PDA

View Full Version : knife carry question

INMIline
11-24-2012, 7:10 PM
In California can I carry a spring assisted 3.5" bladed knife? Just asking before I bid

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Kershaw-Tremor-Linerlock-Full-Speedsafe-Assisted-Pocket-Knife-Spring-/360518807990?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item53f09871b6

BigJ
11-24-2012, 7:12 PM
Yep. Spring assisted is good to go.

holyhandgrenade
11-24-2012, 7:42 PM
As BigJ said, spring assisted is fine and there are no length limits in California so you should be fine. Make sure you check city and county ordinances though, some of them have restrictions of their own.

Sir Stunna Lot
11-24-2012, 11:43 PM
As BigJ said, spring assisted is fine and there are no length limits in California so you should be fine. Make sure you check city and county ordinances though, some of them have restrictions of their own.

There is one:
State law prohibits folded knives with a blade longer than 2.5" on K-12 campus.

gschoelles
11-25-2012, 7:27 AM
Try the assisted opening and you will find the blade fully opens every time, this is a 653K violation and is a switchblade under this section. In my discussions with peace officers, you may be fine carrying it, but if you ever use it to "DEFEND?" yourself, you will face additional felony charges. It has further been suggested that blades that are automatically opened by a catch of your pocket or pouch can be similarly construed as such.

Shade Tree Lawyers here may say otherwise and make disparaging remarks of these peace officers, but it is your life and legal fees not theirs!

Librarian
11-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Try the assisted opening and you will find the blade fully opens every time, this is a 653K violation and is a switchblade under this section. In my discussions with peace officers, you may be fine carrying it, but if you ever use it to "DEFEND?" yourself, you will face additional felony charges. It has further been suggested that blades that are automatically opened by a catch of your pocket or pouch can be similarly construed as such.

Shade Tree Lawyers here may say otherwise and make disparaging remarks of these peace officers, but it is your life and legal fees not theirs!

It's shady over here - please read the Knife Laws post : http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2289918&postcount=6

Reasonable caution is always appropriate, but I'm not prepared to cede accuracy only to LEO to properly evaluate a knife according to PC 17235. One might experience the arrest and that would Ruin Your Day, but success in prosecution is a different issue.

SilentPea
11-25-2012, 12:19 PM
go for it -- just make sure you stay off of k-12 campuses, post office, courthouse, and LA city.

I'd also suggest carrying 100% concealed or having a few thousand dollars for a lawyer to cover your *** when a LEO decides that he doesn't like the way you look. I just lost a 3" Leek to the University of California PD because they don't understand (or ignore) the law and I couldn't risk a trial negatively affecting my employability.

choprzrul
11-25-2012, 4:43 PM

Sounds like somebody, and a large percentage of aforementioned LE, have not taken the time to actually READ the PC:

For the purposes of this section, "switchblade knife" means a
knife having the appearance of a pocketknife and includes a
spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife or any other
similar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or more
inches in length and which can be released automatically by a flick
of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other
mechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or by
any type of mechanism whatsoever. "Switchblade knife" does not
include a knife that opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressure
applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to
the blade, provided that the knife has a detent or other mechanism
that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade,
or that biases the blade back toward its closed position.
For purposes of this section, "passenger's or driver's area" means
that part of a motor vehicle which is designed to carry the driver
and passengers, including any interior compartment or space therein.

stix213
11-25-2012, 5:27 PM

I don't see how blades that can be opened "wave" style (corner of your pocket) could at all be considered a switchblade. There is no mechanical device opening the knife for you (all the energy used to open the blade is coming from your arm), and you aren't even opening it one handed. You're using your hand AND the side of your leg to open the knife. Smells like FUD to me.

Nyanman
11-25-2012, 6:14 PM
I don't see how blades that can be opened "wave" style (corner of your pocket) could at all be considered a switchblade. There is no mechanical device opening the knife for you (all the energy used to open the blade is coming from your arm), and you aren't even opening it one handed. You're using your hand AND the side of your leg to open the knife. Smells like FUD to me.

Knife laws are base don fear. Why do you think switchblades got banned? because the popular view of people who owned them were only scary people own switchblades.
And yet, for most purposes of a knife (opening boxes, packages, etc) a switchblade is horrible-their bales tend to be quite fragile.

Pat Riot
11-26-2012, 10:56 AM
I own the kershaw leek (almost the same exact knife), and accidentally carried it into Santa Clara County court to pay a traffic ticket. I had to take it out of my pocket when going through metal detectors. I figured they might actually let me carry it in, cuz, well.... its just a freaking pocket knife.

The sheriff deputy inspected it (opened, closed, held it up to the light, smelled it, etc) and gave it back saying I needed to leave it in my car.

If it is good to go with SCC Sheriffs then it is good to go anywhere in CA.

gschoelles
11-26-2012, 11:13 AM
I own the kershaw leek (almost the same exact knife), and accidentally carried it into Santa Clara County court to pay a traffic ticket. I had to take it out of my pocket when going through metal detectors. I figured they might actually let me carry it in, cuz, well.... its just a freaking pocket knife.

The sheriff deputy inspected it (opened, closed, held it up to the light, smelled it, etc) and gave it back saying I needed to leave it in my car.

If it is good to go with SCC Sheriffs then it is good to go anywhere in CA.

Someone has never been to Los Angeles

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

gunsmith
11-26-2012, 4:25 PM
I carried a small folding knife into SF Bankruptcy Court one time as a courier, the guard freaked out when I put it into the tray with my coins and stuff for the metal detector, insisting that he needed to confiscate it or the police would be called. I told him I would call the police and his boss and he relented.

I carried knives and pepper spray quite a bit in San Francisco and never had a problem with cops.
ymmv

Hallucinosis
11-27-2012, 12:27 AM
3" pocketknife limits in effect in LA, SF, Oakland, Berkeley.

This page is good: http://zknives.com/knives/articles/law/caknifelaws.shtml

Librarian
11-27-2012, 1:30 AM
3" pocketknife limits in effect in LA, SF, Oakland, Berkeley.

This page is good: http://zknives.com/knives/articles/law/caknifelaws.shtml

He's missing some stuff, and wrong in at least one place:
1) 'open' carry of a dirk or dagger is not only in a sheath at the waist. This one is unusual, since he cites Jim March's website for one of his sources, and that website explains a case where that was established.

2) San Francisco Police Code, article 17, Section 1291 defines a knife with a blade of 3" or more as a 'dangerous weapon', and then generally prohibits loitering while possessing one, but not possession in general.

3) "folders are ok in the Universities and Colleges." is only half right - OK for Colleges, but universities are like K-12 schools.

See the Knife Laws link, below.

SilentPea
11-27-2012, 5:12 AM
3) "folders are ok in the Universities and Colleges." is only half right - OK for Colleges, but universities are like K-12 schools.

Croikey -- when did that change? It is freaking impossible to keep track of all the places you might get slapped with a misdemeanor in CA law.

the86d
11-27-2012, 5:20 AM
... It is freaking impossible to keep track of all the places you might get slapped with a misdemeanor in CA law.

That is the point. I believe THIS is what THEY want...

I think if I could ever find a single-page, bulleted (not three pages of quoted text, but referenced material at the bottom,) summary that would be best, but I have yet to find one yet.

Most threads (with tons of quoted txt), and paragraphed summaries are a tough read.