PDA

View Full Version : I used to be a Glock hater...

SilverTauron
11-25-2012, 4:24 PM
Then I bought one.

LE trade Glock 22 w/NY1.I would keep typing,but I've got a semitrailer load of crow to eat.

ZombieTactics
11-25-2012, 4:27 PM
They do grow on you.

fullspeed1
11-25-2012, 4:27 PM
Then I bought one.

LE trade Glock 22 w/NY1.I would keep typing,but I've got a semitrailer load of crow to eat.

Lol, Classic!

Raider888
11-25-2012, 4:29 PM
Me too. Glock 23 and 30 SF are my go to guns.

vintagearms
11-25-2012, 4:30 PM
They do grow on you.

Yup! My duty gun is a G22. Now I have three Glocks, 22 Gen 3, 19, 22 Gen 4.:)

LMTluvr
11-25-2012, 4:30 PM
Then I bought one.

Eh it happens. Eventually I think we will all finally come to the conclusion " to each man his own".

Btw NY1? Does that mean its am nypd trade in? That would be pretty nifty if that were the case. You know it's shot somebody, more likely an innocent bystander Vrs. A suspect but hey who's keeping track?!

DRAB_81
11-25-2012, 4:31 PM
Then I bought one.

Atleast you're man enough to admit it. I'm glad you're enjoying your new Glock, I'm sure you'll find them just as addicting as 1911's.

nick
11-25-2012, 4:41 PM
Eh it happens. Eventually I think we will all finally come to the conclusion " to each man his own".

Btw NY1? Does that mean its am nypd trade in? That would be pretty nifty if that were the case. You know it's shot somebody, more likely an innocent bystander Vrs. A suspect but hey who's keeping track?!

That means an 8# connector.

LMTluvr
11-25-2012, 4:42 PM
That means an 8# connector.

Oh. Got it. Thanks!

Freq18Hz
11-25-2012, 4:46 PM
I never really understood all the hate (or love) for Glocks. They are just simple, safe, somewhat lightweight, reliable weapons. They aren't special, or nice, but they work. The beauty is in the simplicity of design, lower maintenance required, and the fact that they just are what they are.

People complain about em, but if you can't do it with a Glock, you aren't trying hard enough.

I do however think they cost about $100-$200 too much for what they are.

-Freq

fullrearview
11-25-2012, 5:21 PM
I was issued one about a month ago. I never shot them well until now. I'm still not comfortable with it yet, but as I have become a better shooter overall, I now shoot them really well. I still don't find it anymore reliable than a Sig or XD.

Capybara
11-25-2012, 5:24 PM
I think Glocks are great. I hated the grip angle when I used to hold them at the gun shop, they felt "wrong" but then I got to shoot a few of them in my beginning handgun class. All of that, "wrong grip angle" went out the window, shooting them felt great.

I still don't have one but a Gen III 34 has my name written all over it and possibly a 26 for HD as a stash gun.

Euphoria526
11-25-2012, 5:24 PM
Nooooo. Why god why!! Jk lol

uhlan1
11-25-2012, 5:30 PM
Was a Sig/CZ guy. Liked steel. Then I got a Glock. Now I have 8. Accurate, super easy to maintain and work on yourself. What? Only 37 parts or something, half of the Sig I believe. Still love Sigs, in fact have 2 Scorpions lined up and paid for, and my CZ's are fantastic but took out 4 guns today, 2 were Glocks. I think they are so easy they just grow on you. (hate the sights though, first thing I change out)
Are they overpriced? I don't know. Each Scorpion I have coming is over a grand. Do they shoot 2x better than a Glock? Besides, in this state they're all bloody well over-priced.

MA2
11-25-2012, 5:38 PM
Cool!

I am starting to like the NY1 more that it's more breaking in (with a 3.5 connector).

Anyone have a 2# connector with the NY1, there is one review on midway, and he seems to like that combo.
The 2# connector only has a soso reviews total :-|

jonc
11-25-2012, 5:59 PM
I like them

USMC 82-86
11-25-2012, 6:14 PM
Same here I used to never give them a second look regardless of price, then I tried one and glad I did. Have to admit for the money, quality and reliability are top notch.

zod
11-25-2012, 6:29 PM
I have come full circle with Glocks also. I started with Glock, then abandoned the format in favor of Sig P series, M&P series, and a few other brands here and there. Now I'm back to Glock 19's exclusively. I own a regular Gen 3 19, Gen 3 19c, and a still in jail Gen 3 19 RTF.

myk
11-25-2012, 6:32 PM
Then I bought one.

Lol, what about them did you hate so much?

