PDA

View Full Version : Proof of Residency??

manbearpig
11-25-2012, 5:21 PM
ok today i already ordered my very first handgun at the gun store. i received a call from them on the way home that i need a Proof of residency. i can use gas bill, cable bill and car registration with my name on it. But the thing is i am still living with my parent. i dont have my name on any of that.
i did some searches but not sure what to do. some said write California Residential Lease but how do i know it legit and where to get one for free. Some said apply for 03FFL but i dont have that much time and i dont want to waste money on this kind of thing because again i ordered it today. had a Jury Duty on 09 but that's too old and i dont think they'll accept it.
My dad Income Tax return have my name on it. will this works? i already choose and paid the gun i want then this problem just hit right in my face. my head hurts. can you guys help me out. i havent been here for long time now.

IronWorksTactical
11-25-2012, 5:26 PM
See if this helps. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=327217

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Euphoria526
11-25-2012, 5:31 PM
ok today i already ordered my very first handgun at the gun store. i received a call from them on the way home that i need a Proof of residency. i can use gas bill, cable bill and car registration with my name on it. But the thing is i am still living with my parent. i dont have my name on any of that.
i did some searches but not sure what to do. some said write California Residential Lease but how do i know it legit and where to get one for free. Some said apply for 03FFL but i dont have that much time and i dont want to waste money on this kind of thing because again i ordered it today. had a Jury Duty on 09 but that's too old and i dont think they'll accept it.
My dad Income Tax return have my name on it. will this works? i already choose and paid the gun i want then this problem just hit right in my face. my head hurts. can you guys help me out. i havent been here for long time now.

I got this:
Download a free lease for online and fill it out as the occupant and your parents the leas(or?) and get it notarized at a UPS store or where you can (chase bank does it for free if your a member) have the address match your drivers license.
Ou should be good to go, that's how I did it

MalC
11-25-2012, 5:31 PM
http://www.lectlaw.com/mjl/rt16f.htm

first google result, seems to be legit. As long as it's a lease for a defined term, it works. Those "month to month" rental agreements don't satisfy the requirement. The address must also match the address on your DL or primary ID.

Call the gun store and confirm that they will accept this (it satisfies the law, but some stores have their own rules). Also ask them if it needs to be notarized... I don't think the PC requires it but the DOJ says it's a requirement, so I would get it notarized regardless of what they say.

I just used a lease agreement I printed for free off the internet a couple weeks ago... I can't find the exact site but the one I linked should be fine.

sundayduffer
11-25-2012, 5:32 PM
hmmm..you have good credit? if so, ask your dad to have the Utility bill transferred to your name..and still have Dad to pay for it..lol. That will work. But to transfer a utility bill to your name, they might want to ask for a deposit...around $150 - $200 or so, this process usually very quick if you find a local pge or water and go there to have it changed..bring cash...no cc. Utility bill only ok? cable, cc, netflix, bank statements...these wont work. Good luck.

manbearpig
11-25-2012, 5:38 PM
thx for the residential lease that what i had but wasnt sure. do i need both parents or just one?

alfred1222
11-25-2012, 5:39 PM
you just need one parent to sign

MalC
11-25-2012, 5:40 PM
The link I gave you doesn't have a toxic mold/lead paint disclosure clause, which if I'm not mistaken is required in CA. (I'm not a lawyer so don't take any of this as legal advice, just the opinion of someone who very recently researched this topic and used a lease for the proof of residency requirement in CA).

https://www.rocketlawyer.com/secure/interview/questions.aspx?document=18352102&state=California&utm_source=103&v=3#q1

That site might be better. TBH it probably doesn't matter if the contract is 100% in compliance with CA laws but if you're worried, just go to Office Max or Staples and buy a CA Residential Lease Agreement for $10. Or buy one online. Just make sure it's a lease with a defined term, not a month-to-month agreement.

manbearpig
11-25-2012, 5:47 PM
the reason i was confused about residential Lease was how do they or anyone know the person sign as landlord actually legit individual to proof that i live in this address. just print the residential lease,fill it out and signed then give it to gun dealer? it just seem unreliable.

MalC
11-25-2012, 5:49 PM
That's why the CA DOJ says you have to get it notarized. Take it to a notary public (employee at a UPS store, or at your bank), and they check your ID and the lessor's ID and watch you sign it. Then they give the document their stamp/signature which states they witnessed you signing.

ke6guj
11-25-2012, 5:54 PM
That's why the CA DOJ says you have to get it notarized. .where do they say that?

Its not the PC, CCR, or even the FAQ.

