PDA

View Full Version : transfer of firearm question... i looked and didn't find a thread on my situation

BLT505
11-25-2012, 9:15 AM
Hello all.

Quick question that I hope you can help me out with.

My father recently passed away and has some handguns. (hence coming here for answers) He left them to my mom just to make it easier and my mom said she wanted to give them to me.

Just a couple points.... All of his handguns were acquired in the early 70's to late 60's and I now live in New Mexico.

So, is there any paperwork I would have to legally fill out to have the guns transferred to me, from the state of California?

Thanks in advance!!!!

ClarenceBoddicker
11-25-2012, 9:28 AM
If the guns are in CA & you are in NM they will have to be shipped to a FFL in your state. If your mom moves to NM, they can be given to you with no paperwork. Be advised all guns that go thru an FFL are registered by the Feds illegally.

BLT505
11-25-2012, 9:33 AM
Thank you.

Let me add.... My intention is to go to California and transport them back myself.

rromeo
11-25-2012, 10:00 AM
That is illegal as you describe. Your mother can drive them or ship them to an FFL in New Mexico. If your father had left them to you, then you could just go pick them up, probably with no paperwork, but I don't know New Mexico law.

Quiet
11-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Under Federal laws...
If the firearms were left to you in his will, then you can legally come to CA and acquire the firearms and transport them back to NM.

If the firearms were not left to you in his will or if there was no will, then the executor of his estate (your mom) can ship them or bring them to a NM FFL dealer, who will transfer the firearms to you.

BLT505
11-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Thank you all for your help!!

Raider888
11-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Do not tell us when & where you are picking up those guns.

Librarian
11-25-2012, 11:16 AM
My father recently passed away and has some handguns. (hence coming here for answers)

He left them to my mom just to make it easier and my mom said she wanted to give them to me.

As far as Federal law is concerned, that made things more difficult. As others have noted, since the guns now belong to your mother, they are no longer an inheritance -- which, by California and Federal law, is exempt from using an FFL -- but an interstate (CA --> NM) transfer, that does require the FFL.

This sticky -- http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=503873 -- while focused on California residents, applies in the Federal law to all states.

BLT505
11-25-2012, 2:24 PM
Thanks all. I'll go to a shop I use and ask them what they need on their end.

Thank you all for the help!