PDA

View Full Version : asking some advice

Giovani X
07-30-2007, 7:17 PM
Today I was informed by my brother that he has exercised his 2nd Ammendment right and purchased a Kimber Custom 2. Normally when friends or family opt to arm themselves I dance a jig, but this situation makes me uneasy. My brother is very immature. Consequences factor very little into his descision making. He has been in trouble a few times in the past, the last involving repelling gear, a ninja costume and a shopping center after hours. He frequently carries his karambit (considered a concealed weapon in California). While he hasn't committed any offense to stop the purchase, I strongly feel he is illprepared for the responsibilty of owning a fire arm.

Is there any way for me to stop the sale through the store and without flagging him for life? The ten days started today.

scootergmc
07-30-2007, 7:53 PM
I'd be sure to talk to him, offer to take him shooting, teach him fundamentals, etc. Your brother may surprise you. If that fails, well, let Darwinism take its course.

Giovani X
07-30-2007, 7:56 PM
He knows how to shoot that's what scares me...but The Darwin comment did make me laugh, thanks.

scootergmc
07-30-2007, 8:01 PM
No prob. That's what I was going for (the laugh). There's not much you can really do in your case. I'm guessing he's in his early 20's, fast car or truck (or thinks it is), nightlife, etc., etc., etc.... There's not much you can do if that's the case. He'll have to roll with the punches.

tiki
07-30-2007, 8:43 PM
There's not much you can do if that's the case. He'll have to roll with the punches.

Speaking of punches, go get into a fight with him and file a restraining order. :)
I'm just kidding. That probably isn't legal and definitely not cool.

rkt88edmo
07-30-2007, 9:05 PM
Folding kerambit or fixed blade?

moulton
07-30-2007, 9:13 PM
He has been in trouble a few times in the past, the last involving repelling gear, a ninja costume and a shopping center after hours.

:batman::94::shuriken:
ROFLMAO
Dude thats great

LAK Supply
07-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Scooter.....

I would consider trusting your brother with his new purchase until he proves otherwise. Just as with anything else, a gun can hurt people. However, we already live in a society that is fond of trying to save others from themselves; sometimes people do stupid things but sometimes that's the only way they learn. I know this is probably not what you would like to hear, but it is my view.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.

Thomas Jefferson

artherd
07-30-2007, 10:29 PM
Breaking into a mall dressed as a ninja actually sounds fun. There is a difference between being stupid and being violent.

That said, firearm ownership compells a certin level of competence. Perhaps you can use this as a chance to bond with your bro, go shooting together, etc. Teach him (gently, he's still a kid at heart.) how a man weilds the power and responsibility of being an adult.

CalNRA
07-31-2007, 12:09 AM
Today I was informed by my brother that he has exercised his 2nd Ammendment right and purchased a Kimber Custom 2. Normally when friends or family opt to arm themselves I dance a jig, but this situation makes me uneasy. My brother is very immature. Consequences factor very little into his descision making. He has been in trouble a few times in the past, the last involving repelling gear, a ninja costume and a shopping center after hours. He frequently carries his karambit (considered a concealed weapon in California). While he hasn't committed any offense to stop the purchase, I strongly feel he is illprepared for the responsibilty of owning a fire arm.

Is there any way for me to stop the sale through the store and without flagging him for life? The ten days started today.

if you can do that, what's stopping your mother/relative/concerned neighbor from stopping you buying your next firearm by making up some things you supposedly did(calling you suicidal, accuse you of breaking and entering other peopls' homes)?

The best thing I can suggest is like what others said, take him shooting, teach him the safety aspect of firearm ownership, and lay down all the Penal Code sections you can find regarding things that you cannot do with a gun and their consequences. Your brother doesn't need a nanny, he just needs a big brother(wait, that didn't help much, you know what I mean) to inform him of hte responsibilities that come with owning a gun.

adamsreeftank
07-31-2007, 12:41 AM

If the ten days have started, then no, you can't stop it. He has already purchased the gun. He just can't pick it up yet. There is a book called How to own a gun in Ca and stay out of jail, or something like that. You might get him a copy to go along with your brotherly advice.

