PDA

View Full Version : First 1911: RIA Tactical Range reports on post #34 & 45

MalC
11-23-2012, 3:00 PM
It's a RIA Tactical in .45acp. I haven't been this giddy since I was 10 years old on Christmas morning! Here she is:

http://oi48.tinypic.com/21iq1.jpg

It's covered in the grease it shipped in so I'm going to spend the afternoon cleaning it in mineral spirits and lubing it up with Frog Lube. Range trip will commence tomorrow (hopefully) or Sunday, I'll give a range report ASAP.

The trigger on this RIA is amazing... compared to the high-end 1911s it might not be top of the line, but I'm used to shooting Glocks and other striker fired guns, and this thing is absolute sweetness by comparison. The feed ramp is polished from the factory, which I didn't know and is a nice touch. The rollmark has been changed from the REALLY ugly white one to a more subtle colored version, which I'm happy about.

I've drooled over 1911s since I was a little kid, I'm ecstatic!! :D:D:D

EDIT: Field stripped and scrubbed with mineral spirits:
http://oi50.tinypic.com/dynls4.jpg

After doing the first frog lube treatment:
http://oi50.tinypic.com/xx6yh.jpg

http://oi47.tinypic.com/25jieqe.jpg

pisarski
11-23-2012, 3:05 PM
keep it lubed and it should last a long time they are a blast to shoot have fun with it

bsg
11-23-2012, 3:08 PM
congrats.

MalC
11-23-2012, 3:18 PM
Does anyone make an aftermarket slide stop similar to the one on those Norwegian/Nazi 1911s? To me that seems like the more natural place to put it.

Like this:
http://www.coltautos.com/images/1914a.jpg

InGrAM
11-23-2012, 9:09 PM
^ it is not more natural if you hold the 1911 as it should be held with your thumb riding on the top of the safety.

redcliff
11-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Does anyone make an aftermarket slide stop similar to the one on those Norwegian/Nazi 1911s? To me that seems like the more natural place to put it.

Like this:
http://www.coltautos.com/images/1914a.jpg

People coming from other platforms often think that 1911's need extended slide stops because they don't know how to run a 1911 properly yet.

Operating the standard slide stop with your support hand thumb after a magazine change if needed is faster and more efficient than any extended slide stop. In addition, extended slide stops can cause premature slide lock for a couple of reasons.

And to answer your question more directly, no I've not seen a slide stop like that except on Norwegian 1911's.

MalC
11-23-2012, 11:40 PM
People coming from other platforms often think that 1911's need extended slide stops because they don't know how to run a 1911 properly yet.

Operating the standard slide stop with your support hand thumb after a magazine change if needed is faster and more efficient than any extended slide stop. In addition, extended slide stops can cause premature slide lock for a couple of reasons.

And to answer your question more directly, no I've not seen a slide stop like that except on Norwegian 1911's.

Ahhh I see what you're saying, that's much more comfortable. Thanks

ChaneRZ
11-24-2012, 12:15 AM
congrats!

Tubbie
11-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Congrats on your new baby. Happy shooting!

D_ninja
11-24-2012, 12:18 AM
Congrats! I love my Rock too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverbullett
11-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Congrats!!! I'm picking my first RIA 1911 on monday. I can't wait.

shalang
11-24-2012, 12:27 AM
Congratulations! I picked up my RIA 1911 GI last week from Turners for $399 ($471 after DROS and Tax). If you don't mind me asking, how much was your tactical and where did you buy it? Reason I am asking is because I just bought several parts for my 1911, including beavertail, trigger and new hammer.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
11-24-2012, 12:49 AM
Congrats! A RIA tactical was my first 1911 too and I'm really glade I bought it. So far, I've never had ANY issues. I hope you enjoy yours!

MalC
11-24-2012, 12:50 AM
Congratulations! I picked up my RIA 1911 GI last week from Turners for $399 ($471 after DROS and Tax). If you don't mind me asking, how much was your tactical and where did you buy it? Reason I am asking is because I just bought several parts for my 1911, including beavertail, trigger and new hammer.

$399 for a GI at a LGS is a great price, I wish we had Turners up here. Wonder what they charge for the Tactical?

