PDA

View Full Version : Full (Glock) magazine rattling noise....

SoyB3an
11-25-2012, 7:55 PM
I did a search on this issue and found that most people just said "it's nothing to worry about / it's normal and some magazines will do that" but that answer doesn't really do it for me. I'm hoping someone has a fix or can explain to me what is that rattling noise the magazine creates when you loaded it fully but when you remove one round it doesn't make any noise at all. It is rather annoying. I would think that tight tension between the spring and magazine insert would prevent anything from moving around so therefore I can't pinpoint exactly what's causing the rattle. :confused::confused:

LMTluvr
11-25-2012, 9:17 PM
I don't recall having a loaded magazine rattle. Have you pulled it apart and checked the internals out?

SoyB3an
11-25-2012, 9:23 PM
Yea I did, there's only 3 parts inside and apparently this is common. :wacko:

LMTluvr
11-25-2012, 9:26 PM
Yea I did, there's only 3 parts inside and apparently this is common. :wacko:

It is ? News to me. I've got a lot of mags that don't. But hey, learn something everyday.

Knight_Who_Says_Ni
11-25-2012, 9:29 PM
Happens on my mags. On a loaded mag, the #7 round will rattle.

Nothing to worry about in my mind. I've run the mag pretty hard even though I get the rattling, and it has never let me down.

LMTluvr
11-25-2012, 9:30 PM
Happens on my mags. On a loaded mag, the #7 round will rattle.

Nothing to worry about in my mind. I've run the mag pretty hard even though I get the rattling, and it has never let me down.

Ah, so it's one of the rounds rattling around?

den888
11-25-2012, 9:30 PM
It happens with mine also.

vintagearms
11-25-2012, 9:52 PM
Normal with some Glock mags. It has to do with the tension of the spring. Is this a new mag or one that has been used alot?

Stanze
11-25-2012, 9:54 PM
Give it the Austrian palm smack, rattle should stop.

Part of the fun in Glocking.:D

SoyB3an
11-25-2012, 9:59 PM
This is a new surplus mag I picked up at the gun show over the weekend. Haven't used it yet. Will the click clack click clack noise eventually go away with more usage?

OUTLAWZ
11-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Hi SoyB3an,

Which Glock do you have? Do you always have the magazine fully loaded (Springs can get weaker if the magazine is always a load on it over time)? What capacity magazines are you using (You don't have to answer that here)? Depending on your model, the factory 8 - 10 round magazines are almost single stack with thicker well sides and the spring is stiffer. Higher capacity magazines (12 -17 rounds) which are designed differently to house more ammo are double stacked and have a weaker spring. May be possible that the rattle you are hearing is the actual bullets it's self moving around in the magazine if the spring has weakened or there is play between the top or bottom of the magazine, spring or floor plate due to a higher capacity magazine. Please don't hold me to this answer but this is just my observation based on both scenarios experienced shooting with some buddies (LEO). I hope this help.

Leon

SilverTauron
11-25-2012, 10:21 PM
This is a new surplus mag I picked up at the gun show over the weekend. Haven't used it yet. Will the click clack click clack noise eventually go away with more usage?

I doubt it.

My G22 does it, and its not the only weapon I've seen it happen with either. Take your fully loaded magazine and shake it-silent right?

Now hold the mag whilst also pressing down at the top round with your thumb, and shake it. Suddenly its rattling , and that's because the magazine is being compressed more. When its in the gun the slide is putting downward pressure on the top round, resulting in more pressure on the follower and causing the rounds in the middle to rattle against each other.

The only "solution" would be to down-load one round.

SoyB3an
11-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Outlawz,
It is a double stack Glock magazine and does rattle at full capacity when in the weapon. I can't imagine any spacing left in there for rattling, it takes a lot of pressure, even using the loader to get that last round in. But to think of it, it does sound like the rounds are clanking against each other.

SilverTauron
You know exactly what I'm talking about here and your explanation is plausible. I wasn't sure if it was the ammo, loose spring, insert plate, follower, or foreign object.

Thanks folks

KIDRR
11-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Happens on one of my Mags, all the others are fine.

SoyB3an
11-26-2012, 10:40 PM
I understand the cause of it now but still don't have a solution. So if anyone wants to chime in, please feel free. :willy_nilly:

Kraviwannabe
11-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Occasionally it happens to mine. Best I can determine, it's the ammo stack. Somewhere in the middle (at a slightly odd angle) the rounds sometimes clack against each other under tension.

Raider888
11-27-2012, 9:16 AM
I had the same experience with a G30 mag, loaded 10 rds of Pdx1 in it, heard and felt the rattle, I had to shake the mag again.

1911su16b870
11-27-2012, 9:33 AM
Sometimes rapping the loaded magazine on a hard surface, witness holes down, will help seat the rounds.