PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide on a 1911

Rob7.62
11-25-2012, 2:26 PM
I'm in the market for a new gun and have the rifles covered but I'm in need of a handgun other than my HiPoint plinker. I'm looking for something as far as a home defense gun total budget max would be $600. I was looking at a Rock Island Armory tactical 1911 or a Taurus pt1911. Basically want the best quality that will last me the longest. I've heard the RIA are cast though and prone to peening where as the Taurus is forged but have heard mixed reviews on it also. Can someone straitened this out for me please just don't wanna make the wrong decision.
Also as far as warranty heard RIA has a great one but if they go the way of Charles daly it wouldn't matter and I know Taurus has been around for a lot longer. Sorry if I'm rambling just a bit confused. Thanks in advance.

USMC 82-86
11-25-2012, 2:43 PM
That's the perfect budget for Glock 1911 and have enough to get a extra mag.:D Someone was going to say it just thought I would try to help. Not familiar with the guns you mentioned. I've seen them in the store and shot a RIA once, it was a good shooter.

IBFP

MalC
11-25-2012, 4:05 PM
I just got a RIA Tactical a couple days ago, only put 150rds through it but I love it. It's accurate and the one malfunction I had (FTF) was magazine related, which is common for factory 1911 mags. I can only compare it to the couple of my friend's Kimbers that I've shot, but the trigger is at least as good as those (and that's out of the box, I expect it will improve a little more with some use). The finish is also really nice, especially after Frog Lube treatment. Here's the thread I made on my new RIA Tactical plus a range report: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=647735

I heard bad things about the Taurus, but I can't really comment since I don't own one and haven't shot one.

As for the company going out of business, I seriously doubt that's a concern at this point. Armscor/RIA has been kinda underground for most of its existence, but they've really started to take off in the US. People are buying them up like crazy, prices are starting to go up, and they're starting to pay for advertising here instead of just spreading by word of mouth.

MA2
11-25-2012, 4:39 PM
Taurus 1911's are not rostered, so there goes your best value when sse is done with.

Don't worry too much about cast vs forged, any gun will out last a persons lifetime (excluding kb, maintenance parts).
Unless it's a project gun (build up) then yea think about cast or forged.

RIA Tactical will be pretty much it at that budget, won't be your only 1911, so just get it :)

CrippledPidgeon
11-25-2012, 7:03 PM
With sub-$700 M1911s, you tend to get what you pay for. Over about $2000 M1911s tend to just get prettier, but not necessarily better. I'd tend to recommend saving a bit more so you can afford a $800-$1000 pistol (Springfield and Kimber range), and you'd be much better served.

kurt521
11-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Take a look at the ruger 1911. think it's priced at about $700 although they must be holding back production or trying to make them hard to get to increase value.