I got mine from http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/ for $489 ($550 OTD), he is local to me so I didn't have to pay for shipping or an extra FFL transfer fee. It was the best deal I could find in Sac by far, one place I called wanted $599 for one!!!

I love this trigger, when I dry fire the sights don't move AT ALL (and I know my trigger control isn't that good lol). Congrats on your GI, how much did you spend on the parts?

cebuvfr
11-24-2012, 12:59 AM
Congrats!

OMGofWar
11-24-2012, 12:59 AM
congrats! my RIA compact was my first 1911 and is still fun to shoot. i'm sure you're gonna love yours!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/audi9k/May%202011%20collection/RIA_1911c_002-900.jpg

shalang
11-24-2012, 1:01 AM
That sounds just about the right price that others where telling me. Only problem is that many retailers don't want to sell it at that price. Similarly with the GI model, it should be no higher than $399 but most retailers out here in Southern CA that I have been to sell it for $479, $10 cheaper than your tactical!

What I usually do is check Budsgunshop and see how much they are selling the guns there and use it as a base. I then see how close the retailers here sell there guns for. If only I lived in Kentucky...

Good thing you picked it up when you did because it seems they are out of stock now :)

If you are looking to get parts for your 1911, I'd recommend MidwayUSA. They have a promotion for $15 off orders over $100 with the code AR151115. It expires on the 30th. Their prices were a lot better than Brownells and rivaled that of cheaperthandirt. Also, their S&H was ridiculously cheap at less than $5.

Pachmayr American Legend Grip @ $28.99
Wilson Combat Value Line Speed Hammer 1911 Blue @ $28.99
Wilson Combat Value Line Sear 1911 @ $15.49
Ed Brown Videki National Match Trigger 1911 Aluminum Silver @ $21.99
Wilson Combat High-Ride Beavertail Grip Safety Semi Drop-In 1911 @ $37.99
Wilson Combat Bullet Proof Sear Spring 1911 @ $5.99

Total: $130 shipped (with $15 off promo)

MalC
11-24-2012, 1:04 AM
It seems sometimes the Tactical has a plastic mainspring housing and sometimes it's metal... is there any reason I would want a metal one? Mine is plastic, does that affect the gun in any way (including longevity)?

protoolsnerd
11-24-2012, 1:08 AM
A lot of higher end 1911s have plastic mainspring housings. It does not effect performance at all .

My Sti trojan has it . I compete with that gun all the time and it is incredibly reliable . It reduces the weight a little too. I was wary at first but i've found no obvious difference apart from the weight

Rey HRH
11-24-2012, 1:10 AM
nice 1911. nice looking finish. congrats.

MalC
11-24-2012, 1:15 AM
That sounds just about the right price that others where telling me. Only problem is that many retailers don't want to sell it at that price. Similarly with the GI model, it should be no higher than $399 but most retailers out here in Southern CA that I have been to sell it for $479, $10 cheaper than your tactical!

What I usually do is check Budsgunshop and see how much they are selling the guns there and use it as a base. I then see how close the retailers here sell there guns for. If only I lived in Kentucky...

Good thing you picked it up when you did because it seems they are out of stock now :)

If you are looking to get parts for your 1911, I'd recommend MidwayUSA. They have a promotion for $15 off orders over $100 with the code AR151115. It expires on the 30th. Their prices were a lot better than Brownells and rivaled that of cheaperthandirt. Also, their S&H was ridiculously cheap at less than $5.

Pachmayr American Legend Grip @ $28.99
Wilson Combat Value Line Speed Hammer 1911 Blue @ $28.99
Wilson Combat Value Line Sear 1911 @ $15.49
Ed Brown Videki National Match Trigger 1911 Aluminum Silver @ $21.99
Wilson Combat High-Ride Beavertail Grip Safety Semi Drop-In 1911 @ $37.99
Wilson Combat Bullet Proof Sear Spring 1911 @ $5.99

Total: $130 shipped (with $15 off promo)

Yeah I had emailed Robby at GST to ask a few questions, and he told me he had 3 left. A couple days later (just after the election) he emailed me and said he was down to two. I swiftly reserved one of them and by the time I came in to start the DROS someone had already bought the last one!