SoyB3an
11-25-2012, 6:48 PM
Welcome to the club :mnl:

SilverTauron
11-25-2012, 7:15 PM
Lol, what about them did you hate so much?

The rabid jihadist following is what turned me off.I was quite happy with my used 1911 too.Who can argue with a single action 4.5lb trigger?

Then I stripped the grip screw bushings.4 hours on the interstate and a $50 gunsmith fee later,I thought that owning a 100 year old design that requires hand fitted parts replacement was unwise.

I traded it for the Glock and am happy I did so.Nothing against the 1911 guys,but I'm not ready to invest $80 in a set of files and more $ for parts,books,and service manuals to maintain it.

KIDRR
11-25-2012, 7:24 PM
I use to be a HK and Sig guy, now I have 4 Glocks and no HK's and just one Sig left. Getting the 5th Glock in a few days probably :D

Fherot
11-25-2012, 7:41 PM
I went from a G21sf as first handgun to a G19 then tried a G30 and finally settled on a G26 as my favorite handgun. Kind of weird for a 6'4 person I guess.. Love the G23c too my step dad has. Never liked .40 or gave it thought before that.

I love that I can maintain and 'gunsmith' my Glock with a fat matchstick or chopstick.

MA2
11-25-2012, 7:50 PM
The rabid jihadist following is what turned me off.I was quite happy with my used 1911 too.Who can argue with a single action 4.5lb trigger?

Then I stripped the grip screw bushings.4 hours on the interstate and a $50 gunsmith fee later,I thought that owning a 100 year old design that requires hand fitted parts replacement was unwise.

I traded it for the Glock and am happy I did so.Nothing against the 1911 guys,but I'm not ready to invest $80 in a set of files and more $ for parts,books,and service manuals to maintain it.

As with most fan base, you simply need to block out some extreme fanboyizm.

Someone on the 1911 forum is prob. posing, got a 1911 for my Glock, hope you did not equal swap.

Sorry about the bushing, that could of been a $20 total fix with a screw extractor and new bushing.
SAO ~1/8 inch trigger pull with hammer = too much fun :D

nrgcruizer
11-25-2012, 7:56 PM
I wasn't a Glock fan either. I was a Beretta guy. I took my Beretta 92FS for my first session in class. I shot okay. Then on the following session, I decided to take my G21. Son of freak...there's only one hole on the target. :mad: Then when I got up closer to check our targets, all 3 rounds almost shot through the same hole at 7 yds. Now I own a G21SF, G17, G26. I think a G22 or 23 will be finding a new home to join its brothers.

OUTLAWZ
11-25-2012, 8:11 PM
Welcome to the club! Rock out with your Glock out! Glock 17 RTF2 & 19 RTF2 and hoping to add a 23 RTF 2 to the family (Please let me know if anyone comes across one, Thank you!).

drifter2be
11-25-2012, 8:31 PM
I wasn't a Glock fan either. I was a Beretta guy. I took my Beretta 92FS for my first session in class. I shot okay. Then on the following session, I decided to take my G21. Son of freak...there's only one hole on the target. :mad: Then when I got up closer to check our targets, all 3 rounds almost shot through the same hole at 7 yds. Now I own a G21SF, G17, G26. I think a G22 or 23 will be finding a new home to join its brothers.

Almost similar experience sold me on Glock. Took my 92FS and a G23 I had gotten in a trade to the range. First time shooting the Glock, 30th time at the range with a Beretta. Shot with the Beretta, then shot a group almost half that size with the Glock. Right now I only have a G19, as I have trimmed myself down to just 9mm, .380 and .38, but if I expand out to another caliber again I will be buying a Glock first.

animossity
11-25-2012, 8:31 PM
Same thing happened to me, I bought an LE trade in G22 and I can't shoot it enough now and I hated them in the past.

Ponderosa2
11-25-2012, 8:51 PM
I'm in the same boat. I carried an HK for my ccw for a couple of years, but my buddy insisted that I get a Glock the next handgun I purchased. Now my everyday carry is a Glock 19. I like the simplicity. If I ever have to draw my gun, I don't want to have to think about a safety, a double action first pull, or anything. I want it up and ready to go without thinking. I know practice and range time can get me to that point with any pistol, and I was there with my HK. But I like the idea of taking out as many variables as possible, and I feel like my Glock does that for me.

Dhena81
11-25-2012, 8:56 PM
I have come full circle with Glocks also. I started with Glock, then abandoned the format in favor of Sig P series, M&P series, and a few other brands here and there. Now I'm back to Glock 19's exclusively. I own a regular Gen 3 19, Gen 3 19c, and a still in jail Gen 3 19 RTF.