MalC
11-25-2012, 6:08 PM
Sorry, I should have said "that's what the lady from the DOJ whom I spoke to on the phone said was required." I know it's not in the PC and I even stated that, but if enough people at the CA DOJ think it's required, it could result in a delay. $10 to ensure no delay on the DROS was worth it to me.

uhlan1
11-25-2012, 6:20 PM
I got this:
Download a free lease for online and fill it out as the occupant and your parents the leas(or?) and get it notarized at a UPS store or where you can (chase bank does it for free if your a member) have the address match your drivers license.
Ou should be good to go, that's how I did it

That was smart

hbogart
11-25-2012, 6:40 PM
If you are registered to vote, I have used a Voter Registration card for proof of residency.

manbearpig
11-25-2012, 6:48 PM
If you are registered to vote, I have used a Voter Registration card for proof of residency.
heard that doesnt work because there no date on there or expiration date. now im just going to do residential Lease and hopefully my gun store doesnt need it to be notarized. if not, more mess to deal with my parents.

Euphoria526
11-25-2012, 7:28 PM
That was smart

Thanks. It was signed I think for a 6 or 8 years so, so I would get covered
For a long while if I need it too. Lol

Euphoria526
11-25-2012, 7:31 PM
heard that doesnt work because there no date on there or expiration date. now im just going to do residential Lease and hopefully my gun store doesnt need it to be notarized. if not, more mess to deal with my parents.

That's why you get it notarized, to get it officially looked over to declaim it official and usable legally. No notarization= no good. You can just have them sign it at home and YOU take it to get notarized after, that will %100 work.

REH
11-25-2012, 7:35 PM
How about your vehicle registration . That will work if it has the address on it.

manbearpig
11-25-2012, 7:38 PM
That's why you get it notarized, to get it officially looked over to declaim it official and usable legally. No notarization= no good. You can just have them sign it at home and YOU take it to get notarized after, that will %100 work.
thx, that cool. i though it face to face in front of them.i guess i just have my mom sign it at home and then get it notarized at UPS. all i can say this is one stupid law doesnt do anything.

manbearpig
11-25-2012, 7:39 PM
How about your vehicle registration . That will work if it has the address on it.
my DL and the address on vehicle registartion are a match but they need MY name on vehicle registration too.

Euphoria526
11-25-2012, 7:43 PM
my DL and the address on vehicle registartion are a match but they need MY name on vehicle registration too.

Correct

ptroxx
11-25-2012, 7:47 PM

this will not work... both parties need to be present to sign..

manbearpig
11-29-2012, 10:05 AM
one more question keep bugging me. my dad pay all the mortgage and the bills but can my Mom as Landlord in the Lease agreement?

Euphoria526
11-29-2012, 10:14 AM
this will not work... both parties need to be present to sign..

Maybe, with mine I had 2 notarizations for 1lease signed separately. Covered my cheeks. I guess it depends on where you go, maybe because I did it st my bank...

Euphoria526
11-29-2012, 10:17 AM
one more question keep bugging me. my dad pay all the mortgage and the bills but can my Mom as Landlord in the Lease agreement?

I'd just ask your dad first. But the whole thing this is "hypothetically speaking" and not real *ahem
That its A faux lease so yes your mom should be ok to sign as the leassor

Coded-Dude
11-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Go to the DMV and pay them $5-15 for a Driving History record. It will have your current address and is an approved form of proof.

Blackcrow
11-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Go to the DMV and pay them $5-15 for a Driving History record. It will have your current address and is an approved form of proof.

Does that really work?

Coded-Dude
11-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Yes it does work, I have used it before. As long as your address is correct with DMV, it is a government document that lists your residency(and driving record).

Euphoria526
11-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Does that really work?

It might work without a DL but they'll just say it's the same because it's the same exact documentation of your drivers lisence from the DMV= same thing.
It also depends on the ffl too

Coded-Dude
11-29-2012, 10:48 AM
so vehicle registration and license don't work? because they are both DMV.......

manbearpig
11-29-2012, 10:49 AM

srry for all the fiasco. i'm kinda of in a panic because i can get my first handgun like next week or so. But yet i havent proof of residency work out. i dont think this will work because the car registered to my dad and i havent violate any traffic law;my last traffic violation was 2 years ago. can my name be in there?

trevorlc
11-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Having a document notarized is just a certification that a 3rd party confirmed the identity of the person(s) who signed the document. A notarized document is only more legal than a matching document with out notarization because the signatures are considered trusted. (if contested the notary can be contacted and their ledger inspected that will have information on the form of ID they saw and your thumb print.)