Did you fit and install all those parts yourself, or pay a gunsmith? Also did your GI come with a polished feed ramp (on the frame and barrel) from the factory? I'd love to see a pic of your GI with the grips/beavertail/hammer/trigger changes. Do you use the factory mag or did you buy some CMC/WM mags? I'm unsure what mags to buy, but I like it when they sit flush with the magwell.

I'm not partial to the hybrid wood/rubber grips but I love the look of those rubber finger grooves that slip underneath the regular grips, is Pearce the only manufacturer of those? I'd like to get some in addition to some new checkered wood grips (or maybe custom engraved grips).

EDIT: I also noticed that while there isn't checkering on the front strap, there are vertical lines cut into it. I thought it was going to be smooth so I'm happy about that too!

shalang
11-24-2012, 2:01 AM
Yeah I had emailed Robby at GST to ask a few questions, and he told me he had 3 left. A couple days later (just after the election) he emailed me and said he was down to two. I swiftly reserved one of them and by the time I came in to start the DROS someone had already bought the last one!

Did you fit and install all those parts yourself, or pay a gunsmith? Also did your GI come with a polished feed ramp (on the frame and barrel) from the factory? I'd love to see a pic of your GI with the grips/beavertail/hammer/trigger changes. Do you use the factory mag or did you buy some CMC/WM mags? I'm unsure what mags to buy, but I like it when they sit flush with the magwell.

I'm not partial to the hybrid wood/rubber grips but I love the look of those rubber finger grooves that slip underneath the regular grips, is Pearce the only manufacturer of those? I'd like to get some in addition to some new checkered wood grips (or maybe custom engraved grips).

EDIT: I also noticed that while there isn't checkering on the front strap, there are vertical lines cut into it. I thought it was going to be smooth so I'm happy about that too!

I actually just ordered the parts today. It won't come in until the 4th. However, I based the compatibility of the parts based off of someone else's upgrade:
http://www.ksccw.com/showthread.php?t=17700

He states that they are all drop-in. The only piece that needs gunsmithing is the sear (which he didn't put in, he just used the factory part). Therefore you can do it all yourself.

I don't believe the feed ramps are polished. Haven't field stripped it yet but more than likely it isn't. I plan on following this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yahzMTOO34

For magazines, I just picked up two 8-round Kimber Kim-pro Tacmag for $36 OTD at Turners. It was on sale for Black Friday. Each was $16, discounted from the regular $25.

I would recommend the Kimber magazines. Has a very solid feel and is well respected as with other Kimber related products. The product line that I mentioned comes with 3 additional floor pads that you can screw onto the base floor plating. One thing you may not like, however, is that the base floor plating is silver and will therefore be slightly noticeable when the cartridge in your magwell.

Here is a good picture of the Kimber Kim-pro Tacmag and the American Legends grip:

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/rendalltx/1911/DSC02003.jpg

The American Legends grip does not go over the factory grip. It comes all together. You can also see what I am talking about regarding the base plating with the Kimber. That's the larger floor pad. There's a smaller one as well that you can interchange it with.

When I get the parts I will take a picture of it.

MalC
11-24-2012, 2:11 AM
That pic reminds me, I'm going to get some new grips screws too (SS).

Those grips do look nice, what kind of wood is that? I like the reddish color, is that natural or do you think they're stained?

shalang
11-24-2012, 2:20 AM
That pic reminds me, I'm going to get some new grips screws too (SS).

Those grips do look nice, what kind of wood is that? I like the reddish color, is that natural or do you think they're stained?

It says it is a "Walnut finish" so I am thinking that it is not real wood. I'm getting it mainly for the aesthetics (the medallion in the medal). Reviews say that it feels like real wood however.

If I'm not mistaken, Pearce offers a rubber finger groove that allows you to use your own wood grips over it.

MalC
11-24-2012, 2:28 AM
It says it is a "Walnut finish" so I am thinking that it is not real wood. I'm getting it mainly for the aesthetics (the medallion in the medal). Reviews say that it feels like real wood however.

If I'm not mistaken, Pearce offers a rubber finger groove that allows you to use your own wood grips over it.

