PDA

View Full Version : How to put gun in my name

mlaines
11-23-2012, 5:57 PM
I have a chance to get a free AK from a friend but I need to know the correct process. Here's the scoop. My friend acquired this ak from his neighbor without doing any paperwork. It was just given to him. Now my friend want to get rid of it due to his family not wanting it around. He said he would give it to me but I want to do it "right". What are the steps I need to take to get this ak under my name?

FYI it's 922 compliant and has a BB.

Thanks!!!

SoCal Bob
11-23-2012, 6:00 PM
The most proper way would be for your friend to get the person who gave it to him meet him at a gun shop and do a PPT. After 10 days meet your friend at the same gun shop to do another PPT from him to you. Offer to pay the $35 DROS fee for both transactions and you are still money ahead.

ClarenceBoddicker
11-23-2012, 6:03 PM
Technically it's contraband, as it was illegally transferred without a DROS after 1991. You can sell it out of state as long as you ship it to an FFL. GunBroker is a good place to sell it. Use the funds to buy an AK or better yet make one yourself with a parts kit. You could also break it into a parts kit & destroy the receiver. Do you know that it's not stolen?

chillincody
11-23-2012, 6:04 PM
The most proper way would be for your friend to get the person who gave it to him meet him at a gun shop and do a PPT. After 10 days meet your friend at the same gun shop to do another PPT from him to you. Offer to pay the $35 DROS fee for both transactions and you are still money ahead.

THIS plus it depends on when your friend originally took ownership if he did it before the date that all guns had to go through a FFL then he legally bought it so he can just PPT it to you at any FFL

mlaines
11-23-2012, 6:21 PM

The original neighbor is gone. (Moved)

ke6guj
11-23-2012, 6:24 PM

and CADOJ is aware that that is not alway possible so it is not usually an issue for the current owner and buyer to just do a PPT. CADOJ would rather have you do a legal transfer today on that firearm rather than the firearm keep getting transfered unpapered forever.

ke6guj
11-23-2012, 6:25 PM
The original neighbor is gone. (Moved)doesn't matter. just have your friend take the firearm to your local FFL to do a PPT to you. $35 and you are done.

mlaines
11-23-2012, 7:59 PM
doesn't matter. just have your friend take the firearm to your local FFL to do a PPT to you. $35 and you are done.

Great! Have you done this before or know of someone that has? Just curious.

ke6guj
11-23-2012, 9:11 PM

I know FFLs on this forum that say that people do that exact thing all the time without issues. they are on the front lines and see plenty of PPTs. They'd know if a PPT was bounced because the seller wasn't the "registered" owner. Even for handguns where there is "registration", CADOJ doens't normally bounce a handgun PPT if the seller wasn't the person who it was last registered to. And with rifles, they aren't normally "registered" at all (unless it was a RAW) that they could even see if it didn't "belong" to the seller.

Librarian
11-23-2012, 9:16 PM
doesn't matter. just have your friend take the firearm to your local FFL to do a PPT to you. $35 and you are done.

I know FFLs on this forum that say that people do that exact thing all the time without issues. they are on the front lines and see plenty of PPTs. They'd know if a PPT was bounced because the seller wasn't the "registered" owner. Even for handguns where there is "registration", CADOJ doens't normally bounce a handgun PPT if the seller wasn't the person who it was last registered to. And with rifles, they aren't normally "registered" at all (unless it was a RAW) that they could even see if it didn't "belong" to the seller.

Since long guns are not registered until 2014, there is simply no way, today, for anyone to determine ownership of a long gun, unless it may have been reported stolen.

Do the PPT.

Robidouxs
11-24-2012, 1:31 PM
For the right price I could always use an AK parts kit.:44:

Ron-Solo
11-24-2012, 5:00 PM
Technically it's contraband, as it was illegally transferred without a DROS after 1991. You can sell it out of state as long as you ship it to an FFL. GunBroker is a good place to sell it. Use the funds to buy an AK or better yet make one yourself with a parts kit. You could also break it into a parts kit & destroy the receiver. Do you know that it's not stolen?

Epic Fail in so many ways.

Sorry

donny douchebag
11-24-2012, 5:14 PM
So many of his posts are.

loose_electron
11-24-2012, 8:18 PM

Should not be a problem to do the PPT -
Discount Gun Mart on Morena Blvd or any one of the other local FFL's
should be able to deal with it.

HelmandHunter
11-24-2012, 8:30 PM
Epic Fail in so many ways.

Sorry

hahahaha truth

Fate
11-26-2012, 9:06 PM
Just to confirm, the make/model is not a listed AW, right?

TRICKSTER
11-26-2012, 9:33 PM

Sorry, but :rofl2:

Theseus
11-26-2012, 9:54 PM
I immediately thought, "engraving"... Then I realized that he wanted the gun in his name, not his name in a gun. ..and yes, I read the whole thread, I just wanted to increase my post count. Been slacking being here in HK.

Sent via Note 2 Lte

RookieShooter
11-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Since long guns are not registered until 2014, there is simply no way, today, for anyone to determine ownership of a long gun, unless it may have been reported stolen.

Do the PPT.

How would you do the PPT if the original owner had moved away and can't be found? Just curious.

Librarian
11-27-2012, 12:34 AM
How would you do the PPT if the original owner had moved away and can't be found? Just curious.

You can't - thus the importance of doing the transfer correctly in the first place.

I've written several times that the laws are written with the idea that the penalty (here, a misdemeanor, potentially a year in jail) should motivate compliance; there is no 'blessed' recovery path for an innocent error.