PDA

View Full Version : Oil vs. grease on semi-autos

hbogart
11-25-2012, 6:47 PM
I have been using either FP-10 or Break Free CLP on my SIG and Beretta, but I am thinking about changing to a grease at least for where the slide is in contact with the frame.

Any recommendations for a particular brand of grease? Or reasons to stick with oil? Is ther eany difference in wear or friction issues with gfrease?

Fishslayer
11-25-2012, 7:30 PM
I use graphite moly engine assembly lube. It mixes easily with oil so a scrubbing with CLP & solvent cleans away any of the nasty stuff it might pick up.

Generally a lighter grease is better.

350skylark
11-25-2012, 7:31 PM
i think some people using t depending on the weather like grease when its hot out and oil durring cold, im sure grease provide s little better for friction, tetras pretty popular

golfrj
11-25-2012, 7:33 PM
I was always taught "If it Slides Grease, If it Rotates Oil"...

far from tactical
11-25-2012, 7:34 PM
I'm going to start useing white lithium Grease on my Sig

crackerman
11-25-2012, 7:38 PM

+10

Works on all of my guns from the duck gun to carry glock.

Product wise I am a big fan of Slip 2000 products. but that topic is sightly less contentious then religion.

liberty47
11-25-2012, 7:39 PM
try frog lube

hbogart
11-25-2012, 7:54 PM
I'm going to start useing white lithium Grease on my Sig

I sent my P226 Stainless in for SIG's 'Action Enhancement Package' and it had a grease that looked like white lithium on it when it came back.

I am thinking about using Militec-1 grease. The only thing I have seen locally is Hoppe's Gun Grease, but maybe the motorcycle shop or O'reilly's has other options.

dawn777
11-25-2012, 8:13 PM
i use slide glide standard for my beretta92fs, sig p226, cz p01.
it causes FTF on my Beretta, but works good for my sig 226 and P01.
maybe slide glide lit would work for my beretta.

uhlan1
11-25-2012, 8:24 PM
For my sigs I use Slide Glide.

sholling
11-25-2012, 8:32 PM
I use Slide Glide Lite (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0031UHDLA/) on the rails and bushing of my 1911s. Everything other than the slide and bushing gets Break Free or Weapon Shield (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/220438/steel-shield-weapon-shield-gun-oil-4-oz-liquid). My other weapons get a super light coat of MOBILITH SHC PM 460 (http://www.mcmaster.com/#mobilith-shc-pm-460-grease/=kbr6q2) on their sliding surfaces and Break Free CLP or Weapon Shield CLP on everything else.

I recommend grease as long as you test fire in the coldest weather you'll be using it. I've never had a failure but there may be a few weapons where "sticktion" from the thickness of even very light grease or from too much grease could be an issue and low temperatures can make that worse.

scoobydo
11-26-2012, 6:32 AM
I sent my P226 Stainless in for SIG's 'Action Enhancement Package' and it had a grease that looked like white lithium on it when it came back.

I am thinking about using Militec-1 grease. The only thing I have seen locally is Hoppe's Gun Grease, but maybe the motorcycle shop or O'reilly's has other options.

Sig uses TW25B. The white stuff on their guns.
I have a bottle of that and use it on my rails and my barrel.
Works great and cleanup is a easy after a range session.
I always clean completely and reapply if I have shot more that 150 rounds.
(Actually, even if I haven't)

I tried Break Free CLP, but damn if that stuff is nasty.
It was like putting pam on my stuff.
I just hated the feel of it.
I gave it a try for about a week, but did not like it at all.
I went back to Rem Oil and TW25B.
It does stay put and lubricates well, I just couldn't get past the overall nastiness of it.

pisarski
11-26-2012, 6:54 AM
i use frog lube on all my guns and it works great and cleans up very easy. and smells good so i can clean in the house.

liberty47
11-26-2012, 9:05 AM
i use frog lube on all my guns and it works great and cleans up very easy. and smells good so i can clean in the house.

cleaning in the house is a major + 1

starsnuffer
11-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Depends on your environment. Grease on rails and things that slide is great, unless you're in an environment where that grease quickly becomes an abrasive crud attracting compound. For 90% of our uses, grease is great and even superior to oil. It just depends on your intended use and where you'll be using your firearm.

-W

Fishslayer
11-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Depends on your environment. Grease on rails and things that slide is great, unless you're in an environment where that grease quickly becomes an abrasive crud attracting compound. For 90% of our uses, grease is great and even superior to oil. It just depends on your intended use and where you'll be using your firearm.