CRTguns
07-31-2007, 12:45 AM
Consider contacting the dealer. Let them know that he is not well versed in the operation of the gun, so they could recommend a training course of some sort. Maybe they would have a video or something that would scare some respect into him for the potential danger he now controls.

I have had family members do this in my store- And I'm glad. The ATF looks hard at stores that sell many guns used in crimes or otherwise collected by LEAs. The dealer will be interested to know that your brother needs some instruction and education. I'm not in any way saying to stop the sale- just make sure your bro knows what responsibility comes with the gun.

56Chevy
07-31-2007, 1:33 AM
The articles on this site are pretty useful for somebody new to guns: http://www.gunlaw.com .

ibanezfoo
07-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Is it your younger brother? I am well versed in dealing with young and stupid brothers. In my experience, theres isn't much a good old fashoned a** beating doesn't fix or lesson "implanted". :)

-Bryan

leelaw
07-31-2007, 11:19 AM
He knows how to shoot that's what scares me...

Why does him knowing how to shoot scare you, specifically?

xrMike
07-31-2007, 11:48 AM
If he's legally entitled to own the weapon, that's all there is to it. It would be wrong of you to try to impede his 2nd amendment rights.

If he screws up, he screws up (we're all entitled to that also).

1911su16b870
07-31-2007, 11:55 AM
...Is there any way for me to stop the sale through the store and without flagging him for life? The ten days started today.

This statement disturbs me in that one legal adult, with no adjudicated grounds, wants to stop another adult from completing his ability to own a firearm. He has to have a CA HSC card and he has to pass the DROS process.

He's your brother, in the next day take him out to BLM land with a watermelon, pin a sign on the watermelon that says "someone's head" and show him what a 45ACP hollow point does to a watermelon. A gallon jug of milk or other fluid will have the same effect. (Law 2 below)

Speak with him repeatedly on your drive about Cooper's laws, with the reverence that they are universal laws that must be followed in the "laws of gravity" sense.

1. Firearms are allways loaded.
2. Never cover anything that you don't want destroyed.
3. Finger off the trigger until you've made the intellectual decision to shoot.
4. Know what the target is and what's behind it.

It is all of our responsibility to properly mentor newbie shooters!

chiefcrash
07-31-2007, 1:24 PM

the only thing i can think of is teaching him to wave the gun around like a jackass while doing the "safe handling demostration"...

but honestly, there SHOULDN'T be a way for you to stop the sale. After all, I bet you Sarah Brady strongly feels that we're ALL "illprepared for the responsibilty of owning a firearm".....

chiefcrash
07-31-2007, 1:26 PM
He's your brother, in the next day take him out to BLM land with a watermelon, pin a sign on the watermelon that says "someone's head" and show him what a 45ACP hollow point does to a watermelon. A gallon jug of milk or other fluid will have the same effect.

instead of a sign that says "someone's head", use a picture of his mother/kids/wife/someone he loves. That's what my dad did when i was 8. It gets the point across real quick like...

tankerman
07-31-2007, 1:48 PM
Is it your younger brother? I am well versed in dealing with young and stupid brothers. In my experience, theres isn't much a good old fashoned a** beating doesn't fix or lesson "implanted". :)

-Bryan
Couldn't agree more. Tough Love. My feeling is if he was walking around in a Ninja costume then he needs to be corrected. Him wanting a gun tells me he really needs some physical adjustment.

Surveyor
07-31-2007, 2:31 PM
instead of a sign that says "someone's head", use a picture of his mother/kids/wife/someone he loves. That's what my dad did when i was 8. It gets the point across real quick like...

Crash beat me to it!

I was going to suggest printing out a headshot of your mom and using that.

This is a picture that I showed my boys when they were 9 & 7. If you're going to compete with images on TV that show guns as toys, you need something solid to drive the point home. (Their mom wasn't happy about it, but that's just how I roll :cool:). My sons have a very healthy respect for a firearms' power.

PS If the mods don't approve of the link, I'll delete.

