PDA

View Full Version : question about transfer of weapons after suicide

whit
07-31-2007, 7:32 AM
hi folks,

I have been cruising the DOJ website and searching this one to see if I could get some answers, and haven't found much so I thought I would ask.

I have a friend whose brother recently committed suicide. He owned several pistols and now the mom would like to get rid of them and they asked me to help.

I am not sure how the ownership of these things passes from him to whomever. I am sure there was no will, I would guess that someone will be or already has been appointed an executor, probably the mom.

I would suppose that they would assign them, and then fill out an Operation of Law or Intrafamilial Handgun transfer?

Also, the police have confiscated either one or two, not sure which, handguns, and I found a form -Law Enforcement Gun Release Application, which I suppose they would have to file to get them back?

I don't know if anyone here has any experience with anything like this, but if you have any advice to offer it would be appreciated.

thanks a bunch,

Whit

daskraut
07-31-2007, 5:50 PM
creepy.....

xenophobe
07-31-2007, 7:17 PM
The executor or immediate next of kin may file for the return of the firearms.

The executor or immediate kin would be responsible for taking the firearms to a dealer to transfer, sell or consign the firearms.

bruss01
08-01-2007, 2:26 PM
Brings up an interesting question.

Regardless of the cause of the demise, what happens to a person's handguns upon their death? Do they automatically become property of the next of kin? What if these are non-roster handguns?

xenophobe
08-01-2007, 7:07 PM
Brings up an interesting question.

Regardless of the cause of the demise, what happens to a person's handguns upon their death? Do they automatically become property of the next of kin? What if these are non-roster handguns?

Legally? They become property of the estate, and can be inherited by relatives.

Realistically, whomever grabs them first? lol