-W

I have some spray on dry lube I've been meaning to try out just for giggles. I've kinda been wanting to test it on something a bit less expensive first... ;)

DArBad
11-26-2012, 11:08 AM
I use Magnalube on the frame rails, barrel lugs, disconnector head, barrel bushing area, etc. of my Kimber Custom IIs. I slather the grease on those areas then thin out the grease with Eds Red.

I then rack the slide several times and just wipe off the excess seeping out.

That's it, simple and effective.

pc_load_letter
11-26-2012, 11:20 AM
I've had tremendously good results with Slide Guide. The medium viscosity. I also use it for my Mosin, SKS and Lee Enfield bolts.

stilly
11-26-2012, 12:07 PM
I mix a bit of kroil with eds red but I recently found this new stuff called M-Pro 7 Gun Oil LPX by Pantheon Enterprises. It is supposed to be better than Weapon Shield, Frog Lube and CLP and several others. I just got it in the mail. There was a long review on Amazon.com that convinced me to give it a try. I think it is an oil though and I don't know that they have a grease though.

GWbiker
11-26-2012, 12:12 PM
I've had tremendously good results with Slide Guide. The medium viscosity. I also use it for my Mosin, SKS and Lee Enfield bolts.

+1. I use Slide Glide on all my semi auto handguns and rifles for several years.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Red Devil
11-26-2012, 1:37 PM

^^^ This.

Oil - CLP
Grease - Super Tech Marine Grease (Walmart)

The nice thing RE: grease is that the crud stays in top, unlike oil.

Wipe it down w/ a paper towel and then an oil (CLP) or solvent rag... and it's clean. Then just reapply the grease.

And $5 bucks worth of Walmart Marine grease is probably a lifetime supply... good stuff, too.

Apply, then wipe w/ your finger. What's left is all you need.

The extra advantage of grease is that it cushions the parts, and gets rid of the "clicks", so the parts don't get the battering they would get w/o it.

drunktank
11-26-2012, 1:49 PM
Look up lubriplate oil/grease for firearms online. Rather than relying on "snake oils" use a brand that posts it's specs for all to see. 10 bucks will get you an entire can that will last the life of the gun and then some. Other brands will use a fancy packaging sticker and charge 10 bucks for a tiny test tube.

In the end, just about anything will do. Heck, my FIL used WD-40 all his life and his guns shoot reliably - obviously WD-40 isn't anywhere near ideal.

For wht its worth, I oil the rotating parts and grease sliding parts.

hbogart
11-26-2012, 6:48 PM
Thanks all for the input. I am going to just buy several of the ones recommended and just see which I like.

dbbspider
11-26-2012, 7:47 PM
I use both, but I can only use one type, I would choose oil. I have used clp, REM oil, miltec, Mobil 1, bearing grease, etc and all worked.

Caribouriver
11-26-2012, 7:50 PM
It's warm where I am so I grease the rails with Mobil 1 synthetic (it's red). A caulking gun tube will last me 5 years in a syringe. If you can see the red color, you put on too much.

beatstanfurd
11-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Lubriplate SFL-1 grease (https://www.applied.com/apps/commerce/catalog/catalog.do?e=21&s=3750832)
Lubriplate FMO-350-AW oil (https://www.applied.com/apps/commerce/catalog/catalog.do?e=21&s=3750897)

Ordered mine from www.applied.com and was able to pickup locally at a branch office. Don't have a grease gun, so I use a flux brush to apply the grease.

Seems like drunktank and I are always talking up the Lubriplate :D

Lubrication 101 with Grant Cunningham (http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html)

Red Devil
11-27-2012, 9:26 AM
Marine Grease - Warren Distribution (http://www.amazon.com/Warren-Distribution-MG640014-Marine-Grease/dp/B002GK2F8C) (Walmart Marine Grease)

Specifications:

MAG1 Marine Grease (Warren Distribution)
NLGI Grade 2 LB
Worked penetration @ 77F, ASTM D-217, 60 Strokes 265-295
Dropping Point, ASTM D-2265, F (C), Min 500 (260)
Wheel Bearing Leakage, ASTM D-4290, gm.Loss 1.4
Water Washout, ASTM D-1264 % Loss Max. 4.1 @ 175F
Rust Prevention, ASTM D-1743, Rating Pass
Salt Water Rust Prevention, ASTM D-5969, Rating Pass
Oil Separation, ASTM D-1742 % Loss Max. 3.3
Four Ball Wear, ASTM D-2266, mm Scar Dia 0.54
Four Ball EP Weld Point, ASTM D-2596, Min 315
Four Ball Load Wear Index, ASTM D-2596, Kgf 42
Low Temperature Torque, D-4693, N-m 12.9
Fretting Wear, ASTM D-4170, mg 1.7
Elastomer Compatibility, ASTM D-4289 Pass
Approximate Temperature Range, F (C) -10 to 325 (-23 to 163)

Claybone
11-27-2012, 9:40 AM
Just plain old CLP, work for me overseas with sand and dirt, hot or cold, from semi auto to full auto it works just fine. Plus it is easy to clean off and with. So oil is my personal choice.