*Warning very graphic NSFW* (http://poetry.rotten.com/cab-driver/)

Giovani X
07-31-2007, 6:00 PM
You guys are all right in every way. It's not something I ever thought about too much, the right to own a firearm was just that "the right to own a firearm". Until it became an issue within my own family unit. We have always had guns in our home and safety was always precedent over anything. The real problem lies in that he is essentially a felon in waiting, with the "I can do whatever the F**k I want" attitude. My brother in the last year started riding motorcycles and covering himself in ink. I could care less, I seem to be the only one in the family who doesn't care what he looks like, your body...do as you like. Heck I'm in Hollywood if I passed judgement on everybody who wanted to look or be different I would be a pretty lonely guy. The issue I have here with his gun ownership is the fact that he was raised in a Jewish home...and after checking out some of his tats and of course his Myspace page...I've come to the realization that he is falling into a group of "White Supremacist" wannabe's. A bunch of kids who watch films like American History X and get the wrong message.(He's got clips of the curbing scene on his page.) And unlike myself he's not just a fan of Ed Norton. Regardless, the fact remains that if i were to infringe upon his right what would that say about my character...I would be a hypocrite. So as much as it pains me, you are all right and it's not my place to interfere with the transaction, it's just hard to accept that you may have to watch Darwinism takes it's course. I will still do everything I can to teach him respect and safety in all walks of life, and be there as his brother no matter what. Thanks for all your help, kind words, jokes, and criticism. It has all helped me make right choice in what to do. What would I do without CalGuns. You guys are the the Dog's Bollocks.

Richie Rich
07-31-2007, 6:56 PM
Ya know, I did some goofy stuff when I was younger (18-23 or so). A few things that were not the best, safest or legal things. Mind you, they were nothing that hurt anyone or deprived them of their property.

I owned firearms that whole time. Never even thought of using them in an irresponable or dangerous manner. No matter what dumb stuff I did, I always knew there was a line that could not be crossed.

He should be fine, just make sure he knows the rules.

Wait!! WTF!! A Jewish kid who is running with a bunch of skinheads?

Now I have heard everything....

Surveyor
07-31-2007, 8:34 PM
Wait!! WTF!! A Jewish kid who is running with a bunch of skinheads?...

They might be Sharps.

Skin
Heads
Against
Racial
Predudice

They're the ones with purple laces in their boots ;).

(No, I'm not making this up, they really exist :shrug:).

Giovani X
07-31-2007, 11:21 PM
Nope, afraid to say this is the "Red Lace" crowd. What ever happend to S.H.A.R.P.'s anyway...still around? I remember them from highschool, good guys, good music, and no color lines. Thanks again.

CalNRA
08-01-2007, 1:19 AM
Nope, afraid to say this is the "Red Lace" crowd. What ever happend to S.H.A.R.P.'s anyway...still around? I remember them from highschool, good guys, good music, and no color lines. Thanks again.

ouch, Red Lace eh? has he started to verbally voice the "beliefs" yet or is he just isolating himself from the rest of the family?

you said he was raised in a Jewish home, but you never said he was Jewish. But he is your brother. Does that imply you were raised in the same house he grew up in? or is there some family history that we shouldn't go into?

Giovani X
08-01-2007, 3:37 PM
No real "Speak" yet but loves the SS lightning bolts and Swastikas. He's got a nice diaorama of The Confederate flag and some other local hate gruops on the wall in his Apt. I'm still looking for literature, but nothing yet.
No bad history, well no more then any other family. Legally he is my step brother. My Mom his Father and to make it even more confusing he was adopted (at birth) along with my other siblings (sister, and another brother) from my Step-dads first marriage. My stepfather is Jewish as is my Mother, crazy part is when he got divorced his ex-wife ran out to the boonies with the kids for a couple of years and joined a cult (my opinion), and it seems that was when the damage was done, it was a main factor in My Mom and Step-dad getting custody of the children. Sad world we live in sometimes, just glad he has family that cares, and apparently an extended family here at calguns that seems to care too. And by the way I felt the best course of action was to just inform my parents who pay all his way and let them decide...he may be 21 but they still float the bill. Thanks Guys I didn't mean to turn the forum into a therapy session but it helped me with a problem and everyone here gave sound advice. I knew there was more then one reason I joined this form. Good bunch of guys here. Shalom kids.