PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPK - Like Another Hole in the Head...

Red Devil
11-24-2012, 3:11 PM
So, like all y'all, I suffer through the incessant simpering after the release of SkyFall.

The .380 Auto is a joke as a defensive round. (I carry a G36 .45 ACP for Pete's sake)

Watched The .380 ACP Sucks by Nutnfancy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEmF430-buc) and confirmed it.

They're heavy... about what my G36 is.

They aren't even on "Uncle Joe's" list if I was in the Soviet Province.

I had a .22 LR pistol a few decades back just like it and liked it a little, maybe even more than a little.

Then I noticed in Nutnfancy's vid that the PPK was steady and accurate when shot.

Then I watched tnoutdoors9's Speer Gold Dot .380 ACP 90 gr Ammo Test (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTTuXpFChsA)

Then I stumbled across a blued steel model NIB for ~ $600 OTD.

http://sgcusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/W/a/Walther_PPK_Blued_A.large.jpg

http://sgcusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/W/a/Walther_PPK_Blued_B.jpg

Crap...

Your Thoughts.

Oceanbob
11-24-2012, 3:16 PM
I've owned one back in the day before plastic wonder nines.

The one I owned always cut the webbing of my shooting hand; slide would come back and do that in recoil. Snappy kick as well.

But who's to say James Bond was wrong..?..hehehe

They do look cool. If I were to get one today it would be the stainless model.

Inverted
11-24-2012, 3:21 PM
Nutnfancy is a doomsday psychotic moron who should be shot. Sure, .380 is not as powerful as any handgun caliber bigger than it. But for a personal carry gun for protection, or home defense its not THAT bad. It is certainly lethal enough to kill. I had a Bersa .380 and loved it.

InGrAM
11-24-2012, 3:50 PM
.380 is a fine round for SD with the right ammo, especially if you reload it.

PPK's are neat guns, I owned an Interarm's one awhile back. It was a nice gun but it caused a lot of slide/hammer bite. Personally I think Bersa's are better, not as pretty but an improved design, IMO.

I have bought plenty of firearms due to movies, I have never regretted buying any of them. I say go for it.

Red Devil
11-24-2012, 3:51 PM
I've owned one back in the day before plastic wonder nines.

The one I owned always cut the webbing of my shooting hand; slide would come back and do that in recoil. Snappy kick as well.

But who's to say James Bond was wrong..?..hehehe

They do look cool. If I were to get one today it would be the stainless model.

These Smith's seem to have more of a beaver-tail, probably to mitigate that "bite".

This one is blued... no stainless in sight. Kinda like it in blue though... like hot women will take off their clothes and throw themselves at me just by carryin' it. :D

Full Clip
11-24-2012, 3:58 PM
I understand the lure of having 007's gun, but if I was gonna get a .380, it would be a Sig.

https://www.discountgunsales.com/images/P/sig%20232%20S.jpg

Red Devil
11-24-2012, 4:07 PM
.380 is a fine round for SD with the right ammo, especially if you reload it.

PPK's are neat guns, I owned an Interarm's one awhile back. It was a nice gun but it caused a lot of slide/hammer bite. Personally I think Bersa's are better, not as pretty but an improved design, IMO.

I have bought plenty of firearms due to movies, I have never regretted buying any of them. I say go for it.

Did that Bersa snag ya one of these...? :D

http://home.comcast.net/~flickhead/margaret-nolan08.jpg

Lone_Gunman
11-24-2012, 4:15 PM
A .380 started WW I.

hundreddollarman
11-24-2012, 4:28 PM
I say Nutnfancy shoot a vid where he gets shot in the knee and then he can tell us if he still thinks a .380 sucks. There's no denying the PPK's sex appeal. If I could get one, I wouldn't think twice about getting it. It's not like you're forced to buy the ammo, too.

Freq18Hz
11-24-2012, 4:33 PM
I stopped putting any faith into anything Nutnfancy says.

Not sure about your assessment that .380 is a joke as a defensive round. I sure as hell wouldn't want to stand in front of one.

There you go talking about your Glock again :)

-Freq

Rorge Retson
11-24-2012, 4:35 PM
Not any fun AT ALL to shoot. Like riding in a semi with no suspension. Shot one once, never again.

Whatisthis?
11-24-2012, 5:00 PM
Who ever said every gun you buy has to be for self defense? I honestly want a ppk strictly because its James Bond's gun.
If you have to shoot .45 because you legitimately think everything else is for little girls, then you have issues and are over compensating for something. If you only shoot .45 because its a good round, that's cool, after all it's a great round.
IMHO, people ***** too much about rounds like .380, 9, .40, and .45.

