PDA

View Full Version : Sig P226 9mm to .40s&w conversion kit

Bluesapphire
11-24-2012, 8:48 PM
Hi all, just purchased sig 226 stainless steel 9mm. Need advice/suggestions, I want to get the .40 s&w conversion kit for it. Any thoughts? Good/bad idea? please and thank you.

LMTluvr
11-24-2012, 8:54 PM
I didn't think you could convert the 9 to a .40? Got any links? Would be very interested in said conversion.

jessegpresley
11-24-2012, 8:57 PM
No such thing. Obviously a .40 barrel is bigger then a 9mm narrel. And won't fit.

corcoraj2002
11-24-2012, 8:58 PM
From what I've seen it's a .40 to 9mm not the other way conversion. Seems the frames can not take the stress.

Bluesapphire
11-24-2012, 9:16 PM
This is my very first, the sales clerk says it could. I was skeptical. Please advise. Here is the link. http://shop.sigsauerguns.com/Conversion-Kits/P226-Conversion-Kits/Sig-Sauer-CALX-226-40-BSS-10.html

Kodemonkey
11-24-2012, 9:20 PM
Yes you can. The top end kit works just fine. Converted a 226 9mm to 40. Just get new mags and slide on the new top end. Works great with ours.

$299 is what we paid direct from Sig.

Bluesapphire
11-24-2012, 9:22 PM
The conversion kits are going for 300.00

Kodemonkey
11-24-2012, 9:23 PM
I should add we talked to Sig directly to ask your question. The 40/9mm bottom end is identical according to what Sig told us.

ramathorn
11-24-2012, 9:25 PM
I didn't know this was an option, going from smaller to larger caliber. I don't own a Sig but thats good to know. Very cool...

unusedusername
11-24-2012, 9:25 PM
Technically it is possible to do with some if's.

The conversion slide might not work on older Sigs, high round count Sigs, and has a small chance of requiring fitting on even new Sigs. It's an issue of wear on the rails not matching up with the slide.

Sig officially does not reccomend doing it, but most of the time it works fine.

If you have trouble with the conversion slide though Sig may or may not fix it.

I'd reccomend gray guns if you have issues, but probably it will "just work" as long as its a new gun and a new conversion slide.

unusedusername
11-24-2012, 9:27 PM
Oh and don't forget that the 9mm and 40 magazines are not the same. Don't mix them up or things won't work.

Kodemonkey
11-24-2012, 9:30 PM
Technically it is possible to do with some if's.

The conversion slide might not work on older Sigs, high round count Sigs, and has a small chance of requiring fitting on even new Sigs. It's an issue of wear on the rails not matching up with the slide.

Sig officially does not reccomend doing it, but most of the time it works fine.

If you have trouble with the conversion slide though Sig may or may not fix it.

I'd reccomend gray guns if you have issues, but probably it will "just work" as long as its a new gun and a new conversion slide.

I don't have a ton of experience except for the one we own. But those are valid concerns.

You may want to buy it direct from Sig - they are pretty good to deal with over the phone. We got discounts on mags because we bought more than one conversion kit. The other person who got the conversion didn't have any issues - but I will tell you if you do have issues and you bought it from Sig direct I'm sure they would swap it out. Just state your concern with them, and get the name of the sales rep you talked with.

Sigs customer service is top notch.

Bluesapphire
11-24-2012, 9:32 PM
Thank you ALL for the tips. Please if anyone else can add info, please do. Thank you again.

corcoraj2002
11-24-2012, 9:34 PM
I was going with this (http://shop.sigsauerguns.com/Accessories/P229-Conversion-Kits_2/Sig-Sauer-P229-40-Elite-Legacy-Caliber-Exchange-Kit.html) that state you can not run the upper on a 9mm receiver.

Kodemonkey
11-24-2012, 9:38 PM
I didn't know this was an option, going from smaller to larger caliber. I don't own a Sig but thats good to know. Very cool...

