons.com
I hope that helps and best of luck with your 1911.

mugiwara
11-27-2012, 7:23 PM
i concur on smith & alexander for magwells, they are top notch. dont forget nighthawks magwells, theyre cool too, for the more tactical mind.
here are a few brands i always rely on for 1911 parts:
nowlin manufacturing
egw
heinie and 10-8 for sights

you, as i do, can find pretty much anything youre looking for with these guys and quality and cust service is great.

XDJYo
11-27-2012, 8:16 PM
I wouldn't reccommend Target Masters to my worst enemy! I don't want to have to constantly look over my shoulder to see what gang member is now entering the range! Sorry, too many horror stories about that place,

San Leandro has an indoor range as well as Vacaville, equal driving distances for our newest 1911 owner.

Regarding Ebay, lets say you need a MSH housing pin or a set of grip screws, are you really gonna pay MidwayUSA $10 plus another $5-8 for shipping, when you can get it from Ebay for a less than $5 and free shipping?

I'm not saying to buy barrels or ignition system parts, but you can find WC, S&A, and others there for decent prices. Like I said in my first post about Ebay, you have to watch what you're looking for.

The wife & I have been pretty fortunate at TM so far. We've seen some of the characters over there, but we haven't had to leave because of them yet. I like Reeds better over TM. But, my favorite so far is the Livermore range. Nice and easy going and I seem to strike up good conversations with the Range Safety Officers there. Haven't been to San Leandro. I want to hit Chabot one day though. USI is also on my list. Then, there's the open steel trap range out past San Jose. But, that's probably a whole day trip since it's so far away.

And you're right about eBay. Just need to make sure you know what brand/quality you're buying, not buying just based on price.

XDJYo
11-27-2012, 8:23 PM
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge! I suppose we all know how it is when we get a knew gun, we want to start throwing all sorts of parts at it in all the excitement. You are right on in terms of the money aspect. I started looking at all the things I was thinking of buying over the last couple of days and I was at half the cost of the gun already! lol. I am going to check out the Springfield mags you were talking about as well as the springs and followers. I have waited so long to get the 1911 I have wanted and here I am trying to change everything about it before I even put a singe round through it. I will be heading to the Concord range at latest by this weekend and will be taking your advice on just getting to know the gun. Thank you again!

No thanks needed!! It's what is so great about these forums!!! I was in your shoes just a few months ago, but I read a lot and took a lot of advice from the experienced wise owls on here (and a lot of Hickok45 videos!).

But, I totally agree with you. The urge to personalize and modify the 1911 is so alluring!!! Personally, I'm sort of a gear-head. I LOVE to tear things apart and see how they work. I appreciate mechanical things and try to understand how/why they work the way they do and pistols are extremely fascinating to me! Then, the next step is to figure out how to make it 'better' or prettier or way more awesomer of a gun! Seeing some of the gorgeous custom bits and pieces that are out there to customize your pistol...it just makes your jaw drop at how beautiful a simple piece of metal can be!

Dang...Where's my credit card? Oh, I'm over my liimit? Ooops!!!

cwin
11-27-2012, 8:27 PM

Exactly this. Congrats on the Kimber!

wicked liquid
11-28-2012, 7:19 PM
Man, you guys are all awesome! I have to admit when I get online and start looking at all the different companies, all with their own products it gets more than just a little overwhelming. I have gained so much knowledge from each of your posts, let me just say thank you all for saving me valuable hours of my life, and plenty of money from having to find out the hard way. lol

One more question. Recoil spring, I have seen mention of a 16# and I think the other was a 17#. Is this all about personal preference?

wicked liquid
11-28-2012, 7:19 PM
Exactly this. Congrats on the Kimber!

Thank you!