Sure bigger is always better, but if you truly want the gun, go for it. Even if you carry it, .380 would still do the job and I'd be more likely not to carry it and baby it instead.

armygunsmith
11-24-2012, 5:32 PM
I scored a sequential pair, and love them. They sure suck if you have large hands, but I don't so that's a plus.

drifter2be
11-24-2012, 6:12 PM
I just bought a stainless PPK/S, about two days after watching Skyfall...but a Walther has been on my list for a long time. Absolutely love the gun, people trash talk the trigger but I think it feels great, slightly heavy in double action, but a nice clean ~6lb pull in single action, feels solid in my hand, and I like a carry gun to have a little weight behind it, reminding me that it is there. Even with the slightly longer grip on the PPK/S the gun is still ultra-concealable, even pocketable, which I really like.

My vote would be go for it. I doubt you will regret the purchase. I'm thinking about saving up and making my next purchase a blued PPK, although I may just have to find one in .32acp just because...

As far as .380acp goes, I used to carry a .32 when I first moved to Arizona. I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a .38 +P with HP ammo until I found out about Hornady Critical Duty, which is what I load into my carry mag on my PPK/S, I do carry ball ammo in my backup mag just in case though. I did not feel under-gunned carrying my Walther today. But it is all personal preference. My belief is that any gun that you carry all the time is better than the one you left in the nightstand or glovebox, and that nothing, not even .45acp, guarantees you a one-shot stop.

redcliff
11-24-2012, 6:15 PM
I think they're a great pistol from a collector standpoint. Not so much from a shooting standpoint.. and even less from a ccw standpoint.

I like .380's when they're small and super light like the Ruger LCP or Kahr P380 and suitable for pocket carry. If I have to go with a belt holster I'm going for something more capable.

Red Devil
11-24-2012, 6:18 PM
That thing's starin' back at me like a 14 year old catholic school babysitter that got into the liquor cabinet.

Hell No! (where did I put my wallet.)

WTH do I want that for? (cash?... credit?)

If the Wife ever found out? crap, now I also need jewelry. (although the Discover Card air miles might get her to Hawaii.)

Hmmm... PPK for me... Hawaiian vacation for her...? Gellin'.

...Like another hole in my Head.

Red Devil
11-24-2012, 6:22 PM
I think they're a great pistol from a collector standpoint. Not so much from a shooting standpoint.. and even less from a ccw standpoint.

I like .380's when they're small and super light like the Ruger LCP or Kahr P380 and suitable for pocket carry. If I have to go with a belt holster I'm going for something more capable.

I was lookin' at the Diamondback, both in .380 and 9 Euro.

trashman
11-24-2012, 6:31 PM
they are classic guns...although worth noting that Bond carried one chambered in 7.65mm (.32acp) in the novels.

--neill

giantsfan
11-24-2012, 7:14 PM
I had an Interarms version...couldn't stand it as I have large hands. I, too, was in love with the look and the frame but it jumped like a firecracker and although I was accurate enough with it, I sold it and bought...wait for it...

A Glock..two of them in fact. Now I'm looking for a 3rd. I'm a sucker..

Can't buy anything here
11-24-2012, 7:42 PM
I had a German 66 and it was a jam-o-matic. Sold it and never looked back. With today's small light nines, the PPK is even more obsolete.

Bug Splat
11-24-2012, 8:27 PM
They are sexy, thats for sure. Not fun to shoot though. They bite and the blow back design is very snappy. I still think they are worth having.

I own a WW2 1944 Walther PP in 32 with a Nazi stamp and its in BEAUTIFUL condition. Bluing is still a mirror finish. This PP was pulled off the Walther assembly line in Germany when the factory was raided by my wife's grandfather and brought back to the states.

InGrAM
11-24-2012, 10:55 PM

Lol, No my 1911's did that ;)

cwin
11-24-2012, 11:02 PM
It's a beautiful gun. I've always been somewhat of a movie buff...watching Bond films while growing up made me fall in love with a PPK. I'll get around to buying one someday. That and a Beretta...

ZombieZoo
11-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Here is actual movie Skyfall gun without her makeup on.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/lawrence252/IMG_3219.jpg

psssniper
11-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Had a PPKs once, took it out for the first time, hit a bowling pin at 50 yards on the first shot, put it away and then sold it.

Dark Mod
11-25-2012, 1:50 AM
It still shoots a bullet and will still kill anyone you shoot with it. Never been a fan of these, but theyre hardly useless

bsg
11-25-2012, 1:55 AM
my attraction to owning a PPK would be limited to an older example as a collectible.

SB1964
11-25-2012, 2:25 AM
Red...Ur Killin` me! I wouldn`t stand in front of it!!! Nice PPK, the best .380 made & YES, it`s super Cool.

battleship
11-25-2012, 2:26 AM
I would like one someday but there are other Bond guns, i just put a Walther P99AS 9mm in jail today. The PPK will have to wait.

unusedusername
11-25-2012, 3:22 AM
If you want one then just wait a month or two.