Davinho
11-27-2012, 9:53 AM
Grease stays where you put it, so I've been greasing most things lately. BUT, I no longer use Tetra grease on my AR. The heat in the BCG seems to bake the teflon down into a hard, caked on, crud, and that can't be good.

Red Devil
11-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Just plain old CLP, work for me overseas with sand and dirt, hot or cold, from semi auto to full auto it works just fine. Plus it is easy to clean off and with. So oil is my personal choice.

Yeah, but it doesn't come w/ that free Armory and replacement parts/weapon you had overseas either. ;)

erik_26
11-27-2012, 4:07 PM
Always heard that the worst oil is better than the best grease.

Grease tends to attract and hold dirt.

I use oil and have no issues (even on my Sig's and 1911's)

Red Devil
11-27-2012, 4:48 PM
Always heard that the worst oil is better than the best grease....

You heard wrong.

Grease (http://140.194.76.129/publications/eng-manuals/EM_1110-2-1424_pflsec/Sections/c-5.pdf) (USA-CE)

REDdawn6
11-27-2012, 5:16 PM
FrogLube !!!

RedFord150
11-28-2012, 1:27 PM
Tetra Gun Grease on all of my Slide Rails. No complaint so far and a $6.95 tube lasts for years.

STAGE 2
11-28-2012, 1:37 PM
For the range, grease is good because it may (depending on the lube you use and your firearm i.e. aluminum vs steel frame) offer more protection for long shooting sessions.

However for a duty/defensive use, oil is the way to go.

supermanuf
11-28-2012, 4:31 PM
Swear by this stuff for my 1911 slide rails. Love the fine tip syringe applicator. Just a little bead on the front of the slide rail, reassemble, rack back and forth a few times to distribute, and GTG.

http://omahaknife.com/store/images/IMG_3928.JPG

Freq18Hz
11-28-2012, 4:42 PM
I see lots of threads like this...and I think to myself:

"This is a cottage industry to make money off of people".

Greases and Oils aren't new. There really hasn't been much improvement in this stuff since the 1950's.

Any high friction grease will do (bike grease for instance). Synthetic motor oil (the kind you get a big container of for a few bucks) is pretty much the same thing as all the expensive gun oils you guys are using.

You can convince yourself that your EWG, CLP, Froglube, Slide Glide, EWL, blah blah wonder lubes are worth the price if you want...

In reality though, they are made with the same formulas of stuff you can find in bulk at your average hardware/home supply stores. You are just paying more for the name and the label that says GUN OIL or GUN GREASE on it.

For more important than what whizbang brand of lube you guys are putting on your gun, is HOW and WHERE you are putting it on your gun, and HOW OFTEN, and HOW MUCH.

We really need to cut down on all of these silly lubrication VS. threads, and start getting some science/practical knowledge in here folks. Metal greases, oils, and lubrication have been around for a long, long time. Stop wasting your cash!

:)

-Freq

gundad
11-28-2012, 6:50 PM
I see lots of threads like this...and I think to myself:

"This is a cottage industry to make money off of people".

Greases and Oils aren't new. There really hasn't been much improvement in this stuff since the 1950's.

Any high friction grease will do (bike grease for instance). Synthetic motor oil (the kind you get a big container of for a few bucks) is pretty much the same thing as all the expensive gun oils you guys are using.

You can convince yourself that your EWG, CLP, Froglube, Slide Glide, EWL, blah blah wonder lubes are worth the price if you want...

In reality though, they are made with the same formulas of stuff you can find in bulk at your average hardware/home supply stores. You are just paying more for the name and the label that says GUN OIL or GUN GREASE on it.

For more important than what whizbang brand of lube you guys are putting on your gun, is HOW and WHERE you are putting it on your gun, and HOW OFTEN, and HOW MUCH.

We really need to cut down on all of these silly lubrication VS. threads, and start getting some science/practical knowledge in here folks. Metal greases, oils, and lubrication have been around for a long, long time. Stop wasting your cash!

:)

-Freq

Thanks for the info I will definitely use it because it makes perfect sense to a marketing person like myself. But do you think grease or oil is better for a semi-auto? Or are you saying they are the same too?

TNP'R
11-28-2012, 6:55 PM
I use oil, usually hope 9 oil but recently been using some S&W Lubricating oil, its actually beat my expectations of it.I thought it would be garbage but its held up good and doesn't evaporate like hopes oil does.