PDA

View Full Version : quick noob question ...... buying first pistol

Trriemferent
11-23-2012, 5:39 PM
I hoping to buy my first pistol this weekend during the sales but I do not have my safety certificate yet. Do I need to have my safety certification prior to starting any paperwork/DROS or can i take the safety test during the 10 day waiting period?

REH
11-23-2012, 5:42 PM
You must first have the HSC to start the DROS. The dealer doing the DROS should have the test for the HSC,

zfields
11-23-2012, 5:44 PM
I hoping to buy my first pistol this weekend during the sales but I do not have my safety certificate yet. Do I need to have my safety certification prior to starting any paperwork/DROS or can i take the safety test during the 10 day waiting period?

I did mine when I did the initial DROS. Most dealers will be able to administer it.

SoCal Bob
11-23-2012, 5:52 PM
Make sure your ID has your current home address on it and that you take a second form of ID with the same address on it such as a car registration, utility bill, lease agreement, etc.

Eljay
11-23-2012, 7:06 PM
One thing that may not be obvious - it just takes a few minutes to take the test - it's more of a feel good thing + an excuse to collect some fees.

darmog
11-23-2012, 7:08 PM
Also make sure that the dealer you're going to, if that's where you're gonna take it and do DROS, actually has HSC cards to issue. Very rarely, but it happens, they run out. You don't wanna go all they way there just to turn around and find someplace else to take it if they did run out of cards.

Chaos47
11-23-2012, 7:11 PM
When you say you will purchase the firearm they will ask if you have an HSC and if you do not they will have you take the test right then in there. They will also ask for your 2 forms of ID.

It does not happen all the time but since the HSC tests have to be purchased ahead of time by the dealer they do sometimes run out of them. (Especially true of little shops, does not happen often at big chain stores but once and a while DOJ is slow on filling orders and it even happens to them)

It might not be a bad idea when you are getting helped looking at the pistol to mention that you do not have an HSC and will need to take the test.

Euphoria526
11-23-2012, 7:14 PM
I did mine when I did the initial DROS. Most dealers will be able to administer it.

Same. Took my test an bought my first pistol same day. They'll definitely help you get it to purchase the gun.

IVC
11-23-2012, 7:22 PM
If you're primarily looking for a limited time deal, most dealers will let you put the money down and take care of the paperwork in a day or two (in case you can't start the DROS on that same day due to administrative issues).

myk
11-23-2012, 8:21 PM
Ha ha yeah, I got the LAST HSC certificate at Turner's when I took my 'exam, so maybe you should call in advance just to make sure. 'OP, have you thought about what gun you're going to get?