Yep, I just ordered some of the Pearce finger grooves for $17 shipped. I'll see how it feels and looks with the factory grips before I buy new checkered ones. The factory grips look nice but I want to try something a little thinner that has more traction since my hands can get sweaty in the Sac heat.

redcliff
11-24-2012, 9:36 AM
The RIA tactical is the model I recommend for new 1911 shooters on a budget. It has a decently fitted beavertail grip safety, good sights and flared/lowerred ejection port along with a decent trigger. For the price difference between the g.i. model and the tactical you can't buy and install the parts properly; drop-in grip safetys don't fit as nicely.

For those contemplating parts changes often the new parts will require some fitting. Be sure to run the 1911 safety checks anytime you work on or replace parts in your 1911.

While my dislike for finger-groove grips is well known to some of the older forum members, some people do actually like them. I guess theres no accounting for taste. I prefer to keep spare tires in my car's trunk however and enjoy the ergonomics designed into the pistol.

polo.45
11-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Great gun! Congrats .... Get a new recoil spring for it ... I like kimbers but ofter shooting my friends RIA I Want one!!! The only thing bad was the recoil spring. Shake it you'll hear a rattle noise... Is the spring then put the new one shake it again.... Gone!!!
:D

den888
11-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Congrats!

gds23
11-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Those are some nice pieces, I just got my first 1911 about 2 weeks ago as well and fell in love with it after the first shot left the barrel.

MalC
11-24-2012, 1:01 PM
While my dislike for finger-groove grips is well known to some of the older forum members, some people do actually like them. I guess theres no accounting for taste. I prefer to keep spare tires in my car's trunk however and enjoy the ergonomics designed into the pistol.

I figured that for less that $20 I might as well try them out... I'm a little worried that I won't have enough traction with those smooth grips my 1911 came with. If the finger grooves don't improve my speed on follow-up shots then I'll take them off and probably switch to regular checkered wood grips.

Great gun! Congrats .... Get a new recoil spring for it ... I like kimbers but ofter shooting my friends RIA I Want one!!! The only thing bad was the recoil spring. Shake it you'll hear a rattle noise... Is the spring then put the new one shake it again.... Gone!!!
:D

Hmmm, my RIA is dead quiet when I shake it. Did you just replace yours to fix the rattle, or does it make the action smoother or feed better? What brand and how much tension does it have compared to the stock spring? I don't want to change anything that will affect function until I have at least a few hundred rounds through mine, but I was thinking of ordering some extra springs just to have on hand. What are some other wear and tear parts other than the recoil spring?

Rorge Retson
11-24-2012, 4:39 PM
I may have to get myself one of these....

Fishslayer
11-24-2012, 5:28 PM
I got mine from http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/ for $489 ($550 OTD), he is local to me so I didn't have to pay for shipping or an extra FFL transfer fee. It was the best deal I could find in Sac by far, one place I called wanted $599 for one!!!

I love this trigger, when I dry fire the sights don't move AT ALL (and I know my trigger control isn't that good lol). Congrats on your GI, how much did you spend on the parts?

I think I saw one on the WTS for a mere $700 but it might have come with an extra magazine...:rolleyes:

You'll never mention "(Insert striker fired pistol name here)" and "good trigger" ever again. ;)

polo.45
11-24-2012, 6:01 PM
I figured that for less that $20 I might as well try them out... I'm a little worried that I won't have enough traction with those smooth grips my 1911 came with. If the finger grooves don't improve my speed on follow-up shots then I'll take them off and probably switch to regular checkered wood grips.

Hmmm, my RIA is dead quiet when I shake it. Did you just replace yours to fix the rattle, or does it make the action smoother or feed better? What brand and how much tension does it have compared to the stock spring? I don't want to change anything that will affect function until I have at least a few hundred rounds through mine, but I was thinking of ordering some extra springs just to have on hand. What are some other wear and tear parts other than the recoil spring?
Is my friends RIA .he put Wilson combat springs .. His RIA .38 super stainless polish.. Or Crome ...not familiar with rock island .

MalC
11-24-2012, 10:25 PM
I went to the range today and shot 150 rounds (Blazer Brass and Federal), no extraction issues but I did have one FTF on the last round of one of the mags. The brass had a little gouge on the rim, it looks like the extractor didn't pick it up out of the mag but tried to slip over the case rim after it chambered. Not sure what would cause that (extractor tension problem?), but the pistol isn't broken in yet so I'm optimistic.

