PDA

View Full Version : Slungshots, sword canes and Shobi-zues

galileo415
07-30-2007, 4:18 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/column/knife-shobi-zue-1784977-cane-case

My Register colleague Rachanee Srisavasdi had an interesting article about pocket knives in last Sunday's paper. The gist of it was that there's a lot of confusion among the general public and even among law enforcement agencies as to what kinds of pocket knives are legal to carry and what kinds are illegal switchblades.

But while it was beyond the scope of Rachanee's story, the fact is that there is a whole host of other potential weapons that are illegal to possess in California some of which you've probably never even heard of.

Consider, for example, a slungshot.

No, I don't mean a "slingshot," which is a completely different thing. A "slungshot" is an improvised weapon featuring a weight or "shot" attached to the end of a short cord tied around the user's wrist, the weight being hurled at a victim's face or head in a yo-yo fashion. Slungshots were popular among urban street thugs in the 19th century, but they fell out of fashion about a hundred years ago.

Nevertheless, California Penal Code Section 12020 still specifically states that you aren't allowed to have a slungshot and if you do, even in the sanctity of your own home, you're committing a misdemeanor or even a potential felony.

And that's not all. Section 12020 also prohibits the manufacture, importation, sale or possession of "any cane gun or wallet gun any nunchaku, any short-barreled shotgun, any short-barreled rifle, any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken" also known as "throwing stars" "any unconventional pistol, any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice hand grenade or metal replica grenade, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy, sandclub, sap or sandbag."

Wow! That's a lot of stuff we aren't allowed to have.

Sure, some of it makes sense. Zip guns or cane guns or wallet guns (which the section defines as "any firearm mounted or enclosed in a case, resembling a wallet") may not be advisable for people to own although when it comes to cane guns I'd make an exception for senior citizens who live in bad neighborhoods and might occasionally need to shoot some purse-snatching hoodlum. Same thing goes for sword canes and leaded canes, which are defined as "a staff, crutch, stick, rod, pole, or similar device, unnaturally weighted with lead."

And yes, there are some exceptions to the law. For example, licensed martial arts schools can possess nunchakus -- an Asian fighting instrument also known as "nunchuks" -- and security guards are allowed to have billy clubs if they have been trained and licensed. The rest of us, however, cannot, as rapper Snoop Dogg found out last year when he was arrested for allegedly carrying a telescoping police baton at John Wayne Airport. (His trial on weapons charges is pending.)

But a lot of the prohibitions seem archaic, or just plain silly. An air gauge knife? A lipstick case knife? A writing pen knife? How much more inherently dangerous can they be than, say, a perfectly legal hammer or baseball bat? And how many people even know what a "shobi-zue" is?

Actually, the Penal Code defines a shobi-zue as a stick, rod, pole, etc. with a concealed knife or blade attached. Two years ago an Orange County sheriff's deputy arrested an ex-con for carrying a concealed knife and a stick-mounted blade that prosecutors called a "shobi-zue spear," but which the ex-con insisted was a "gardening tool." The knife charge stuck, but the shobi-zue charge was dropped.

True, as that case indicates, having such a wide array of illegal weapons can be useful if not always successful -- in charging chronic criminals who are up to no good. But why should a law-abiding woman or a man, if he's so inclined not be allowed to carry for her own protection a tiny knife that can fit into a lipstick case?

Of course, I don't expect the state legislature to make the weapons laws more sensible. The boys in Sacramento are much too busy with legislation regulating trans fats in our food and making the Claim Jumper tell us exactly how many calories are in the meat loaf special to spend any time fixing a real problem.

So be careful. Study up on the weapons laws. Don't assume that that broken mop handle in your car trunk couldn't be mistaken for an illegal billy club.

And if you feel that you absolutely, positively have to have a slungshot, please keep it safely hidden.

Right next to your shobi-zue.

M. Sage
07-30-2007, 6:13 PM
Lol, you got me thinking "WTF is a shobi-zue?" I can't find it anywhere outside Cal Penal Code. Does this actually even exist? With the love geeks have for Asian-sounding martial arts weapons, especially edged ones, you'd think that the shobi-zue would have things said about it on the net.

I can't find any pictures of one through Google image search.

No mention on Wikipedia.

metalhead357
07-30-2007, 6:26 PM
Lol, you got me thinking "WTF is a shobi-zue?" I can't find it anywhere outside Cal Penal Code. Does this actually even exist? With the love geeks have for Asian-sounding martial arts weapons, especially edged ones, you'd think that the shobi-zue would have things said about it on the net.

No mention on Wikipedia.

IIRC then its basically a Kama.... but I've been wrong before:chris:

M. Sage
07-30-2007, 6:32 PM
Lol, a sickle? :rolleyes: Oooo scary.

Actually, my money is on them making up weapons.

galileo415
07-30-2007, 6:39 PM

No mention on Wikipedia.

you can see them at chinatown, its a tube that when you pull it in half theres a blade on each side, the one i saw was a light saber looking thing

FreshTapCoke
07-30-2007, 6:40 PM
Here's what I could come up with from the last time this topic came up:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=220756&postcount=19

RudyN
07-30-2007, 8:09 PM
I still have my Nunchakus and Tonfas from I was taking Karate. They can cause a bit of pain if you hit someone with them or if you hit yourself when practicing and don't watch what you are doing :(. I enjoyed using them and wish I could have kept on going after I got my black belt.

CCWFacts
07-30-2007, 10:13 PM
A quick Google reveals that they are trying to say shinobi-zue which seems to mean a Ninja cane with a weapon inside. Sort of a Ninja sword-cane or spear-cane. All I know about Ninjas is what I learned from this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=qDSGmx8c2AM which is not much information really.

socalguns
07-31-2007, 12:27 AM
a images.google for shobi-zue returns "grammaton76's Avatar
80 x 80 - 2k"

ibanezfoo
07-31-2007, 11:05 AM
Sure, some of it makes sense...

No, none of it makes any sense. Those are all "arms" and we have the right to bear them.

-Bryan

PeteyG
07-31-2007, 11:21 AM
Here's what I could come up with from the last time this topic came up:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=220756&postcount=19

Yeah I thought this topic had come before. LOL