Martin_B
11-28-2012, 7:37 PM
Man, you guys are all awesome! I have to admit when I get online and start looking at all the different companies, all with their own products it gets more than just a little overwhelming. I have gained so much knowledge from each of your posts, let me just say thank you all for saving me valuable hours of my life, and plenty of money from having to find out the hard way. lol

One more question. Recoil spring, I have seen mention of a 16# and I think the other was a 17#. Is this all about personal preference?

I'd say preference and the type of ammo you are shooting. I personally use a 17lb for factory 230 grain loads. If you're running +p I'd lean more towards the 18lb side of things. Lighter loads I'd go the other way. Just find what works best for you with a balance between recoil, reliability, and not beating your frame up.

skosh69
11-29-2012, 8:34 PM
The wife & I have been pretty fortunate at TM so far. We've seen some of the characters over there, but we haven't had to leave because of them yet. I like Reeds better over TM. But, my favorite so far is the Livermore range. Nice and easy going and I seem to strike up good conversations with the Range Safety Officers there. Haven't been to San Leandro. I want to hit Chabot one day though. USI is also on my list. Then, there's the open steel trap range out past San Jose. But, that's probably a whole day trip since it's so far away.

And you're right about eBay. Just need to make sure you know what brand/quality you're buying, not buying just based on price.

Where is this range in Livermore? I've heard of J&R Sports out there, but that's about it.

Regarding the San Leandro Rifle and Pistol range, it's small but cool. They have both indoor and outdoor ranges. I believe on Sat. nights, they have a steel shoot. If you plan on making it to USI, hit me up, I'll try and meet you there, it's minutes from the house. As a matter of fact, a few of us are going to brave the weather and shoot there at 9 am this coming Sunday!

XDJYo
11-29-2012, 9:17 PM
Where is this range in Livermore? I've heard of J&R Sports out there, but that's about it.

Regarding the San Leandro Rifle and Pistol range, it's small but cool. They have both indoor and outdoor ranges. I believe on Sat. nights, they have a steel shoot. If you plan on making it to USI, hit me up, I'll try and meet you there, it's minutes from the house. As a matter of fact, a few of us are going to brave the weather and shoot there at 9 am this coming Sunday!

The range is called Livermore Pleasanton Rod And Guns. lprg.org I think. It's north of the 580 off either Vasco or N Livermore. It's about 15 minutes from my place. No steel though. But they are talking about starting it up in the spring thru summer times.

I'll have to check out the range you're talking about. Do you mean Chabot in Castro Valley?

I haven't been to USI yet. Same with Chabot. Maybe one of these Sundays I can head out there and meet up with you all! It would've nice to meet other forum dudes at the range!

J&R is a pretty cool place. Every once in a while, they'll get some good stuff. I like Doms better,but they're a regular sporting goods store too. Little selection.

Take it easy and hopefully I. An head out to USI soon

JTROKS
11-29-2012, 11:45 PM
It has been a long time since I stripped a 1911 so tonight should be fun! I do have a couple of questions for you, first, you mentioned USPSA and IDPA, can a person compete with a fairly stock gun or do you need something totally customized? Also, you mentioned holsters, I would like to buy one, but this is the first pistol I have owned that I am actually worried about holster marks on the pistol, are there any that I should stay away from or lean towards? Thanks again!
Fairly stock 1911 can compete in USPSA or IDPA.

Here is a link to USPSA rules http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2010HandgunRulesProof3web.pdf

Look up single stack division.

As far as holster wear it is hard to prevent, but can be decreased if you pick a holster with lining that is not so hard on the finish. The only holster that I'm aware of that provides minimal wear on the gun is Limcat's Stealth holster. I'm not sure if it's legal in single stack division. I've been using kydex type holsters and wear is not really a concern unless it's abnormaly severe. The level of wear on your gun is matched by the skills you learn.

wicked liquid
12-06-2012, 9:48 AM
OK, well I am happy to report back that after firing a couple of Kimber's clips through the new gun, and then switching over to the Wilson Combat 47D's, there is no contest, I am now a Wilson fan. Thank you all for your advice, it has come in very useful!