PDA

View Full Version : Sig p220 European/15+yo? Help!

drhee9
11-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Hey guys I recently dug up an old Sig p220 out of an old old safe and Im pretty sure it hadn't seen the light of day in over 15 years so I was wondering if anyone could help me identify it, just tell me about it in general, and if it was worth anything? Only things i could determine was that it was a .45 and that it had a very unique mag release located on the bottom!

Given its age and its lack of care there was a bit of rusting, and a tiny bit of pitting that im sure i have to fix at a local gunsmith but after an initial cleaning i put a box of rounds through it and was surprised to find that it shot smooth as silk... i guess that's a testament to its engineering.

Thanks the help would be greatly appreciated it belonged to my father who passed away a while back.

Eldraque
11-25-2012, 11:59 AM
What a beauty

I was not aware they made the p220 .45 with the heel mag release, maybe someone else can chime im, its def from the 80s I think, Its worth at least $1000 if not more, but you should definately keep it

drhee9
11-25-2012, 12:03 PM
yeah i took it in to the gunstore when i found it to acquire some mags for it and the store offered me 200 for it which i turned down immediately : /
Yeah i probably will end up keeping it for sentimental value. Just trying to found out a little more about it. One of the guys at the range i went to told me the pitting should be an easy fix so now im just trying to figure out how much that'd cost me.

Eldraque
11-25-2012, 12:05 PM
yeah i took it in to the gunstore when i found it to acquire some mags for it and the store offered me 200 for it which i turned down immediately : /
Yeah i probably will end up keeping it for sentimental value. Just trying to found out a little more about it. One of the guys at the range i went to told me the pitting should be an easy fix so now im just trying to figure out how much that'd cost me.

200 LOL Don't go back to that gun shop... im no expert, but I'm thinking even $700-$800 would be low ball offers, just because of the rarity. pay whatever it takes to get the rust and pitting fixed.

Eldraque
11-25-2012, 12:07 PM
whats the serial number? it will tell you what year it was made

drhee9
11-25-2012, 12:11 PM
whats the serial number? it will tell you what year it was made

Im a bit of a novice when it comes to this stuff but it reads

Eldraque
11-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Im a bit of a novice when it comes to this stuff but it reads #&$@"!&_,%*~

check out this thread

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7320040262

what are the two letters under the slide?

drhee9
11-25-2012, 12:24 PM
check out this thread

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7320040262

what are the two letters under the slide?

awesome thread! found out the year on the gun is 1982 via the proof markings.

Eldraque
11-25-2012, 12:26 PM
def worth more than 200 brother. scumbag gun shop.

30 year old Sig. awesome. shes a keeper man. your dad had good taste apparently

alantani
11-25-2012, 12:38 PM

can't believe that a legit shop would try to rip you off like that.

drhee9
11-25-2012, 12:40 PM
can't believe that a legit shop would try to rip you off like that.

i honestly didn't know it was such a scam when he made the offer but im glad something told me to hang on to it. Im pretty shocked to find that out too.

Mr310
11-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Very sexy gun. I wish I could find cool stuff like that in some old safe I have.

Ed_Hazard
11-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Is it marked Tysonns Corner, or Exeter NH on the left side right side of the slide? Should be Tysons Corner if it is from 1982.

drhee9
11-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Is it marked Tysonns Corner, or Exeter NH on the left side right side of the slide? Should be Tysons Corner if it is from 1982.

No, it reads interarms on the right side of the slide. But the proof mark on the bottom is definitely a "JC" im confused.

drhee9
11-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Very sexy gun. I wish I could find cool stuff like that in some old safe I have.

thanks man, i feel luckier and luckier with each post!

saki302
11-25-2012, 12:55 PM
1000 is high. You had better have one in unfired condition, in original box with original papers, accessories, spare mag, etc. Uncommon doesn't always equal expensive. But..

Realistically, you'll get between $500-700 if you want to sell it, depending who's looking for one, and how quick you want to sell.

The Euro versions only appeal to collectors (condition is critical here, as well as original box, papers), or people nostalgic for the old heel release (few- most shooters prefer the pushbutton release). One issue is finding mags for these- the current P220 mags will not fit.

The 9mm heel-catch P220s are worth a bit more than these (even less common), and typically sell on the forums for around $600-700.

I'm one of the few fans of the older Euro style mag versions- the grip is a little fuller in the rear at the bottom, and they fit my hand better.

$200 is a joke. I hope you laughed!

-Dave

drhee9
11-25-2012, 12:58 PM
1000 is high. You had better have one in unfired condition, in original box with original papers, accessories, spare mag, etc. Uncommon doesn't always equal expensive. But..

Realistically, you'll get between $500-700 if you want to sell it, depending who's looking for one, and how quick you want to sell.

