PDA

View Full Version : How to order a custom 1911?

ruchik
11-25-2012, 11:54 AM
I would really like to get me a custom 1911 from Wilson Combat or Nighthawk. The only problem is, the models I want, in the caliber I want (9mm), are not on the roster. So I am planning to do an SSE, but that brings me to another problem. No one has what I want in stock except for one dealer who is listed as non-SSE friendly in the SSE sticky. Which means I will probably have to order direct, but I am fairly sure neither manufacturer will build then send an off-roster gun here. Any ideas on how to proceed?

keenkeen
11-25-2012, 12:00 PM
1) Find all the SSE friendly dealers in your area

2) Call them and ask if they can order direct from WC or NightHawk

If all say no..then start looking for an out of state ffl that can act as a drop shipper to your SSE ffl.

Since it sounds like you are also talking about ordering a standard model from WC or NightHawk you could just find one on GB and have them ship to your SSE FFL.

Malmon
11-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Order the 1911 thru Ryan of Table Rock Arms. Problem solved.

zfields
11-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Order the 1911 thru Ryan of Table Rock Arms. Problem solved.

Thought he stopped doing SSE?

ruchik
11-25-2012, 12:15 PM
I have been looking everywhere. But I challenge you to find a Nighthawk T3 Thin or Wilson Combat CQB Compact Lightrail in 9mm anywhere ;-). The ONLY T3 I have found in 9mm is through Nelson Tactical, who doesn't ship to CA.

jdogg2000
11-25-2012, 12:27 PM
A friend of mine has a custom Wilson Combat on order directly from them, and they are shipping it straight into California to an SSE dealer for conversion. Have you tried calling them directly? He's been waiting about 6 months but i think it'll be done in December!

mysak
11-25-2012, 12:30 PM
I know you can order a pistol from Wilson and they will build it and it now is a "Custom" pistol but you'll be on a year long waiting list. Don't quote me on that though thats what Wilson Combat told me over the phone.

Malmon
11-26-2012, 2:40 PM
Thought he stopped doing SSE?

I think he's back. His recent post at the SSE thread dated 11/08/12:

Just dropping in to let you guys know that I am back from my vacation and will be doing single shot pistols again.

I figure by now there are so many FFL's in California that are doing them that there is much less need for me to do them. Which is great for me as I really started my business with some other things in mind and when I started doing the single shot pistols they just got out of control. At this point I am happy to help out where I can.

L84CABO
11-26-2012, 9:44 PM
Here is my experience with Ordering a Wilson 9mm...so far...

When I called Wilson directly and asked if they would do a SSE to California, they said no way. However, when my Class 07 FFL (DAS in Solana Beach) called Wilson, they said ok. Now I have no idea if DAS told Wilson it was for resale or they simply told Wilson it was for themselves, law enforcement, etc.

Now as it turns out, DAS wanted too much money for the gun. They are not a stocking Wilson dealer so they couldn't do a whole lot for me on pricing. So I ended up buying my gun through George and MI Gunslingers which is a Wilson Master Dealer. This is my second Wilson through George and he's fantastic to deal with.

If memory serves George had a quick chat with DAS to ensure they were Class 07 and could handle a SSE. Which is completely reasonable. The last thing that any of us wants is to be stuck with a gun we can't get into Ca.

That was all about 13 months ago. My gun is currently being built and should be here before Christmas...I hope.

So you may first want to have your Class 07 FFL contact the dealer that has the gun in stock and see if your FFL can't get them to ship it into Ca. If that doesn't work, then you could either have your FFL contact Wilson directly or George. George is familiar with the CA SSE process and if memory serves, he's familiar with Calguns and some of the dealers listed in the SSE sticky.

Hope that helps! Good luck!