Understand that a notary is in no way an attorney, some attorney's are ALSO a notary but one does not guarantee the other. A notary will inspect the document however they are looking for any signs of fraud and such not necessarily actual legal implications of the document. Such as missing pages, names matching up with those signing, etc. In a situation where the signature line might call for "landlord" or other generic title they are NOT going to make that person prove they are in fact the property owner or authorized landlord.

I would also exercise caution in your situation, the last thing you want is to create and use fraudulent documents to obtain firearm. Personally I think drawing up a lease between you and your parents should be perfectly fine however I'd work on the less is more principle, using one of those mult page lease templates is a lot more room for something to be a problem if ever investigated. I'd draw up something is minimal as possible. Though be sure any local or state disclosers/statements that are required are included as without them it might not be considered valid.

Coded-Dude
11-29-2012, 10:53 AM
A DMV driving recrod is nothing more than a history of your driving infractions(i.e. tickets). It is not a paper license and it is not vehicle registration, it is a completely different document. It has your address printed on it and there is no reason it should NOT work as a proof of residency. I have used it before.

You can get a 1 year history report or you can get a 5 year history report(you may even be able to get 10-15, i don't recall). You used to be able to print out a 1 year online, but you have to go in now.

trevorlc
11-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Might you have any other government document/letter sent to you by federal, state or city in the last year?

According to: http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/resprf

Government-issued (city, county, special district, state or federal) documentation that has all of the following - - This does not include a drivers license or DMV-issued ID card:
The name of the transferee as it appears on the transferee's CDL or CID.
The name of the transferee as the transferee declares on the DROS form.
The residential address of the transferee as it appears on the transferee's CDL or CID or the address update attachment to the driver's license/identification card.
The residential address of the transferee as the transferee declares on the DROS form.

That could be a letter from the IRS, letter from the city/state about a ticket, etc. Really quite a field of options there. It does not even mention it needing to be dated specially though more recent the better probably.

350skylark
11-29-2012, 11:14 AM
i just did the lease agreement to get one because my car registration expired, i went to turners and they even gave me an agreement form to use, didnt have to get it notarized just filled out signed and dated more then 30 days back and they gave me no trouble

wild_weasel
11-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Will a Library Card for the City of LA work?

DVLDOC
11-29-2012, 11:25 AM
One of the local gun store gave me an issue regarding my middle name not showing on my vehicle registration document but my address on my DL and registration matches, I guess it really dependeds on the store/dealer cuz I went to a different store and they accepted my vehecle registration as proof of residency.

jdmstuff
11-29-2012, 8:37 PM
Just have your parents add your name as an additional registered owner of a car. It can be easily done at DMV, or AAA office. It will run you about $15 and you can have proof the same day. This will only work if you have a car that is not currently being financed.

Euphoria526
11-30-2012, 4:41 AM
Having a document notarized is just a certification that a 3rd party confirmed the identity of the person(s) who signed the document. A notarized document is only more legal than a matching document with out notarization because the signatures are considered trusted. (if contested the notary can be contacted and their ledger inspected that will have information on the form of ID they saw and your thumb print.)

Understand that a notary is in no way an attorney, some attorney's are ALSO a notary but one does not guarantee the other. A notary will inspect the document however they are looking for any signs of fraud and such not necessarily actual legal implications of the document. Such as missing pages, names matching up with those signing, etc. In a situation where the signature line might call for "landlord" or other generic title they are NOT going to make that person prove they are in fact the property owner or authorized landlord.

I would also exercise caution in your situation, the last thing you want is to create and use fraudulent documents to obtain firearm. Personally I think drawing up a lease between you and your parents should be perfectly fine however I'd work on the less is more principle, using one of those mult page lease templates is a lot more room for something to be a problem if ever investigated. I'd draw up something is minimal as possible. Though be sure any local or state disclosers/statements that are required are included as without them it might not be considered valid.

Non of it is fraudulent, it's a signed agreement between parents and their kids, I've known plenty of people who've done this and payed rent at there bitter parents house. :/

Op- if you know the gun and the store of which your buying. Just ask what they need as proof. Some stores might require different things.

trevorlc
11-30-2012, 5:21 AM
Non of it is fraudulent, it's a signed agreement between parents and their kids, I've known plenty of people who've done this and payed rent at there bitter parents house. :/

Op- if you know the gun and the store of which your buying. Just ask what they need as proof. Some stores might require different things.

I was simply saying caution should be exercised to avoid any possible fraud issues because it easily could go that direction, I also went on to say it should be fine.

MIAMIbaseballer
11-30-2012, 5:28 AM
Why don't you make this easy and just ask the gun store what they will accept...