PDA

View Full Version : Shooting range help

backstretch
11-25-2012, 7:08 AM
I just joined CG. My 19 yr old son and I recently bought a double action revolver for HD. Although not unfamiliar with guns, I've never been to an indoor range. Did some bird hunting when I was a whole lot younger, and have done some rrecent target shooting with some of our other adult sons and friends using a variety of rifles and SGs. I would like to start regularly visiting a local range in OC with my wife and son to get polished up with the handgun as it's probably the least used shooting that all three of us have done. I'm not brilliant, but I realize the last thing that we need in the event that we have to pull the trigger in HD situation is to be unfamiliar with a very powerful weapon. Any suggestions on local OC ranges preferably near the Long Beach area? What am I to expect at a range? I figure that I need to bring the pistol, ammo, and ear cuffs, but how else does everything work? And what are typical charges? Thanks a whole bunch

USMC 82-86
11-25-2012, 7:22 AM
Most ranges want to know if you had formal training, but since you have your own weapon you will be able to shoot. I am not sure if they will allow 3 shooters on 1 lane, different ranges have different rules.

I would suggest finding a instructor for a few lesson just to get you to the point where you feel confident and are able to use that gun in a safe and effective manner. Each firearm is a little different and revolvers are a good place to start. They are easy to use and they are a good choice for new handgun shooters. Congrats on getting the family involved and again I would seek out a good instructor to start, ask at the range or a local FFL they can give you a name most of the time.

Welcome to Calguns!

Professor XD
11-25-2012, 7:37 AM
Don't know about OC ranges specifically but I could lend some suggestions. If you have your own guns and gear, toss them in a range bag or a tool bag (guns unloaded of course) and take them with. Most indoor ranges have eyes and ears for you if you don't already have them, although I'd recommend not using the community gear if possible.

Some ranges let you use your own ammo (always brass fmj), but it may depend if you're a member or not. If you use their ammo, usually you can either buy new or buy their reloads. Expect to spend $15-20 on average per 50 rds of handgun ammo. Some places give you a lane all day for a flat fee per person like $10, some charge by the hour, although I've never been to one. I believe many indoor ranges require you to shoot with a partner if you're not a member, and also require you to have experience shooting so you aren't a liability. Only one person needs experience.

Other than that its pretty easy to figure out, just read the range rules and follow them. Keep your action open and gun unloaded when your gun is in the open in the store so they don't get anxious. Muzzle always down range. Load your mags at the lane and not at the table behind you. Eyes and ears on at all times. Follow all basic safety rules. You can expect to spend maybe $30-40 if you bring your own guns ammo for 2. $70+ if you buy their ammo or rent their guns.

EricStanley
11-25-2012, 7:45 AM
Not Long Beach - but not super far either... Field Time Target and Training in Stanton is a great range.

What to bring:
-More ammo than you think you'll need. If you run out and want to keep shooting, range ammo is ridiculously overpriced... think hotel mini bar or disneyland food.
-Eye protection. If you wear glasses, the range MAY be okay with prescription glasses.
-You mentioned ear protection, but... I would bring ear plugs as well. Indoor ranges are louder than you'd expect. Having both ear plugs and over-the-ear headphone style will provide the best protection.
-Water. But don't drink it in the range. You'll need to step outside the shooting area to drink.
-Pick up a speedloader if you don't have one already. I have two: one I bought and my kid. Loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading... sucks.

Most of all, focus on safety first. Not just what you're doing, but what the shooters around you are doing. Don't just trust that they all know what they're doing. Accidents happen. If you see someone doing something unsafe, do something to protect yourself, your family, and the other customers at the range. Either tell a range officer (if one is present) or talk to the other shooter - kindly, of course.

That's about it from me....

redhemi
11-25-2012, 8:07 AM
I'm not sure how far from you it would be but you can check out Insight Shooting Range in Artesia. They are by the 605 and 91. I haven't been there in awhile but when I was there last it was nice and clean and well lit. As others have said some training is the best way to go for safety sake. Good luck and happy shooting. Oh and welcome to the forum.

David13
11-25-2012, 8:10 AM
They all have websites, and their websites usually give all the rules, and the prices.
The best bet is to visit them all, over time and make your own decision about which is best.
There is also a website Where To Shoot.org that will give you ranges anywhere (in the USA?) that you might travel to, so that you can get experience in other states, and their policies, etc. By zip code.
dc

XDJYo
11-25-2012, 8:50 AM
I second the suggestion on ear plugs and ear muffs at an indoor range.

Above all, be safe.

MA2
11-25-2012, 9:02 AM
Welcome to CG!

Little bit of a drive (Newhall), but you must try once Oak Tree Gun Club (http://www.oaktreegunclub.com/) for their outdoor steel range.
$20 per person, no time restriction, you get to use both steel & paper pistol bays.

I have only been to Insight (http://www.insightrangeinc.com/) in the OC, so +1 for them.

+1 on plug and muffs. Most places will lend eye and ears at no extra charge (had to once, yuk - I have a check list before I leave now).
Order some shoot n see too, CG vendor (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=413573), best value if you order 3 or more pack because of shipping.

