PDA

View Full Version : XDM 3.8 9mm compact ownership question

Dantesjuice
11-24-2012, 2:04 AM
I live in california and cannot buy the XDM 3.8 9mm compact however I read online that if a family member gave me this gun then I would be able to accept it. Is this true?

My dad lives in Virginia where the gun is legal and he would like to get me this gun for christmas. Could he buy this gun then ship it to me? I know its not on the DOJ roster and i know that it holds more than 10 rounds. Would i be able to accept this gun here in california and register it? Would i also have to get a new magazine that only holds 10 rounds?

Thanks for any info!

Quiet
11-24-2012, 7:42 AM
Yes, your father can gift you an off-roster handgun.

Before he does, you need to find a CA FFL dealer that is willing to complete this type of transfer. Not all CA FFL dealers will do this and they can legally charge you any amount of $$$ to complete the transfer.

Because your father is a resident of another state, the handgun must be transferred through a CA FFL dealer. This is needed in order to comply with Federal laws.

The handgun can not come with any large capacity (11+ round) magazines.

There are no factory or aftermarket 10 round magazines for the XDM-9/40 series.
So, the large capacity magazines can be dissassembled into parts and made into permanent 10 round magazines.

How to guide on making permanent 10 round XDM magazines (http://www.vaportrails.us/html/xdm.html)

A few vendors are now selling modified 10 round XDM9/40 magazines.

FLAWLS1
11-24-2012, 9:30 AM
Yes, your father can gift you an off-roster handgun.

Before he does, you need to find a CA FFL dealer that is willing to complete this type of transfer. Not all CA FFL dealers will do this and they can legally charge you any amount of $$$ to complete the transfer.

Because your father is a resident of another state, the handgun must be transferred through a CA FFL dealer. This is needed in order to comply with Federal laws.

The handgun can not come with any large capacity (11+ round) magazines.

There are no factory or aftermarket 10 round magazines for the XDM-9/40 series.
So, the large capacity magazines can be dissassembled into parts and made into permanent 10 round magazines.

How to guide on making permanent 10 round XDM magazines (http://www.vaportrails.us/html/xdm.html)

A few vendors are now selling modified 10 round XDM9/40 magazines.
So does that mean I can have a family member gift me a Taurus Judge?

zfields
11-24-2012, 9:35 AM
So does that mean I can have a family member gift me a Taurus Judge?

No, thats considered an SBS/AW in CA law.

FLAWLS1
11-24-2012, 11:50 AM
No, thats considered an SBS/AW in CA law.

Ahh ok! Thanks

Dantesjuice
11-24-2012, 5:40 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply Quiet

I have been to a few local gun shops in my area and have been getting mixed answers for my question. Some people have said no its not possible because the gun is still illegal in CA and some others have said yes i can but its a lengthy process.

Is there somewhere i can go online or call to get a definite answer? I would hate to have my pops spend money on a new gun and not actually be able to send it to me.

Thanks again!