PDA

View Full Version : Favorite 9mm Factory ammo that makes lowest power factor?

daybreak
11-25-2012, 7:03 PM
Brand new to competition shooting here. Shot my first USPSA a few weekends ago and shot my first steel action match at the deadwood boys match this last Saturday in Piru.

What are you guys shooting for factory 9mm ammo? I'm looking for the lowest velocity 9mm that still makes power factor, preferably in 124 gr.

uhlan1
11-25-2012, 7:31 PM
There's a sub-forum just for competition shooting. Someone there would know for sure.

zfields
11-25-2012, 7:33 PM
There's some that's below p factor, so watch out.I prefer to stick to ammo a bit warmer, helps knock down steel a bit more consistsntly without perfect hits.

Sent from my Incredible 2

JeremyS
11-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Most of the reloads available specifically meet minimum power factor but only exceed it by enough to make sure rounds on the low end of the standard deviation still make it -- Freedom Munitions, 3gunammo, Miwall, extinct companies like USA Ammo and Jack Ross, etc.

I know that's not "factory" ammo, but it'll save you quite a lot of money if you're going through a lot and I've had nothing but great success with it. You can buy brand new ammo from Freedom Munitions if you really want new brass.

daybreak
11-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Thanks JeremyS for the lead!

zfields
11-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Check out Load X out of santa rosa also.

That guy has forgotten more about ammo and loading then I ever hope to learn.

speedrrracer
11-26-2012, 10:55 AM
zfields is right -- a lot of factory target ammo chronos light. For a local match, I wouldn't sweat it, but if I were going to spend the money and travel to a major match there's no way on earth I'd bring a normal case of target ammo, like Federal, Winchester, etc.

If you check, you'll see that if you want a guarantee that the ammo will meet some minimum PF, you're going to spend a lot more money than just ordering a case of Aguila or Remington or whatever. Probably around twice the cost.

fennecfrank
11-26-2012, 11:36 AM
check out Atlanta Arms and Ammo:
http://www.atlantaarmsandammo.com/MATCH_AMMO/match_ammo.html

9MM 147GR JHP G Match
"Using a Zero bullet and Starline brass, this is designed to make minor power factor....."