Generally that's true - as others pointed out you can't do a drop in barrel and spring swap from 9mm to 40. But at $300 a whole new top end is quite a bargain considering its about a third the price of a new Sig.

The only downside is that they don't make a stainless top yet. But Sig told us for $30 they would bead blast it for us to match out stainless lower. I'll post up pics when we do that.

P5Ret
11-24-2012, 9:43 PM
When I went through Sig's armorers school, we were told by the instructor (sig employee) that you can go down but not up. There is a heavier action block in the frame on the .40 or .357 models. If you go from 9 to .40 the action block is not capable of withstanding the recoil of the .40, and it could result in frame failures. It may be fine for awhile, but I wouldn't do it long term with my 226.

JeremyS
11-24-2012, 9:54 PM
Oh and don't forget that the 9mm and 40 magazines are not the same. Don't mix them up or things won't work.

Is this accurate? In the CZ75 line, the .40 cal and 9mm magazines are IDENTICAL except for the witness holes (placement and obviously the numbering on them). Bodies, followers, springs, etc are 100% identical. I know it is common in other pistols for people to run 9mm in .40 mags when they get a conversion barrel, but haven't seen anybody mention whether the mags are simply similar enough, or actually the same. But... I measured some mecgar CZ ones with calipers and they're absolutely identical.

alantani
11-24-2012, 10:10 PM
i have two sig p226r's, one in 9mm and one in .40cal. there is nothing on either frame or slide that specifies a caliber. if they were not interchangeable and there are no markings, how is the average guy to know?

i tried putting the .40 cal barrell, guide rod and spring in the 9mm slide and it did not fit.

then i tried putting the 9mm barrel, guide rod and spring in the .40 cal slide. i did just that yesterday. it ran fine at the range yesterday. no failures to feed, fire or eject. the problem i see is that the 9mm barrel is a little loose. i'll as sig directly and also post this on the sig forum with some photos and measurements and get an opinion from one of the sig armorers there, then let you know.

the frames seem to be interchangeable. so what i've figured out so far is that one frame will run .22 cal, 9mm, .357 sig and .40cal. obviously, the .22 cal barrel will only run with a .22 cal slide and spring. the .357sig and .40 cal barrels will only run with a .357sig/.40 cal slide and not the 9mm slide. the 9mm barrel obviously runs fine in the 9mm slide that it was intended for.

for me, the question is whether you can use a loose fitting 9mm barrel and red 9mm spring in a .40 cal slide. i did that yesterday, it ran just fine, but i did not know that there was a difference in the slides at the time. i know that now. i will not be doing this again until i hear from sig.

unusedusername
11-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Is this accurate? In the CZ75 line, the .40 cal and 9mm magazines are IDENTICAL except for the witness holes (placement and obviously the numbering on them).

In Sigs, the followers are different.

They made the 40 magazines able to also feed .357Sig, which made them not able to reliably feed 9mm. Sometimes you can feed some 9mm, but most of the time it does not work.

unusedusername
11-24-2012, 10:29 PM
i
then i tried putting the 9mm barrel, guide rod and spring in the .40 cal slide. i did just that yesterday. it ran fine at the range yesterday.

for me, the question is whether you can use a loose fitting 9mm barrel and red 9mm spring in a .40 cal slide. i did that yesterday, it ran just fine, but i did not know that there was a difference in the slides at the time. i know that now. i will not be doing this again until i hear from sig.

In a Sig P-Series the lockup is between the top front of the barrel and the inside of the slide. Using the smaller 9mm diameter barrel inside the 40 slide's hole is not a good idea.