Same here first gun was a Gen 3 21 then I sold it and bought a couple HK's and a couple Sig's and some 1911's. Then about a year ago I sold all of them minus a P226 and now I only have 2 G17's and the 226. Next gun is going to be a G19 after that I'm getting a semi custom 1911 and I'll be done with handguns.

Mossy Man
11-25-2012, 9:01 PM
Also did not favor glocks.

Shot my cousin's 19 and bought my own a month later.

Love it, shoot better with it than any of my other pistols, and its uber reliable

senorpeligro
11-25-2012, 9:07 PM
A G19 was the first handgun I fired...

A G22 was the first handgun I bought.

Rugged, simple and reliable. Put a hundred trouble free rounds downrange today.

SilverTauron
11-25-2012, 9:14 PM
As with most fan base, you simply need to block out some extreme fanboyizm.

Someone on the 1911 forum is prob. posing, got a 1911 for my Glock, hope you did not equal swap.

Sorry about the bushing, that could of been a $20 total fix with a screw extractor and new bushing.
SAO ~1/8 inch trigger pull with hammer = too much fun :D

The real catalyst for the swap ( it was a bargain 1911 with serious finish wear in exchange for a Glock with a box and 2 mags) was the failure of another gun in my stable. I fixed it myself, but the experience reminded me that all guns eventually break if you shoot them enough.

With a Glock, I can order a part and stick it in the gun. Period. A 1911 ....not so much. I detail stripped mine , got it back together, and immediately understood why good gunsmiths have year long waiting lists.

gant
11-25-2012, 9:45 PM
Was a Sig/CZ guy. Liked steel. Then I got a Glock. Now I have 8. Accurate, super easy to maintain and work on yourself. What? Only 37 parts or something, half of the Sig I believe. Still love Sigs, in fact have 2 Scorpions lined up and paid for, and my CZ's are fantastic but took out 4 guns today, 2 were Glocks. I think they are so easy they just grow on you. (hate the sights though, first thing I change out)
Are they overpriced? I don't know. Each Scorpion I have coming is over a grand. Do they shoot 2x better than a Glock? Besides, in this state they're all bloody well over-priced.

i was the same way

i had
sig p226
sig 1911
cz sp01

only had metal guns, when i got my CCW i had to pick a gun to carry and i rented a glock and saw why everyone loves them they just work, the only gun i have right now is my glock 23 all my other guns i sold.

NorCalK9.com
11-25-2012, 9:58 PM
Lol I started with a Beretta, allot of malfunctions and 1 year later I got my first Glock, a g27 loved it, then got the g23, then got the g19,, then got the g30sf... I hasn't fired 1 round out of that Beretta since I got the first Glock.. Btw the g23 I have was made in1992 and it is my favorite... I'm looking for a gen 2 g17 rite now, I have no real interest in any other pistol.. And I only practice with the g23...

NorCalK9.com
11-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Ohh btw thousands of rounds later i've only had 2 malfunctions in the Glock... Due to a30 round .40 msg made by a no name company... I only run Glock mags now.....

bsg
11-26-2012, 12:26 AM
congrats.

myk
11-26-2012, 4:06 AM

I will definitely take all that into consideration when I'm done being breast-fed by my 92FS and step up to a .45 sized pistol...

Travis590A1
11-26-2012, 4:22 AM
I hated Glocks. I forced myself to buy a Glock 21sf and once I got it home I couldn't put it down. Took it to the range for the first time and my love for Glock was cemented. I ask myself "why did I wait so long?" Although to be honest my 21sf will more than likely be my only Glock. I like variety ;)

victor1echo
11-26-2012, 4:51 AM
I went the other way. The Glock 21 was my first handgun. I like it for its ease of maintance, but I always wanted a nice 1911. I personally like working on guns and developing my smithy skills. ALthough the Glock allows for some fun witha Dremel, and you can paint them quite easily. They are not pretty or beautiful guns. As someone mentioned above--their beauty lies in their simplicity and dependability. Have fun!

bambam8d1
11-26-2012, 5:30 AM
Picked up a Gen 4 19 a couple months ago as my cc piece. I like it. Im not as accurate with it as my 1911s but it does its job.

23 Blast
11-26-2012, 7:44 AM
LOL @ "rabid jihadist following." :D

I too, was mostly turned off by Glocks due to their funky grip angle, the definitely "blocky" aspect of the grip itself, and the utter lack of any elegance in their lines.

I've now had 5 Glocks pass through my hands, and still have two. I am no fanboy for any particular brand or platform - I just like guns, and have a diverse collection to prove it, everything from single-action revolvers to 1911's to plastic fantastic and everything in between. Glocks are, to me, analogous to the Toyota Corolla. Extremely reliable, durable, low-maintenance, cheap/easy to fix when broken, and nearly impossible to break, even when abused/neglected. They're also singularly charmless and generic, as soulless as a styrofoam cup.

