PDA

View Full Version : will this raise red flags with the DOJ?

Jon0807
11-24-2012, 5:54 PM
So I bought a Mossberg 500 over a month ago and I have a Glock 19 in jail. I pick it up next week. I just got an email from Big 5 for 10% off firearms and I thought, perfect time to get the H&K 416 .22lr I've been wanting. I know it's only handguns that are limited to 1 every 30 days but will a handgun and a rifle and a shotgun in a short period of time raise any flags with the DOJ? I don't want to have problems with future purchases and I don't want knocks at my door to answer 1000, questions as to why I'm stockpiling weapons. Or should I just wait for another opportunity to buy the HK?

Thanks in advance

Chaos47
11-24-2012, 6:04 PM
You will be fine.

jonc
11-24-2012, 6:05 PM
GTG!!!

LMTluvr
11-24-2012, 6:13 PM
Don't mind those black helicopters. Just coincidence:D
I think that multi center fire assault style rifle purchase reporting is going on but you're not doing anything unusual or even remotely close to stockpiling.

Lugiahua
11-24-2012, 6:29 PM
I don't understand why buying many AR/AKs could get one in trouble...

how is a person being more dangerous if he/she has multiple rifles compared to only one?
He/she can't shoot more than one at a time!

ewarmour
11-24-2012, 7:24 PM
No problem.

HowardW56
11-24-2012, 7:39 PM
So I bought a Mossberg 500 over a month ago and I have a Glock 19 in jail. I pick it up next week. I just got an email from Big 5 for 10% off firearms and I thought, perfect time to get the H&K 416 .22lr I've been wanting. I know it's only handguns that are limited to 1 every 30 days but will a handgun and a rifle and a shotgun in a short period of time raise any flags with the DOJ? I don't want to have problems with future purchases and I don't want knocks at my door to answer 1000, questions as to why I'm stockpiling weapons. Or should I just wait for another opportunity to buy the HK?

Thanks in advance

Buy the gun....

And tinfoil is on sale at Ralphs if you want to make a :TFH:

C&Rtrader
11-24-2012, 7:40 PM
I have never gotten a knock on my door! ... Thankfully :)

todd2968
11-24-2012, 8:51 PM
Sad part is this is AMERICA and you have to ask the question.

HK Chef
11-24-2012, 8:57 PM
So what if they do knock. Do you have anything to hide??? If not then go for it. Buy away!!

huntercf
11-24-2012, 9:01 PM

Thanks in advance

I've bought more than that in the same time period and no knocks. 3 firearms is hardly stockpiling. If they do show up at your door, be courteous and if they ask to see your firearms then ask them for their entrance ticket (called a warrant), they are not going to worry about 3 or 4 firearms, if you bought 20 AK's or AR's they may call or just stop by but getting a warrant for a legal purchase might be hard for them to obtain.
If I had the money I would by 20 or 30 AR's just to see what they would do.:43:

Jon0807
11-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Fortunately (or unfortunately) I found a safe that I like so I won't be buying another firearm for a while. I've already spent more this month and last than I should have. Being new to REAL guns and knowing how California is, I just had to ask. I have nothing to hide, I was just always taught to keep your name out of the lips of law enforcement and upper management and CYA and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the info, advice, and humor everyone.

MalC
11-25-2012, 12:40 AM
I can just picture someone from the DOJ/ATF asking a judge for a warrant to search your house because you legally bought THREE guns... lol I seriously hope they aren't that bored/desperate.

Even if you wanted to go buy 20 AKs tomorrow, who cares what "flags" it raises? You aren't arming and training a militia, you aren't raising an army to overthrow the US gov't, you didn't do anything illegal... what are they going to do? Buy whatever guns you want legally and have fun with em!

'merica, **** yeah

North Bay Guy
11-25-2012, 1:19 AM
No, not a problem. I've been doing that same pattern for years. I've never been denied or delayed.

tenpercentfirearms
11-25-2012, 7:04 AM
Dude, your three guns are nothing. No one from the government cares. People buy dozens of guns at a time and sometimes hundreds in a month. They don't even get visits.

If someone from the government shows up asking about firearms (which they won't), tell them you have nothing left to say to them until you speak to your lawyer, tell them to have a nice day, and then contact the Calguns Foundation immediately.

www.calgunsfoundation.org

CSACANNONEER
11-25-2012, 7:15 AM
Last week, I DROSed 2 handguns and 2 long guns for a total of three separate DROSes all at the same time. I am not worried about it at all.