I predict that between 2-3 months after the movie's release date that we will see a bunch of cheap Walthers on the for sale section :)

cal3gunner
11-25-2012, 7:50 AM

komifornian
11-25-2012, 9:59 AM
I have a walther PPK and a walther PP. Both are war bring backs. Fun to shoot but are pretty much only a part of my WWII collection. By the way, the old german made ppk's pp's are far better than the smith & wesson versions.

Red Devil
11-25-2012, 4:57 PM
Thanks Y'all...

...I'm passin' on it. (like the Babysitter)

For all the right reasons that have been brought up:

- Heavy.
- Snappy.
- Pricey.
- Weak.

After the Intervention, it occurred to me that if I had one w/o having another Pocket Pistol, I'd be temped to carry it, and would end up needing to use it...

...and that ain't the one I want in my hand when that time comes.

Too many better choices.

Lookin' hard at the Diamondback DB9.

12 oz., 9 mm Euro, 3" Bbl., 124 gr. HST or Gold Dot at 1050-1150 fps, 300+ lb-ft at the muzzle...

Still want the PPK (like that Babysitter), but that's not what I'm really lookin' for right now.

Thanks again.

TheCorporation
11-25-2012, 7:54 PM
I stopped putting any faith into anything Nutnfancy says.

Why?

MalC
11-25-2012, 8:29 PM

I prefer her:
https://www.entwagon.com/celeb/Barbara_Bach/images/barbara_bach07.jpg

Red Devil
11-26-2012, 2:46 PM
Book-ends...? :D

Bug Splat
11-26-2012, 3:25 PM
I think the only Walthers pp/ppk worth having are the old German ones. They are much better built and just cool to look at. As a carry pistol I would not recommend one. A Kahr would be my first choice for a small carry gun. DB is not a bad choice either, Kahr had/has a lawsuit going against them for copying their design.

drifter2be
11-26-2012, 4:31 PM
If you want one then just wait a month or two.

I predict that between 2-3 months after the movie's release date that we will see a bunch of cheap Walthers on the for sale section :)

The Calguns for sale section...cheap? LMFAO

You mean wait 2-3 months and you will see a bunch of 200 round count Walthers for sale at MSRP + 10% in the for sale section...

sberley
11-26-2012, 4:46 PM
It's not tiny, but the Beretta 84 is a beauty - especially the nickel/wood ones. It looks and feels like a miniature 92.

Dreaded Claymore
11-26-2012, 6:22 PM
Personally I like the lady that Bond meets in Thunderball.

Wait, this is a pistol thread? I couldn't tell. :D

Nodda Duma
11-26-2012, 6:31 PM
The PPK is the only handgun I was ever able to ping steel at 100 yds with.

That PPK belonged to a shooting buddy back in CA. I still have it on my "to get" list.

And actually my pocket pistol is a Beretta model 1934.

Damn True
11-26-2012, 7:07 PM
They are cool guns.

They conceal very well if you happen to live somewhere that allows you to protect yourself.

.380 is plenty if you hit what you are aiming at.

I'd buy one, but I have a long list of stuff ahead of it in the queue.

Red Devil
11-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Personally I like the lady that Bond meets in Thunderball.

Wait, this is a pistol thread? I couldn't tell. :D

Like the Fishin' Forums, "Catch" is just as acceptable as "Bait" for point of discussion. :D

...DB is not a bad choice either...

The more I look at that li'l DB9, the more I like it.

Zygote Glock.

(and why they don't make one, the tards must have Gaston tied up in a closet in Deutsch-Wagram)

It's Exactly what I had in mind.

Sunday
11-27-2012, 1:21 PM
The 380 is a nasty little round. the FMJs penetrate good enough that I wouldn't want to be shot with one. Although as any truthful woman will tell you bigger is always better.

Red Devil
11-27-2012, 5:08 PM
Granted, but...

.32 ACP/60 gr. ~ 125 LB-Ft.

.380 ACP/90 gr. ~ 200 LB-Ft.

9mm Euro/ 147 gr. ~ 320 LB-Ft.
9mm Euro/ 124 gr. ~ 365 LB-Ft.

.40 S&W/180 gr. ~ 420 LB-Ft.
.40 S&W/165 gr. ~ 470 LB-Ft.
.45 ACP+P/230 gr. ~ 460 LB-Ft.*
.45 ACP+P/200 gr. ~ 520 LB-Ft.*

(* Std. is very low pressure)

There is a big jump to .380, and another big jump to 9mm Euro, and again to .40/.45 ACP.

.380 ACP would not be my first choice... and that is exactly what this is for me for a pocket pistol.

The 12 oz. DB9 w/ 124 gr. Gold Dot SB's more like it.