PDA

View Full Version : Glock holster wear question

Travis590A1
11-25-2012, 9:28 PM
So I'm getting a Blackhawk serpa cqc level 2 holster for my Glock 21 and I was curious how long it usually takes for the dreaded "holster wear" to take effect? I like like the holster but like my finish as well lol.

Mr310
11-25-2012, 9:35 PM
I think it's kind of a "how many licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop" type deal.

I wouldn't worry about it, though. Wear on a gun is sexy and Glock's finish is really hard to wear.

nrgcruizer
11-25-2012, 9:51 PM
I bought a used Glock 21 long ago with heavy holster wear. My other brand new pistols showed more surface rust than my used Glock 21. In fact, I don't ever remember having to scrape any rust off of it.

My HK USP 9mm also has heavy holster wear. I have yet to remove surface rust on it since I've owned it. And yes...I don't treat my guns very well, except for my Python. The wear will determine on how much you've practiced drawing your weapon.

ar15barrels
11-25-2012, 10:39 PM
I bought a used Glock 21 long ago with heavy holster wear. My other brand new pistols showed more surface rust than my used Glock 21. In fact, I don't ever remember having to scrape any rust off of it.

My HK USP 9mm also has heavy holster wear. I have yet to remove surface rust on it since I've owned it. And yes...I don't treat my guns very well, except for my Python. The wear will determine on how much you've practiced drawing your weapon.

Both your Glock and your HK have melonite based finishes so they will likely never rust, even as the black wears off them.
Your other pistols without melonite based finishes will rust easily so keep them oiled.

586L-Frame
11-26-2012, 1:47 AM
I just cut some 1" black p-touch labeling tape and apply on possible wear areas on both sides of my Glock slide that might be rubbed by my Blackhawk Serpa Holster.
Seems to work for me.
586L-Frame

scglock
11-26-2012, 1:56 AM
It'll take quite a while for the finish on a glock to wear off.. and even when it does, glocks are cheap, buy another

air0n'03
11-26-2012, 2:19 AM
I like the worn look on guns :)

Oceanbob
11-26-2012, 6:59 AM
Personally I rarely use my holsters. Wear does affect resale value and I like to keep my weapons in pristine condition.

Most gun ranges won't allow holstered weapons anyway. (to the general public). I have a holster in my Get Home Bag (my car trunk with stuff I need for a week). But I carry my Range guns in a soft gun bag or padded briefcase. (with lock for legal unloaded transport).

If you must stand naked in front of a full length mirror wearing a Serpa rig, mirrored sunglasses and a jock strap; just get the Slide on the Glock hard Chromed or NP-3'ed. ;)

Mr310
11-26-2012, 7:47 AM
If you must stand naked in front of a full length mirror wearing a Serpa rig, mirrored sunglasses and a jock strap; just get the Slide on the Glock hard Chromed or NP-3'ed. ;)

In all fairness I start off fully clothed. If you were looking at me wearing mirrored aviators and a Serpa rig for 10 minutes, your pants would end up around your ankles, too. :p