Eldraque
11-25-2012, 7:18 AM
lol. the most that would happen is you being thrown into a black van and never seen again, relax friend.

HowardW56
11-25-2012, 7:29 AM
Dude, your three guns are nothing. No one from the government cares. People buy dozens of guns at a time and sometimes hundreds in a month. They don't even get visits.

If someone from the government shows up asking about firearms (which they won't), tell them you have nothing left to say to them until you speak to your lawyer, tell them to have a nice day, and then contact the Calguns Foundation immediately.

www.calgunsfoundation.org (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org)

AND THE WINNING REPLY IS!!!!!!!!!!!!! 10%

Rider1k
11-25-2012, 7:31 AM
I just Drossed a lower making it the 8th firearm bought this year. I haven't been visited yet. But I did notice a black van sitting across from my house for three days straight. HMMMM..... LOL!

HowardW56
11-25-2012, 7:32 AM
I just Drossed a lower making it the 8th firearm bought this year. I haven't been visited yet. But I did notice a black van sitting across from my house for three days straight. HMMMM..... LOL!

:TFH:

killathrilla
11-25-2012, 7:33 AM

Oceanbob
11-25-2012, 9:49 AM
On a side note the CDOJ processes (thru the computer) between 2 and 5 thousand DROS per day.

Bungfoolio
11-25-2012, 10:02 AM
You said on average 2000-5000 firearms per day are DROSed? WOW! How many people reside in this state and the average gun owner probably owns more than 2 guns right? And there seems to be a surge of people buying more and more guns like on Black Friday! One shop I was at was super packed! Lines almost out the door! People were buying AR lowers and anything that was a good deal! The DOJ computer system must have been overloaded! All these sales on just one day! So how can any Gov't entity try and ban or take them away?

corcoraj2002
11-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Well WindHawker mentioned on his twitter that there was over 10,000 seperate DROS's submitted on Black Friday, in CA.

madjack956
11-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Well WindHawker mentioned on his twitter that there was over 10,000 seperate DROS's submitted on Black Friday, in CA.

Ah! Doesn't that just warm your cockles..:D

HowardW56
11-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Ah! Doesn't that just warm your cockles..:D

And raises the stock price for Ruger, SMith & Wesson, etc., when the markets open....

delta789
11-25-2012, 12:56 PM
If you buy two or more "assault" rifles within 5 business days in Texas, Cali, Arizona or New Mexico, it goes on a "list" with the ATF. however, that "list" is exceedingly long and nobody pays much attention to it unless your guns start getting used to commit crimes. The DOJ doesn't look into this kind of stuff anyway, the ATF would. All that to say, you're good to go. You won't get any knocks unless you're buying dozens of guns from the same place every month. Even then, you probably wouldn't get "the knock" unless your guns started showing up at crime scenes. :D

DuknBucks
11-25-2012, 4:39 PM
Sad part is this is AMERICA and you have to ask the question.

......X2

sfpcservice
11-25-2012, 5:57 PM
The only time I got hassled was when I tried to get my Glock 18 put on my CCW.... :eek:

Jon0807
11-25-2012, 7:39 PM
For those who buy more than 1 handgun in a 30 day period, I thought it was only 1 per 30 days. Are they not enforcing the law that strictly? If I had the money, I have a huge list of firearms I wish I could buy at one time lol

im2ninja4u
11-25-2012, 8:22 PM
For those who buy more than 1 handgun in a 30 day period, I thought it was only 1 per 30 days. Are they not enforcing the law that strictly? If I had the money, I have a huge list of firearms I wish I could buy at one time lol

You can purchase as many handguns as you want in a day but you can only dros 1 handgun every 30 days if I remember correctly. I dros'd 1 hand gun, and 3 long guns within the same week.

Jon0807
11-25-2012, 8:40 PM
So say I bought 10 handguns in one day. Does that mean I can only take 1 home every 30 days? After the 10 day wait on each one?

MalC
11-25-2012, 8:48 PM
So say I bought 10 handguns in one day. Does that mean I can only take 1 home every 30 days? After the 10 day wait on each one?

