PDA

View Full Version : Glock 25 & 28

Mr310
11-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Is there ever a chance of those two models being able to collect enough points to be sold in CONUS?

Would Glock ever manufacture them here? (That would allow them to be sold, right?)

They seem like good choices for undercover LEOs or for deep concealment for pocket carry.

elSquid
11-24-2012, 12:23 AM
I think the big problem is that they are the exact same size as the G19 and G26.

I'm not sure that there is a big market for a G19 in 380...when you could just carry it in 9x19 instead.

-- Michael

ClarenceBoddicker
11-24-2012, 4:27 AM
Yes there are ways to work around the GCA to import pistols that fail the points test. One great way to add a longer barrel. That increases points in 2 categories: OAL & bbl length. Other things can be done like adding a thumb rest grip, a safety, etc. IIRC this kind of stuff has to be done by a licensed importer, I don't think it can be done by an individual.

Glock could certainly make any pistol they wanted to in the US if they choose to do so. The whole point of the "sporting" clause of the GCA was as a craven protectionist measure for domestic firearms manufacturers, which is why
I'll never buy a US made firearm. They couldn't compete with foreign made firearms, so they had their boy Dodd ban them, kinda like what was tried by the big 3 in the mid 1960s. A good example is the FN Baby Browning. After it was banned from importation in 1969, it was cloned & made in the USA. Fraser/Bauer made them from 1972 to approx 1984 & currently PSA starting in 2007.

XDRoX
11-24-2012, 5:01 AM
I think the big problem is that they are the exact same size as the G19 and G26.

I'm not sure that there is a big market for a G19 in 380...when you could just carry it in 9x19 instead.

-- Michael

This.

The only reason these pistols are around in Europe is because so many countries over there have banned military calibers, like 9mm. 9mm short, or 380, is allowed so Glock makes a pistol for this market.

Quiet
11-24-2012, 6:54 AM
As mentioned before, the .380ACP Glocks do not generate enough points to allow importation for civilian sale. However, LE agencies are exempt from this and can acquire handguns that do not generate enough points for importation.

During the 1990s, a few USA LE agencies bought some .380ACP Glocks for undercover/off-duty use. Eventually, those agencies have started to trade in those .380ACP Glocks and occasionally they show up on the civlian market. When they do, they sell for way over MSRP due to collectors driving up the cost (example... good condition Glock 28 = $900).

Primarily the .380ACP Glocks were developed for countries in which the civilian population can not legally own/use Gov/Mil/LE cartridges.

Glock 25 = same size as the Glock 19/23/32/38
Glock 28 = same size as the Glock 26/27/33/39

Awhile back an aftermarket vendor made some .380ACP conversions for the Glock 26/27/33/39. But, the problem was the unavailability/cost of the .380ACP Glock magazines ($100 for a 10 round Glock 28 magazine). And the project was discontinued only after a few sales.

Due to the blowback design of the .380ACP Glocks, felt recoil is the same as the 9x19mm Glocks.
(I shot a couple of magazines through a Glock 25 and the recoil felt the same as the Glock 19)

Oceanbob
11-24-2012, 7:30 AM
There is a company that Sells a .380 barrel for a Glock 19. I don't know it they are legit, so buyer beware..!

Kind of pricey as well..Also I don't know if 9MM G19 mags will run with .380.

(like .40 will run in a 10MM Glock 20 mag)

http://sporteque.ca/category.php?id_category=55