PDA

View Full Version : He said-She said

KrizB
07-31-2007, 1:22 PM
Long story short, renewed my ID, DMV put the PO Box on it and not my street address even after telling them to.

Called both the DMV and a gunstore and explained this to them, here's what they say.

DMV- since the street address is on the form, write address on paper, date and sign it.
Store- won't take paper, go to DMV, get a yellow change of address card, fill it out and come back.

Walked in and picked up a card, just a bit hesitant to go fill out paperwork for a rifle and get in trouble for something down the road.

Sound like I'm good to go?
:confused:

The SoCal Gunner
07-31-2007, 1:25 PM
There is a form from the DMV for the change of address. On that form, which is mailed into the DMV, there are instructions to write your new address on a piece of paper, date and stamp it, and carry it around with your drivers license.

I might be mailing that form in instead of going to the DMV for my change of address and I definitely print that out to show any FFL who questions me about that.

That little beige color card is fine.

chiefcrash
07-31-2007, 1:29 PM
get a new gun store. Last time i checked, you can still buy a gun regardless of what address is on your ID card. You just have to provide proof of your current residence (utility bill, 03 FFL, etc)...

or at least that's what I've always had to do...

KrizB
07-31-2007, 2:06 PM
Alright.

The DMV was pretty busy this morning, probably a good idea to fill out the change of address forms on their website. Takes like 2-3 days for them to update the records.

Starting to look for a new gunstore...

MudCamper
07-31-2007, 2:36 PM
I've had endless problems in this regard. I use a PO Box for everything - DMV, banking, everything. The last 2 gunstores I purchased from would NOT accept a PG&E bill address anymore. I don't know why. Any FFLs here can chime in on this?? Even the deed to my house doesn't work. Fortunately, I discovered that the DMV reg for one of my motorcycles accidentally has my physical address. Now I always bring that with me to buy a firearm. Lame.

One thing I do know, the fed and state reqs are totally different. Plus one or both of them are currently changing.

KrizB
07-31-2007, 4:28 PM
Couldn't submit my change of address through their website because my last name contains a "restricted word" (hint http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Zantar45/ruff.gif *) that's blocked by their swear filters.
At least they let you download the form.

Having lived in an apartment complex for a few years, it's crazy not to use the PO Box for everything.

*no offense meant to anyone

M. Sage
07-31-2007, 4:39 PM
get a new gun store. Last time i checked, you can still buy a gun regardless of what address is on your ID card. You just have to provide proof of your current residence (utility bill, 03 FFL, etc)...

or at least that's what I've always had to do...

+1, I've done that.

They won't DROS a gun with the new address stapled to your license. :rolleyes:

artherd
07-31-2007, 5:10 PM
...****ster?

KrizB
07-31-2007, 6:13 PM
First three letters FoxtrotAlphaGolf

California censoring and blocking part of my Portuguese surname, lawsuit!:p

As far as gunstores, got two choices without having to leave town- Big 5 or a semi grumpy FFL. Of course I could have just caught him on bad days...

AJAX22
07-31-2007, 7:08 PM
I've never had a gunstore actually accept my 03FFL as proof of residency... they always make me get my registration out of my car.

so lame.

xenophobe
07-31-2007, 7:11 PM
I've had endless problems in this regard. I use a PO Box for everything - DMV, banking, everything. The last 2 gunstores I purchased from would NOT accept a PG&E bill address anymore. I don't know why. Any FFLs here can chime in on this?? Even the deed to my house doesn't work. Fortunately, I discovered that the DMV reg for one of my motorcycles accidentally has my physical address. Now I always bring that with me to buy a firearm. Lame.

One thing I do know, the fed and state reqs are totally different. Plus one or both of them are currently changing.

Are you a resident alien? If so, then some things change, but PG&E works for both Federal and State requirements for Proof of Residency, but for the State it must be within the last 90 days, and Federal (for Permanent Resident) requires 3 months consecutive....

A copy of your deed is also sufficient as long as it has your name and address as listed on your DROS.

Here is the list of acceptable forms of proof for CA DOJ (you may want to print that out and show the dealer that refused those documents):

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/resprf.php?PHPSESSID=2125cf26c5cf57fec1bcc00a29eed c3d