I shot at 7 and 10 yards, here is one of the targets:

http://oi46.tinypic.com/358o0le.jpg

The bottom group was at 7 yards, the top one was at 10. For the bottom one I was aiming at the "8," for the top I was aiming for the middle of the head (about where the crease is). It shot a couple inches to the left, but that very well could've been my fault so I'll practice more and have other people shoot it before messing with the sights. I'm no sharpshooter but I was pleased with how I did for my first range trip. I'll be taking a NRA Basic Pistol course soon to get some pointers on my technique.

Boy that safety sure is sharp!! I had my strong side thumb on top of the safety and it rubbed the bottom/inside of my thumb a little raw, didn't break the skin or anything though so I can tough it out :D

It was a little difficult to pick up the black front sight against a black background so I'm thinking of getting a FO front sight from Dawson Precision, or maybe just some sight paint. Anyone tried these: http://www.nitesiters.com/Nitesiters_Handgun_Night_Sights.html ? For ten bucks I figure they're worth a shot, especially considering I don't know of any manufacturers that make night sights for RIA's strange Novak-style cuts.

One more thing: I noticed a lot of the ejected brass had a little scratch or dent on the side of the case.
http://oi45.tinypic.com/ddm1pk.jpg

At first I was worried there was a burr in the chamber or something, but I figured the brass wouldn't feed/extract if that was the case. I also noticed some of the dents are in different places on the brass (see the difference between the middle two cases), is this a normal side effect from being ejected?

Anyways, I had a blast at the range, now it's time to field strip and clean her up!

MA2
11-24-2012, 11:54 PM
No worries on the dented brass. Not ideal, but you can put that under normal.
It's probably tapping the ejection port, check if you have brass mark there.
You can mess with spring, extractor if you like, but I would just clean and send some more rounds thru.

Congrats!, can't stand those smooth grips...VZ has 25% off this weekend, use code "BLACK25" only good for black grips though :-|

MalC
11-25-2012, 12:09 AM
No worries on the dented brass. Not ideal, but you can put that under normal.
It's probably tapping the ejection port, check if you have brass mark there.
You can mess with spring, extractor if you like, but I would just clean and send some more rounds thru.

Congrats!, can't stand those smooth grips...VZ has 25% off this weekend, use code "BLACK25" only good for black grips though :-|

That's good news, I was worried for a minute that I'd have to send it back to Armscor to have work done. I just cleaned it pretty thoroughly so if there were brass marks, they're gone now but I'll check next time I shoot. I was gonna save the brass in case I decide to start reloading in the future, but since they had that dent I just left em for the range.

I do like the look of the smooth grips, but I'm gonna get some checkered ones soon. I didn't feel like the pistol was slipping in my hands at all but I want checkered grips for the spring/summer when my hands get sweaty outdoors. I don't really like the black grips, I prefer reddish wood so I think I'll look for some walnut or rosewood grips. Thanks for easing my worries!

redcliff
11-25-2012, 3:46 AM
Nice shooting and good range report. If your safety is too sharp someplace break the edge with an arkansas stone or small file (after removing the safety) and touch up the shiny spots with a cold blue pen. Not perfect, but cheap.

Last round failure to feeds are almost always magazine related. The magazine spring has low compression with only one round in it, and if too weak can allow the round to come forward too soon due to the slide recoiling to its rearmost position; the pistol virtually recoils out from underneath the round which remains almost stationary due to inertia. Hence the term "inertial feed" used when describing the problem. The round now is in front of the extractor when the breachface comes forward and can cause jams.

New magazine springs, heavier recoil springs and always avoid oiling your magazines can help if you keep having the problem. While there are a lot of good magazines for 1911's, I feel the Tripp Research Cobra mags are of the highest quality and prefer them for several reasons over any others and I've used about all of them over the years (38) of 1911 shooting.