They do make a 9mm barrel with the outer diameter of the 40 so that it can be safely used. Bar-Sto makes them.

alantani
11-25-2012, 11:31 AM
i have plenty of 9mm magazines, and even more of the 357sig/.40cal magazines. i'm going to get a 9mm barrel that will fit a .40cal slide next. it's nice to have the versatility. interesting that the sig 9mm barrel seemed to work just fine in both slides.

guess this answers bluesapphire's question, though. start with the .40 cal sig p226r, then get a .357sig barrel, a 9mm barrel and spring made for the .40 cal slide, and a complete .22 cal conversion kit and you can shoot all four calibers.

scoobydo
11-26-2012, 3:19 PM
In a Sig P-Series the lockup is between the top front of the barrel and the inside of the slide. Using the smaller 9mm diameter barrel inside the 40 slide's hole is not a good idea.

They do make a 9mm barrel with the outer diameter of the 40 so that it can be safely used. Bar-Sto makes them.

This is not true in my case.
Both barrels are almost identical.
I have a P226 in .40 and I got a 9mm Sig replacement barrel.
I even took calipers to the barrels outside diameter. They are identical.
The only thing that changes is the inside diameter hole for the bullet.
I say "Almost" because the only thing that measures different is seen in my second picture (barrels2.jpg).
The very top of the .40 (left) is 11mm wide. In the 9mm (right) it is 10.30mm wide.
The fit of the 9mm barrel is just as snug as the .40.
The extractor is also a non issue as you can see in the image it grabs plenty of shell to be just as reliable as the .40.
I will say that this is a newer production Sig (Nov 2011) with a newer production barrel I purchased.
I make no claims for older Sigs.

alantani
11-26-2012, 5:07 PM
maybe i won't worry. i blew through a magazine's worth of 9mm and it was plenty accurate. that would definitely make a case for buying a .40 cal p226r instead of a 9mm.

QXSOUP
11-27-2012, 5:13 AM
Buy a conversion kit in 9mm and some mags and you are good to go. DO NOT just drop a 9mm barrel in your 40 upper. The breech face on the slide is different and you WILL **** up the slide.
The 226 locking block in the frame is the same on all models.

scoobydo
11-27-2012, 6:33 AM
Buy a conversion kit in 9mm and some mags and you are good to go. DO NOT just drop a 9mm barrel in your 40 upper. The breech face on the slide is different and you WILL **** up the slide.
The 226 locking block in the frame is the same on all models.

People have been doing 40 to 9 for years without issue.
I don't think I have ever heard of any problems on multiple forums as this question gets asked weekly.
Did you mean 9 to 40?

QXSOUP
11-27-2012, 10:18 AM
40-9
or 9-40

The slides are different.

Bluesapphire
11-27-2012, 10:33 AM
From 9mm to .40S&W

scoobydo
11-27-2012, 8:41 PM
40-9
or 9-40

The slides are different.

How will using a 9mm barrel in your .40 slide "****" up your slide as you say?
I'm not arguing or doubting your comments.
It is just the first I heard of this.
I'm curious where the damage comes from and/or what it does.

SJgunguy24
11-27-2012, 9:21 PM
The frame demensions are different between the 2 calibers. I actually measured a 9mm and 40cal sig frames just to be sure and they were different. 40 being larger so I would assume someone makes a 9mm barrel to fit the 40 slide.

alantani
11-27-2012, 10:02 PM
crud, i didn't see a difference in my two p226r frames. with the 9mm and .40 cal barrels and slides matched up, either upper has been running on either lower with no problems that i have seen. where were the frames different?

scoobydo
11-27-2012, 11:03 PM
The frame demensions are different between the 2 calibers. I actually measured a 9mm and 40cal sig frames just to be sure and they were different. 40 being larger so I would assume someone makes a 9mm barrel to fit the 40 slide.

That's just the thing. I have both barrels. They are identical.
Like I said I took digital calipers to them.
I even checked the the position of the ejector and the lockup.
The only thing that makes them different is the inside diameter of the barrels. However, since the bullet is centered regardless of caliber, the primers are in the exact same position.
So even if the frames are different, since the barrels share the same dimensions it should be fine. (Again .40 to 9mm not the other way around)

What year frames did you measure? German, NH?
Like I said, my examples are current offerings. (P226R SS)

scoobydo
11-27-2012, 11:05 PM
crud, i didn't see a difference in my two p226r frames. with the 9mm and .40 cal barrels and slides matched up, either upper has been running on either lower with no problems that i have seen. where were the frames different?

