PDA

View Full Version : California compliant S&W Shield .40

Kraviwannabe
11-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Okay, I think I'm finally over my previous temper tantrum about the "shark fin" on the California compliant shield. The more I look at it, the more I find myself looking past it. Smith & Wesson says deliveries of the .40 should be here in the Spring. So I will probably pick one up this next Summer!:cool:

hotfire
11-25-2012, 6:25 AM
The CA compliant crap does deter a little. But you're right, the more you look at the gun overall the more you want it.

unamused
11-25-2012, 3:55 PM
It annoyed me too, thats why I decided to go the SSE route on a NON ca model.

I pick it up tuesday!! If you are in sacramento, sacramento firearms transfers does SSE for the .40 shield, mine was the first.

kf6tac
11-25-2012, 8:52 PM
Geez, they've pushed estimates to the spring now? Is it the same for the 9mm?

ChrisKalan
11-25-2012, 10:42 PM
I've owned and shot an LC9 with the same LCI "red fin". You don't notice it at all while shooting.

I still think it's a dumb rule, but in practice it doesn't make a difference. I look forward to getting a 9mm shield when available.

I also look forward to the SD9VE when available. But that is because of personal nostalgia because my first gun was a Sigma, which I have since sold.

Kraviwannabe
11-26-2012, 12:12 AM
It annoyed me too, thats why I decided to go the SSE route on a NON ca model.

I pick it up tuesday!! If you are in sacramento, sacramento firearms transfers does SSE for the .40 shield, mine was the first.

Did it cost you extra to get the original barrel and mag back or was it given to you along with the SSE version?

Fate
11-26-2012, 9:36 AM
I want a Shield, but I'll wait a couple years and let the bugs get worked out and allow more aftermarket accessories to make it to the shelves.

unamused
11-26-2012, 1:12 PM
Did it cost you extra to get the original barrel and mag back or was it given to you along with the SSE version?

This is my first SSE, and the dealer provided all the SSE bits as part of the deal. and now that he has all the components, its just a matter of finding one available and having it sent to him. Hes really a great guy to work with and I highly recommend it!

vintagedude88
11-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Galloway Precision currently makes an LCI delete for the Ruger SR. I'm sure they'll also offer one for the M&P Shield when it comes out next year.

Kraviwannabe
11-26-2012, 11:09 PM
This is my first SSE, and the dealer provided all the SSE bits as part of the deal. and now that he has all the components, its just a matter of finding one available and having it sent to him. Hes really a great guy to work with and I highly recommend it! Thanks for the info. Since you will surely get yours first. Let us know how it all works out! I will probably follow your route as the preferred method. If I don't have to get the "shark fin," I'd rather not!;)

unamused
11-27-2012, 8:42 PM
Just picked it up this afternoon from the aforementioned FFL. It was a pleasure doing business with him. I was a little apprehensive about the whole SSE approach to firearms, but after this experience, its really no different (to me) than purchasing any ordinary firearm. Just make sure that he has the components for the handgun you want.

As for the gun, I have yet to take it out shooting. It feels VERY good in the hand and the trigger/reset is decent too.

I see that his site is now updated to show that he offers SSE for the shield .40!

http://www.sacfirearm.com/index.html

JeremyS
11-27-2012, 8:46 PM
I like the CA version better. If the LCI and the mag disconnect "safety" bother you, they're a lot easier to get rid of than the giant "caution: capable of firing with magazine removed" white text that you get on the free state version.

unamused
11-27-2012, 10:44 PM
true, however, technicallywith a CCW, you are not suppose to modify/alter the gun in anyway (at least in my county)... so buying a CA version and removing the LCI and mag disconnect safety would be a no-no.

I don't find the warning to be that big of an eyesore anyway!

If you want, I could buy you a CA version shield and you can buy me an out of state model and we can trade! LOL! :)

63 tango
11-28-2012, 9:31 PM
Just picked it up this afternoon from the aforementioned FFL. It was a pleasure doing business with him. I was a little apprehensive about the whole SSE approach to firearms, but after this experience, its really no different (to me) than purchasing any ordinary firearm. Just make sure that he has the components for the handgun you want.

As for the gun, I have yet to take it out shooting. It feels VERY good in the hand and the trigger/reset is decent too.

I see that his site is now updated to show that he offers SSE for the shield .40!

http://www.sacfirearm.com/index.html Ive also used sacfirearm to do a SSE and he is a great guy to deal with.