While I'm off on a tangent, be sure to lubricate the slide/frame rails, bottom of the slide where the disconnector/hammer ride, barrel to bushing interface and the often overlooked top of the barrel at the front edge of the ejection port. The barrel will often rub the slide there especially during break-in as evidenced by a "scuff mark" typically seen there. Putting some lube there with the slide closed and pistol pointing down then working the slide repeatedly can also get lube into the locking lugs on top of the barrel and help with that area during break-in/polishing also. I lubricate these spots when I get to the range if my pistol has been sitting any length of time since it's last cleaning/lubing as they can all be done without field stripping in a matter of moments.

XDJYo
11-25-2012, 7:28 AM
Yes! Very good shooting! Congratz on the 1911. As for the front sights, although my Springfield came with the typical 3 dot sights, they tend to get washed out at outdoor ranges. So, I've got some glow in the dark paint coming. I like the link you provided though too! If my paint idea doesn't work out, I may try those out.

Redcliff-as always, very informative! Thanks for all your tips and pointers!

MalC
11-25-2012, 2:12 PM
Thanks, redcliff. I'm glad my only malfunction was magazine related, I need some more mags anyways! Do you use just the 7 and 8 rounders, or do you like the Tripp Research 10rd Cobra mags too? Can you elaborate as to why you prefer those over Kimber/CMC/WC or other popular mags?

redcliff
11-25-2012, 3:08 PM
Thanks, redcliff. I'm glad my only malfunction was magazine related, I need some more mags anyways! Do you use just the 7 and 8 rounders, or do you like the Tripp Research 10rd Cobra mags too? Can you elaborate as to why you prefer those over Kimber/CMC/WC or other popular mags?

I should preface this by saying that some people have strong feelings about certain magazines and if they work for you, use what you like. I don't really want everyone coming after me with torches and pitchforks.

I use the Tripp Research 8 round 8R-45-RG magazines for my full length grip frame 1911's. The Chip McCormick Power Mag+ is also an excellent magazine and a bit shorter for concealment on non magwell pistols, but only the Power Mag+ followers (not the standard Power Mag) are safe for alloy framed 1911's. As I have both type frames I only get magazines that can work in both.

My preference for Cobra Mags over the Power Mag+ is based upon preference for the follower design and I actually like the slightly longer magazine tube for spring life and it's finish. But both are excellent and I take no issue with those that prefer the Power Mag+. I will say that the Cobra Mag sits a bit higher in the frame than most others, so it pays to check that the pistols ejector allows clearance for the top round. This can be done when the pistol is field stripped with the slide removed by inserting a loaded magazine into the frame and visually inspecting for clearance. The higher magazine feed position seems to help ensure trouble free feeding but in rare cases you may need to file a little ejector clearance.

I like the follower and skirt design on the Cobra Mags as it's safe for both aluminum and steel framed 1911's and the skirt gives more durability than the nylon followers on the Wilson ETM's imho and I've had the ETM mag springs fail much quicker than expected which I find disappointing given Wilson's excellent reputation in most things 1911. The Cobra Mag has stronger springs than most of the competitiors and unlike the Wilson 47D (which was a good magazine for its day, but it's day has long passed) the magazine tube is actually the correct length to allow a proper spring with 8 round capacity. The Cobra Mag's magazine tube is extremely well constructed and finished. I have some with the alloy base bad and although not necesary it's impressively machined.

I see no need for 7 round magazines for full size 1911's when such high quality 8 rounders are availble. I do not like 10 round magazines as I feel they negatively impact the size and handling of the pistol, but some people like them. They can be somewhat prone to malfunctions from feed angle problems on the first round, accelerated spring wear and feed lip spreading; again the Tripp and Chip McCormick 10 rounders are probably the best of the breed.

wsmc27
11-25-2012, 3:51 PM
OP, congrats on the 1911 and range report. :)

Is it specific black grips? Just tried a couple different black sets and getting "Coupon code "BLACK25" is not valid." message.

Thought I might grab something there. :D

MalC
11-25-2012, 4:30 PM
I'll definitely try out one of the 8rd Cobra mags, thanks. What about the Wilson 47 (7 round) mags? I like the look of the mags that seat flush with the magwell, but I don't want to use the 47d or other mags that are the same size as the 7 rounders if the springs will wear out faster.