The Euro versions only appeal to collectors (condition is critical here, as well as original box, papers), or people nostalgic for the old heel release (few- most shooters prefer the pushbutton release). One issue is finding mags for these- the current P220 mags will not fit.

The 9mm heel-catch P220s are worth a bit more than these (even less common), and typically sell on the forums for around $600-700.

I'm one of the few fans of the older Euro style mag versions- the grip is a little fuller in the rear at the bottom, and they fit my hand better.

$200 is a joke. I hope you laughed!

-Dave

Thanks for the info.
The store i went to managed to get me 2 mags that worked with the p220 .45 with the bottom heel mag release so i took them unfortunately when i found the gun thats all that there was. No box, no original lit or mags. Only thing it came with was rusting, a whole lot of dust and some pitting. :(
I really didn't have a clue what it was worth at the time but i definitely gave the guy a "noo... i'll keep it.." but now i wish i had laughed.

Ed_Hazard
11-25-2012, 1:12 PM
No, it reads interarms on the right side of the slide. But the proof mark on the bottom is definitely a "JC" im confused.

Well that means it was one of the real early 220's to be imported into the US. Back then it was imported by Browning as the BDA, and some smaller distributers, such as InterArms, before Sig set up the Tysons Corner Center.

Definitely worth more than the $200 you were offered. Prime mint examples with box and all ave sold for as much as $800+ in auction. Your's in the described condition would easily get you $500-$600 from a collector. Nice find.

drhee9
11-25-2012, 1:15 PM
Well that means it was one of the real early 220's to be imported into the US. Back then it was imported by Browning as the BDA, and some smaller distributers, such as InterArms, before Sig set up the Tysons Corner Center.

Definitely worth more than the $200 you were offered. Prime mint examples with box and all ave sold for as much as $800+ in auction. Your's in the described condition would easily get you $500-$600 from a collector. Nice find.

Thanks for the background history .

Thanks to all you guys who've helped me find out about the history for this gun I appreciate it loads.

Eldraque
11-25-2012, 1:38 PM
Is it registered?

drhee9
11-25-2012, 1:53 PM
under my father's name
went to the police station initially to figure out who it was registered under and found out it was my father's. The officer working at the desk at the time told me i could do that at a gun store and when i went to the gun store they told me i could fill something out at the DOJ (?) website to transfer the ownership? Can anyone give me any insight into how i can do this. Legally :X.

bsg
11-25-2012, 10:24 PM
the Interarms marking on the slide of your P220 is appropriate, given the year of manufacture.

the older zipperback/dovetail magazines will work for your Sig. you can obtain these magazines from the secondary market; online auctions are a good source for supply. as already stated in this thread, the newer style magazines that extend past the bottom of magazine well will not work for the euro style (heel magazine release) P220.

know that the OEM original euro magazines made for your Sig (euro) will not work for the American (side button mag release) style P220; notches for side mag release were not provided on the magazines specifically made for your euro style Sig. however, American style magazines and euro style magazines will both work for the euro P220.

the euro style magazine is rather difficult to find and will usually sell at a premium price on the secondary market because of it's relative rarity compared to the American style magazine. if you have the 'curse' of the purist, you will want to obtain some of the original factory magazines for your variant of the P220.

the P220 was developed for the Swiss Army as a replacement for the P210, and was originally chambered for the 9mm Parabellum round. other chamberings followed; .45 ACP, .38 Super and the rare .30 Luger. in 1975 Switzerland became the first nation to officially adopt the P220, and it was known as the "Pistole 75" (P75). in the late 1970s Huntington Beach Poice Department adopted the Browning BDA .45 ACP (Browning was importer of the P220 at the time) and had a successful relationship with the handgun. when word got out of Huntington Beach's success with the P220, other law enforcement agencies began adopting it as well. when the magazine release was moved 'from the heel to the side' of the P220 to meet demands, Americans got what they wanted and subsequent contracts and sales reflected the gun community's approval. there were other modifications made to the P220, including a change in grip design. the P220 became more and more popular, and today is universally known as a top notch combat handgun.

i own examples of both styles (euro and American style) of the w german P220 .45 ACP. my euro P220 (P220-E) is a 1983 (JD) Interarms import.

Dakine_surf
11-26-2012, 5:23 PM
That thing is total crap and isn't worth much at all, but since I'm such a good guy... I'll give you $201 ;)

For real, cool piece... From a guy who sorta collects Sigs or at least appreciates them, those heel release 220's have a "cool factor" to them... Not what I would use for HD or a carry/duty weapon, but def a cool talking piece and one other Sig guys will appreciate at the range.

QXSOUP
11-27-2012, 5:07 AM
Nice score... Don't shoot +P thru it.

Mags are very easy to find. The correct ones for that era hold 7 rounds (which are my favorite 220 mags).

bsg
11-28-2012, 12:31 AM
forgot to mention... congrats on your new acquisition, and i hope the sentimental value of your Sig enhances it's worth to you.