You can buy ten at once but only DROS one, then pick it up ten days later. Wait an additional 20 days(30 days after first DROS), and start DROS on the 2nd one. Wait ten more days and pick that one up. etc etc

If you purchase several handguns from a LGS that has a range, you can usually go to the range and shoot the guns as often as you want, even before the DROS process starts.

anthonyca
11-25-2012, 8:56 PM
They aren't going to come to your house. I bet they do keep internal files on such exercises of freedom and it probably makes kamala have high blood pressure and lose sleep at night. Go buy as many as your budget allows!

tenpercentfirearms
11-25-2012, 9:03 PM
Also handgun PPTs are exempt from the 1 in 30. So you can DROS more than one handgun a month. However, if not PPTs, then you can buy them, but you cannot DROS them except once every 30 days.

Jon0807
11-25-2012, 9:05 PM
You can buy ten at once but only DROS one, then pick it up ten days later. Wait an additional 20 days(30 days after first DROS), and start DROS on the 2nd one. Wait ten more days and pick that one up. etc etc

If you purchase several handguns from a LGS that has a range, you can usually go to the range and shoot the guns as often as you want, even before the DROS process starts.

I can't help but shake my head at CA gun laws. I may as well buy 10 AKs and 10 ARs and take them all home in 10 days. Now if only I had the money lol

bubbapug1
11-25-2012, 10:24 PM
YOu'll be fine but your name will be on the no fly list and you may get extra attention at the proctologists office on your next visit.

and the tin foil is still on sale at Ralphs.

uhlan1
11-25-2012, 10:36 PM

PPT's are exempt from the 1 in 30 rule. I've bought a lot of firearms this year, what's to worry about.

CSACANNONEER
11-26-2012, 12:59 AM

Lol. Look at my previous post. Last week, I DROSed 2 handguns, on separate DROSes, in the same transaction.

donw
11-26-2012, 5:59 AM
it is, indeed, a pity that one has to worry about such matters in this day and age.

HowardW56
11-26-2012, 7:29 AM

You may only DROS one handgun per 30 day period from a FFL's inventory, you can DROS as many handgun private party transfers as you can afford.

Additionally if you have a federal C&R license and a California COE you should be able to purchase more than 1 handgun in 30 days, but the DOJ's published rules and the code section differ on this point....

SteveMartin
11-26-2012, 11:24 AM
I think it's a good goal! :D

Excelsior
11-26-2012, 1:01 PM

Thanks in advance

Big 5 is now selling H&K? :rolleyes:

kaligaran
11-26-2012, 1:27 PM
If you buy two or more "assault" rifles within 5 business days in Texas, Cali, Arizona or New Mexico, it goes on a "list" with the ATF. however, that "list" is exceedingly long and nobody pays much attention to it unless your guns start getting used to commit crimes. The DOJ doesn't look into this kind of stuff anyway, the ATF would. All that to say, you're good to go. You won't get any knocks unless you're buying dozens of guns from the same place every month. Even then, you probably wouldn't get "the knock" unless your guns started showing up at crime scenes. :D

I've never heard this. Do you have a source?

I'm making a big purchase next month as a xmas present to myself, a shotgun, bolt action and 2 stripped lowers. So I'm very curious to hear more.

In addition, I'm told by a dealer here in CA that if someone buys 5+ they are supposed to report it to the CADoJ. I have yet to confirm this though.

kaligaran
11-26-2012, 8:57 PM
I've never heard this. Do you have a source?

I'm making a big purchase next month as a xmas present to myself, a shotgun, bolt action and 2 stripped lowers. So I'm very curious to hear more.

In addition, I'm told by a dealer here in CA that if someone buys 5+ they are supposed to report it to the CADoJ. I have yet to confirm this though.

Nothing on this? Did a quick search and came up with nothing.
If anyone has any details, I'd be very interested in hearing them.

S470FM
11-27-2012, 4:23 AM
Big 5 does not sell HK, they do sell Umarex which is licensed to sell the 416 .22--but that is NOT an HK

Jon0807
11-27-2012, 6:45 AM
Well if you wanna get all technical about it, yes it's technically a Umarex but it does have HK all over the thing! :44:

North Bay Guy
11-28-2012, 9:41 PM
Is the Big 5 on Cleveland in Santa Rosa the only one that sells real AR15 platform (5.56/.223) rifles? They even had an AR10, I'm not kidding.