I'm thinking all the factors lie with the model years of these guns.
Perhaps older to newer share slightly different dimensions?
Alantani: What year are your two P226's?

alantani
11-28-2012, 7:41 AM
the new one is a us model from new hampshire purchased last year. the older one is german and was purchased 7-8 years ago. btw, the trigger pull on the german model is incredibly smooth. the us model is, well, it's pretty rough. even the kids noticed the difference in the double action trigger pull. it's THAT noticeable.

other than that, i can switch uppers around with no problem. i was actually thinking of dumping the us framed new hampshire 9mm, because i'm purchasing a p220r. the p220r .22 cal conversion kit for that is exactly the same as the p226r, except that the magazines are different. i just need two frames, two .22 cal conversion kits, and 4 magazines. this way i can take 4 kids to the range and set them up in two lanes. each kid gets their own magazine. one kid loads and one kid shoots, and then they switch. we can blow through 1000 rounds of .22 cal ammo in an hour and a half. then, for kicks, i can set them up with a magazine or two of larger calibers, and call it a day.

that's why i've been wanting to fit a 9mm barrel in a .40 cal slide......

http://alantani.com/gallery/7/1_22_08_12_8_15_56_76252321.jpeg

http://alantani.com/gallery/7/1_22_08_12_8_15_44_7621334.jpeg

CAGLS
11-28-2012, 9:08 AM
You can order the Bar-sto 40 to 9mm conversion barrel but is made to order which takes approx. 10-12 weeks for production time and costs $210 or EFK Fire dragon has them for $150 and looks to be in stock, make sure its the conversion barrel. I'd give them a call to make sure the order is right. I'll be getting one for my P229 Enhanced Elite 40sw sometime but just got a .357 Sig barrel for now.

I use the 22lr kit for my P220 Combat and runs most reliably with CCI mini mag. I did change the plastic followers to the aluminum ones from Sigpower.com which locks the slide back on the last round, along with their stronger springs. I tried the their billet mag plugs but experienced alot of failure to ejects and I feel from not compressing the spring for more tension so I put the longer original plugs back in to compress the springs for more tension.

thai562
11-28-2012, 10:01 AM
I have done this conversion before they works very well. If you buy certain Mec-Gar mags they can be use with both 9mm and 40sw.

cebuvfr
11-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Tagged. I have a 229r 9mm and interested in a 40 conversion.

alantani
11-28-2012, 1:14 PM
Tagged. I have a 229r 9mm and interested in a 40 conversion.

here you go!

http://shop.sigsauerguns.com/Conversion-Kits/P226-Conversion-Kits/Sig-Sauer-CALX-226-40-BSS-10.html

jefhay49
11-15-2014, 12:27 PM
Where can i buy a p226 conversion kit in the u.k.

dyson
11-15-2014, 12:43 PM
wow nice, didn't know we could convert like that! so why do we need the Sig P320 again?

scoobydo
11-15-2014, 1:48 PM
Where can i buy a p226 conversion kit in the u.k.

In the UK? I though all they did in the UK was bash the US for having guns?

Oh, by the way...

http://www.troll.me/images/resurrection-3/thread-dont-die-on-me-thumb.jpg

Trickshot
08-21-2016, 6:44 PM
Might be a resurrection but worth discussing to verify.

I have a P226 that was purchased in 9mm. I also have conversion kist for .22LR, and .40 cal and here are my observations:

- .40 and 9mm slide are exactly the same
- .40 barrel and 9mm barrel have the same external barrel size
- Sig does not sell different pins or blocks for 9 and 40

Other than differences between German frames, R (railed), long vs short extractor, and US manufactured P226 standard models, I have not heard of variances in dimensions and weight and would like to know if someone has seen otherwise. Have been firing 40 from the 9 frame and no issues yet.