Oh, you said very powerful, what kind of revolver...if I am suggest a smaller caliber 22lr/9mm to start your wife and son to train with.
Ammo savings will pay for the gun soon if you shoot a lot (unless you reload).
Maybe another revolver, the Ruger SP101 .22lr is a double action as well, be cool, get a semi-auto :p

Euphoria526
11-25-2012, 9:20 AM
Welcome to CG!

Little bit of a drive (Newhall), but you must try once Oak Tree Gun Club (http://www.oaktreegunclub.com/) for their outdoor steel range.
$20 per person, no time restriction, you get to use both steel & paper pistol bays.

I have only been to Insight (http://www.insightrangeinc.com/) in the OC, so +1 for them.

+1 on plug and muffs. Most places will lend eye and ears at no extra charge (had to once, yuk - I have a check list before I leave now).
Order some shoot n see too, CG vendor (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=413573), best value if you order 3 or more pack because of shipping.

Oh, you said very powerful, what kind of revolver...if I am suggest a smaller caliber 22lr/9mm to start your wife and son to train with.
Maybe another revolver, the Ruger SP101 .22lr is a double action as well, be cool, get a semi-auto :p

+1 for oaktree gun club.
I am a member and love the Miriad of ranges they have there.
They have the pistol paper and steel. Skeet/shotgun and a nice rifle range.
Good place, good people.

jessegpresley
11-25-2012, 9:30 AM
Check with your local range about instruction. Problem solved.

cebuvfr
11-25-2012, 10:09 AM
The nearest indoor range from LB would be Insight Shooting Range. Nice, well lighted and friendly, professional staff.

http://www.insightrangeinc.com/

+1 on doubling up: ear plugs and earmuffs, eye protection & more ammo!

Be safe and have a great time!

backstretch
11-25-2012, 12:26 PM

Well, after much research and asking around, I thought it best to buy something very simplistic with sufficient stopping power. So, we decided on a double action revolver: the Ruger GP100 Stainless w/4" barrel. My wife has shot a 357 before, and I guess we can practice w/38 specials.

corcoraj2002
11-25-2012, 12:31 PM
I would recommend training with the load you will use for HD. I have FMJ hat I use for plinking practice in my HD weapon but I will always run some of the HD rounds I will be using.

darmog
11-25-2012, 1:36 PM
Well, after much research and asking around, I thought it best to buy something very simplistic with sufficient stopping power. So, we decided on a double action revolver: the Ruger GP100 Stainless w/4" barrel. My wife has shot a 357 before, and I guess we can practice w/38 specials.

Very nice. That's the exact same model I've been looking to get as my first revolver as welk.

Foebia
11-25-2012, 2:23 PM
There are sone guys floating around that have basic to advanced lessons. I signed up for a basic. Been plinking all my life but figured there may be some tips i can learn or at least tighten up my groups.

hermosabeach
11-25-2012, 2:24 PM
If you do not mind a drive up to Torrance, I can meet up with you at Sharpshooters.

I would be happy to share what I know for double and single action shooting, show you around the range, etc.
http://socalsharpshooter.com/

Send me a pm if interested.

RedFord150
11-25-2012, 6:46 PM
Insight Shooting Range in Artesia is Pioneer Blvd. Exit (South) off of the 91, just East of 605.
I have been to a lot of indoor ranges and no one has ever asked me if I have had formal training. This said, a basic handgun class is a good place too start. Most ranges offer them.
I use hearing protectors without ear plugs indoors. However, the extra protection with earplugs might make you more comfortable.
I use yellow tinted shooting glasses for myself. Avoid anything too dark for indoors.
Most ranges have loaner stuff for hearing and eye protection.
Ruger GP100 in 4" is a great choice. I have owned this same gun for over 20 years. My wife loves it. Start with .38 Special wadcutters (loaded as light as possible) until all 3 of you are proficient. For HD use, I recommend .38 +P Jacketed Hollow Points (JHP). The GP100 is a heavy gun and has very mild recoil when used with lighter .38 loads.
Most ranges sell factory reloads at a reasonable price. You can also buy Winchester White Box (WWB) at Wal-Mart for a good price. Your Ruger Revolver will shoot anything you put in it. Check the range website or call them to ask about any ammo restrictions.
Your wife might benefit from a class designed for women. We all think we (as husbands) are the greatest teachers in the world. Unfortunately, we are often wrong in our own perceptions.
Good luck.

rbarker33
11-25-2012, 7:05 PM
Field Time in Stanton is not too far from your location, good guys and if you ask the range masters will spend some time with you if you are new to guns. . . . family run business and pretty nice group of people. I hit them up a few times a week.

myk
11-25-2012, 8:03 PM
Find an instructor, or someone versed in firearms. Some flaming idiots like me, who've never held a firearm in their life have been lucky and learned to shoot on their own but I never, ever recommend that route; there's way too much at stake. At the very least, tell the RO's what your situation is. If they're professional and responsible they'll at least tell you what to do, and hopefully even spend some time in your lane.

There are sone guys floating around that have basic to advanced lessons. I signed up for a basic. Been plinking all my life but figured there may be some tips i can learn or at least tighten up my groups.

