PDA

View Full Version : Hi caps question for handguns

jeffxbr
11-24-2012, 6:28 PM
I want to make sure I understand the laws on hi caps for pistols

If I own a mp 5 magazine before the hi cap ban, I can't install it on new mp5 since it requires a bullet button and magazine is not in the pistol grip right?

But if I owned hi cap magazines for a Beretta 92fs before the ban I can use them on a newly purchase Beretta since it does not require a bullet button and magazine is in the pistol grip. Is this correct?

I was surprise to ask a handful of vendors at the gun show today and got 3 different answers

ClarenceBoddicker
11-24-2012, 6:34 PM
Yes, you could install it in an "MP-5" if you somehow made it featureless. BTW no civilian semi-auto or full-auto MP-5s were sold in the US by H&K. Most are HK-94 clones & are rifles. The H&K SP-89 (semi-auto MP-5 pistol clone) is very rare as they were banned from importation. If you do have a MP-5 type pistol you would have to block it to 10 rds & use a mag lock.

Yes you can use preban high caps in non "assault pistols" in CA.

loose_electron
11-24-2012, 8:10 PM
I was surprise to ask a handful of vendors at the gun show today and got 3 different answers

That's not surprising!

Here - one of the sticky threads on the subject:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

Most -or all- magazine questions are answered there.

bohoki
11-24-2012, 9:10 PM
you can use any size "detachable" magazine in any firearm it fits

jeffxbr
11-24-2012, 10:09 PM
It's a mp5 clone..

vintagearms
11-24-2012, 10:55 PM
I want to make sure I understand the laws on hi caps for pistols

If I own a mp 5 magazine before the hi cap ban, I can't install it on new mp5 since it requires a bullet button and magazine is not in the pistol grip right?

But if I owned hi cap magazines for a Beretta 92fs before the ban I can use them on a newly purchase Beretta since it does not require a bullet button and magazine is in the pistol grip. Is this correct?

Correct on both counts.