As far as mags go, I have been using the 9mm mags for 40 on the range only. Would not do this for home defense. Because in CA we have a 10rd limit on mag capacity, only 8 40 cal rounds will fit in a 9mm 10 cap. I did have a follower from a 40 mag and it appeared to be the same as the 9. The only thing I need to confirm is whether or not the feed lips on the upper side of the mag are any different than on the 40 vs. the 9.

Functionally, I have had no issues running the 40 kit on the 9 frame or running 40 rounds through the 9 mag. The latter will be corrected this week as a I receive my new .40 mags and will stop doing this, but in a pinch for non life protecting matters, I don't think you would have a problem.

If you have never shot a .40 on a P226 before, the slam and slide weight for recoil and charge is significantly higher so it would not surprise me if Sig made a frame specifically for a .40 but it just does not seem like they did.

Anyone have a new .40 and new 9mm frame to weigh and measure?

08-21-2016, 6:55 PM
Is this accurate? In the CZ75 line, the .40 cal and 9mm magazines are IDENTICAL except for the witness holes (placement and obviously the numbering on them). Bodies, followers, springs, etc are 100% identical. I know it is common in other pistols for people to run 9mm in .40 mags when they get a conversion barrel, but haven't seen anybody mention whether the mags are simply similar enough, or actually the same. But... I measured some mecgar CZ ones with calipers and they're absolutely identical.

9 MM and .40 cal magazines may look identical, but they are not. Keep in mind that the 9 mm is .355, and the .40 cal is a true .400 in size.

While it may be possible to "get away" with using the wrong caliber magazine, it is not a good idea. Measure the feed lips with a caliper. The allowable dimensions are:

9 mm .325 to .335
40 Cal .360 to .370

Perhpas for range use, but never for use in a real world situation.

Monkeywrench
08-21-2016, 7:46 PM
Might be a resurrection but worth discussing to verify.

I have a P226 that was purchased in 9mm. I also have conversion kist for .22LR, and .40 cal and here are my observations:

- .40 and 9mm slide are exactly the same
- .40 barrel and 9mm barrel have the same external barrel size
- Sig does not sell different pins or blocks for 9 and 40

Other than differences between German frames, R (railed), long vs short extractor, and US manufactured P226 standard models, I have not heard of variances in dimensions and weight and would like to know if someone has seen otherwise. Have been firing 40 from the 9 frame and no issues yet.

As far as mags go, I have been using the 9mm mags for 40 on the range only. Would not do this for home defense. Because in CA we have a 10rd limit on mag capacity, only 8 40 cal rounds will fit in a 9mm 10 cap. I did have a follower from a 40 mag and it appeared to be the same as the 9. The only thing I need to confirm is whether or not the feed lips on the upper side of the mag are any different than on the 40 vs. the 9.

Functionally, I have had no issues running the 40 kit on the 9 frame or running 40 rounds through the 9 mag. The latter will be corrected this week as a I receive my new .40 mags and will stop doing this, but in a pinch for non life protecting matters, I don't think you would have a problem.

If you have never shot a .40 on a P226 before, the slam and slide weight for recoil and charge is significantly higher so it would not surprise me if Sig made a frame specifically for a .40 but it just does not seem like they did.

Anyone have a new .40 and new 9mm frame to weigh and measure?

I've got them both and they are the same frame. Sig is really good about making sure stuff that should not go together doesn't. I have no doubt on a frame with no markings if there was a difference then the 40 slide would not fit the 9mm. Many manufactures use the same frame for 9 and .40.

The .40 slide is different than the 9. The breech face is smaller on the 9 and will not load a .40

Page 1 of this thread has some really bad info.

Stingray3
08-22-2016, 12:01 PM
Anyone interested in doing a conversion on a p226 or any of the other p series sigs, here is a good thread with charts showing what is possible.

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-gunsmithing/17536-barrel-conversion-tables.html

Thanks to pduque for amassing this information.