Did you learn anything useful? I've been shooting for a coupla' months now but maybe I could use a course or two, especially considering I'm carrying hanguns around which, for some reason, strike me as being more dangerous than my AR's in a way that I can't explain, yet...

nrgcruizer
11-25-2012, 9:09 PM
I took a PC 832 Class years ago at a local community college. I'm so glad I took that class as most of my training was with rifles in the army. I knew very little in handling pistols. You don't have to be an LEO major. It's a credit, no credit class. I got versed with the current laws and they were instructed by LEOs in class and at the range. They taught us some basic things like driving your elbow on top of the handle of your holstered pistol so that it doesn't get taken away by the perp. I was able to shoot from the holster, hip shoot, and other drills (do push ups, run to the firing line, and shoot) during my class. It was worth every penny.

ThortheDog
11-26-2012, 8:30 AM
One more rec. for good hearing pro. Indoor ranges are loud.

Something I haven't seen mentioned: appropriate clothing.

Shoes and long pants. Also, crew neck t-shirt or something that keeps hot brass from going down your (and wife's) shirt. Even if you're only shooting a wheel gun, it could rain down on you from a semiauto in the next lane over.

stix213
11-26-2012, 9:11 AM
Some indoor ranges have available hearing/eye protection if you didn't bring your own.

Bring your handgun in a case of some kind. Don't just walk in holding it in your hand or in a paper bag. If you're not locking it in the trunk for transport it should be a locking case. Also the gun shouldn't be loaded when you arrive.

Bring ammo - many ranges don't want the steel cased Russian ammo.

Some ranges will want to inspect the firearm before allowing it on their range.

Keep the firearm pointed down range at all times, even when unloaded and set down. Don't ever aim it left/right at the other shooters on the line and "Don't worry it isn't loaded" isn't an excuse.

Don't walk around behind the other shooters holding your handgun.

Have fun

XDJYo
11-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Here is a VERY useful thread that goes over a lot that has already been said and also a lot of tips specifically for female shooters.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=617547

I 100% suggest lessons for all, even the ones who have rifle/shotgun experience.

Plus, since there are young ones, PLEASE brush up on in-home gun safety and the law.

newbee1111
11-26-2012, 6:57 PM
I shoot at Insight at Artesia every couple of weeks. Insight only allows using FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) ammo so you can bring those if you want. I mostly shoot .38 special reloads that I bought from bulletman911 (check the commercial sales forum). I also buy .357 rounds from the range because shooting .357 magnums are fun.

Insight has revolvers that you can rent and I'm pretty sure they have a .357 Ruger. I know they have a couple of S&W 686+ revolvers that you can try. You don't need any special training to try them. The guy at the counter gives you basic instructions on the firearm and the range rules. The rental guns come in a little plastic tub with ammo and they are supposed to stay in the tub until you get to your booth. There is a $10 rental fee and you can try as many guns as you like with that but you need to use range ammo with rentals so its pricey. The website lists their current ammo prices.

If you are going down there to rent some guns and try them out before you buy you will need to bring a buddy. They don't rent guns to people by themselves. You will also need a drivers license. They provide everything (guns, ammo, ear and eye protections, targets), you pay for the ammo and targets. I'd recommend bringing your own ear plugs and doubling up with the ear muffs they provide.

If you are going to Insight then print out a map because it can be tricky to find. It's off the 91 at Pioneer. Go southbound on Pioneer and turn right at the first light (Artesia). Turn right at the second street (Alburtus) and that takes you back into a little industrial area by the freeway and its back in in there.

newbee1111
11-26-2012, 7:07 PM
Since you are thinking about getting a .357 magnum revolver I noticed that the Oak Tree Gun Club homepage has a used gun sale going on and they have a S&W 686+ (6" barrel) for $600 and that's really cheap. While a 686 isn't built quite like a tank like a Ruger I'm pretty sure that I could beat someone to death with my 686+ if I had too.

Dan M.
11-27-2012, 11:33 PM
Hey Backstretch, Firing Line in HB will be your closest indoor range, Insight in Norwalk and Field Time Stanton are about the same distance from you. Field time is brand new and is very nice, but memberships are more expensive (IRC). I go there (used to go to Firing Line) because it's less than two miles away from us. Oh, and if you decide to try Oak Tree lemme know, I'll come too. I haven't been there before. Burro Canyon (up in Azusa Canyon on the East Fork) is another outdoor range that can be good. I know an instructor who runs excellent classes up there.

ODub
11-28-2012, 12:10 AM
+1 for Field Time. Great range and beautiful facility. Careful, you might be spoiled after you go there.

After you get proficient in your two hand stance, practice shooting with your strong and weak hand. Get a tactical flashlight like a Fenix TK15 and practice shooting with that in your grip.

Watch Youtube videos to learn, but take what you see with a grain of salt.

Learn from friends and other shooters, but take what they say with a grain of salt.

Have fun and be safe.

Lumpia is sarap!
11-28-2012, 1:15 AM
Read & respect the range rules.
Be friends with the range officer.
Have fun!