MA2
11-25-2012, 4:52 PM
^Wilson also makes replacement spring and follower.
I re-build mine because the plastic follower works great.
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Replacement-Springs-_-Followers/products/57/

Is it specific black grips? Just tried a couple different black sets and getting "Coupon code "BLACK25" is not valid." message.

Thought I might grab something there. :D

Unfortunately, completely black only, so black desert is a no go :-|

MalC
11-25-2012, 5:48 PM
Is it easy to find 1911 owners to trade mags with if one of the brands doesn't work well in my RIA? Assuming they're the popular higher-end mags like CMC or Wilsons

MalC
12-07-2012, 9:58 PM
Added some cheap Pearce finger grooves and took her to the range tonight, shot 100rds of Federal 230gr fmj and had no malfunctions. I let someone at the range take a shot and it stovepiped, but I'm assuming that was him limpwristing because I've not had a stovepipe yet in 350rds and it looked like he was new to shooting pistols.

I shot at 7 and 10 yards, dry firing 4-5 times then firing 3rds and repeating. I didn't have any inertial feeds on the last round this time (using the same ACT mag), and I'm thinking the first one happened because I oiled the mag when I first got the pistol. So far I'm at 350rds with just one malfunction that was either due to the mag itself or me oiling the mag. The brass is still hitting the ejection port on its way out and getting that dent, but I don't reload so I can live with that for now.

Here is a pic of the 10 yard target (~50rds):
http://oi49.tinypic.com/riyset.jpg

I'm shooting low and left, but I'm 99% sure it's me and not the gun. When I take my time and use a nice straight-back trigger pull while keeping my eye on the front sight, the bullets hit dead center. Other times I feel myself anticipating the trigger break, or my eyes want to focus on the target at the last second instead of the front sight, and I hit left or low/left.

I'm still getting used to gripping the 1911 high with my strong side thumb on top of the thumb safety, but it's starting to feel natural and the Pearce finger grooves are very comfortable. They look horrible at the moment since I haven't trimmed them yet, but I like how they alter the grip shape.

Still very happy with my RIA! I want to have Arnel tune it but I can't bear the thought of sending it away for a month+ :wub:

FUBAR
12-08-2012, 9:32 AM
Nice shooting. Don't oil the mags. Run them dry to avoid problems. A cheap alternative to VZ grips are the Ergo grips. They come in rubber or plastic. Sig uses them on their XO and TacOps models. I have a pair made from plastic and like them alot.

redcliff
12-08-2012, 11:01 AM
I always like range reports, glad things are working out so well for you on your RIA :)

I assume you're doubling up on ear protection (muffs and plugs) when shooting at an indoor range but if not that can help with the mental battle to reduce flinching. I find that short triggers on 1911's help counter my tendency to push left when pulling long triggers, but of course that is hand size dependant; but most people I let shoot my short trigger 1911's end up wanting a short trigger for their pistol so I think they work pretty good for average hand sizes.

MalC
12-08-2012, 2:11 PM
Nice shooting. Don't oil the mags. Run them dry to avoid problems. A cheap alternative to VZ grips are the Ergo grips. They come in rubber or plastic. Sig uses them on their XO and TacOps models. I have a pair made from plastic and like them alot.

Thanks, I'm ordering some of those Ergos right now... I still want thin checkered wood grips or VZs at some point but the Ergos seem like they'd be good for the range (provide a more grippy surface and won't scratch or dent).

Can't decide between the Black, OD Green, or Dark Earth! If I end up doing stainless accents (trigger, grip screws, barrel bushing, recoil spring plug) I think the black would look better, but I kinda want to try one of the colors. What do you guys think would look best with the RIA's dark finish? I'm leaning towards OD Green but haven't clicked the "checkout" button quite yet

terdog
12-08-2012, 3:27 PM
CORDOVA SHOOTING CENTER has prices within $1 of GOLDEN STATE TACTICAL. If 1 doesnt have what you want, the other might. I personally have used Cordova and give them good marks.

chozenfew805
12-08-2012, 5:18 PM
Congrats!

Rock_Islander
12-09-2012, 4:11 PM
Rock Islands are SOLID SHOOTERS, so says I, the Rock Islander!

Can you tell how much of a loyalist I am? lol :P