Euphoria526
11-26-2012, 9:19 AM

I too, was mostly turned off by Glocks due to their funky grip angle, the definitely "blocky" aspect of the grip itself, and the utter lack of any elegance in their lines.

I've now had 5 Glocks pass through my hands, and still have two. I am no fanboy for any particular brand or platform - I just like guns, and have a diverse collection to prove it, everything from single-action revolvers to 1911's to plastic fantastic and everything in between. Glocks are, to me, analogous to the Toyota Corolla. Extremely reliable, durable, low-maintenance, cheap/easy to fix when broken, and nearly impossible to break, even when abused/neglected. They're also singularly charmless and generic, as soulless as a styrofoam cup.

There more like Hondas; deceitfully cheap, they make more aftermarket parts than the cars themselves,you can find a used one no problem and the owners think there cooler and better than anyone else. Jk

Yeah agree with the jihadist following, I still think there's
More people that buy them for name, and none of those people are on here. Haha
That and I shoot the same, if not better with an XD

wsmc27
11-26-2012, 1:44 PM

I lol'ed too. :)

Good points.

Thinking we'll get a G34 soon (the lil' XD is lonely as our only 9?!), but sure as hell am keeping the 1911's. :D

missiontrails
11-26-2012, 2:23 PM
In order, and some simultaneously....: starting in 1994

Sig P220
HK USP40
S&W 4506
Colt Government Pocket lite .380
Steyr M9A1
Beretta 92FS INOX
Glock 21
CZ P-01
Walther P99AS
Beretta M9
Springfield Loaded 1911 9mm
FNP9

A few revolvers mixed in......

Now my only handgun is a G17 Gen 3, not because i'm saying it's the best, just because I like the simple platform.

RugerNo1
11-26-2012, 2:30 PM
I like my Glock for playing and the fact that it was cheap. I can trash it and not really care about it.

However, I love my STI Edge and I will probably never like any Glock more than a 1911.

newbee1111
11-26-2012, 4:56 PM
I was at the range the other day messing around and trying different .45 pistols since I normally stick to revolvers. I shot 100 rounds through the full size Glock and I'm still trying to figure out what I'm supposed to hate about it. The grip angle wasn't an issue when I was firing the gun. I preferred the sights on the USP but the Glock sights were okay and that can be fixed anyways. So what am I supposed to hate about Glocks?

Erick Danielsen
11-27-2012, 8:54 AM
Can anyone tell me if there is any difference (besides the markings) at all between the 2? My gen 3 G19 says USA on the slide and barrel and "made in the usa" on the frame... Sorry if this topic has been discussed in another thread I just couldn't find it.

mtnhrdgr2
11-27-2012, 2:05 PM
Welcome to the club! Rock out with your Glock out! Glock 17 RTF2 & 19 RTF2 and hoping to add a 23 RTF 2 to the family (Please let me know if anyone comes across one, Thank you!).

My first Glock was a G22 RTF2 (I had bought the last RTF model from my LGS). I liked it so much, I am looking for another RTF2 also! I just recently lucked out and found (and bought) the Kel Tec S2K G22 model. These two are awesome companion gun/rifle combo.

SacTown
11-27-2012, 2:17 PM
My first pistol was a Sig P226. Still have it but since then the only pistols I have bought are Glocks. Simple, reliable, and relatively cheap.

missiontrails
11-27-2012, 2:26 PM
Can anyone tell me if there is any difference (besides the markings) at all between the 2? My gen 3 G19 says USA on the slide and barrel and "made in the usa" on the frame... Sorry if this topic has been discussed in another thread I just couldn't find it.

That one will probably not have the same durable finish as the Austrian ones..... due to EPA restrictions on the chemicals used in the Tennifer/melonite process here in the USA.

bsg
12-06-2012, 4:17 PM
i put a "close to" lnib Gen 2 G17 on layaway today. i don't believe this one has been fired outside of the factory, and no evidence of holster wear is present; it's a very clean example.

Springfield45
12-06-2012, 4:52 PM
Cool. You can add me in to because I all so have Glock 22 Police trade in in jail right now. I have never bad mouthed Glocks in the past. But a while back I got a signed picture of R. Lee Ermrey for Glock. So now I need a Glock to go with it. Still like my XDs though.

bsg
12-06-2012, 8:57 PM
Cool. You can add me in to because I all so have Glock 22 Police trade in in jail right now. I have never bad mouthed Glocks in the past. But a while back I got a signed picture of R. Lee Ermrey for Glock. So now I need a Glock to go with it. Still like my XDs though.

R. Lee Ermey?

cool.