PDA

View Full Version : What's your best upgrade to your Glock 23 ???

trooper357
11-23-2012, 12:21 PM
I have been doing some research and reading on Glocks. I read some problems with the stock barrel especially re-loads. Also some discussion on the Gen4 recoil spring defects. I also notice some buying wrap around grips. Right now I am looking for a nice leather paddle holster but I got interested in all the other stuff you can do to upgrade. Tell me what you have and why? I know there are some big fish stories about barrels and re-loads but I won't be using reloads, just factory 180gr .40 S&W non-hollowpoints. So what good stuff is out there?

uhlan1
11-23-2012, 12:26 PM
My Glocks will throw anything. (all gen 3) Far less temperamental than my Sigs, CZ's Springfields et al.
Maybe a 3.5 connector and a stainless guide rod. Maybe some sights, factory sights aren't all that good imo. Don't need to do much.
Maybe a 9mm, conversion barrel. 9mm is a lot less and for 125 bucks you in essence now have a G19 too.

ElDub1950
11-23-2012, 1:20 PM
Except for replacing the sights (lots of choices, do your shopping), don't do anything else till you shoot it for awhile and find out what you might want.

A guide rod replacement is popular, but my G22 & G27 got picky with ammo after dropping in a steel one. The stock guide rods work perfectly.

I do have a 9mm Lonewolf conversion on my G23 and it's flawless. I seen complaints that other brands work better with a replaced extractor but not needed with the Lonewolf so do your research.

I like the stock trigger just fine. Shoot a couple thousand rounds before you get into too many mods .. most are useless IMHO

BamBam-31
11-23-2012, 1:30 PM
If all you're shooting are new factory loads with jacketed bullets (doesn't matter if it's hollowpoint or not), you don't really have to worry about the OEM barrel. The only time you really need to pay any attention is if you're shooting lead bullets (non-jacketed) or you're reloading your own ammo. Lots of people do both with their Glocks with no problems whatsoever--you just need to know what you're doing.

As for upgrades, I'd ditch plastic OEM Glocks immediately. If yours came with steel night sights, you're set. If not, buy a set of good steel sights. Warren, Heinie, Dawson, Trijicons, Mepros, there are lots to choose from (night sights, plain, fiber optic). Maybe Highlander51 will post his handy-dandy side-by-side pic of various sights. The stock trigger pull is a bit heavy for my taste, so I'd at least do a 3.5# connector with the $0.25 trigger job (basically a polishing of the trigger bar and connector). Not necessary, but it makes shooting the pistol more pleasant. I'd also consider some type of grip enhancement like Tru-Grip or plain ol' stair tape. Makes holding onto the pistol much easier, especially during rapid fire.

Other than that, buy more mags and ammo. In the end, the three best accessories for Glocks are practice, practice, and practice.

bsg
11-23-2012, 2:46 PM
consider swapping out the sights for defensive duty and you're gtg.

Kramer Handgun Leather makes a paddle holster you may be interested in. the "MSP Paddle Gun Holster" features a removable snap closure belt loop that serves as a backup for holster retention when you're wearing a belt. the price isn't cheap, nor is the quality of the holster.

www.kramerleather.com/ (http://www.kramerleather.com/)

hermosabeach
11-23-2012, 2:48 PM
Replace the sights to ones made of steel

Other than that- use the other money for a good holster, ammo and formal training classes if it will be a self defense firearm

trooper357
11-23-2012, 3:00 PM
consider swapping out the sights for defensive duty and you're gtg.

Kramer Handgun Leather makes a paddle holster you may be interested in. the "MSP Paddle Gun Holster" features a removable snap closure belt loop that serves as a backup for holster retention when you're wearing a belt. the price isn't cheap, nor is the quality of the holster.

www.kramerleather.com/ (http://www.kramerleather.com/)

Yep, just a little more than I want to spend on a holster. I would like to keep it under $100 if possible.

missiontrails
11-23-2012, 3:08 PM
Ghost 3.5lb connector, COMBINED with removal of OEM firing pin safety plunger, recontour and polishing of that plunger (made the profile smooth and round on the edges, without removing material from the top contact surface).

Oceanbob
11-23-2012, 3:34 PM
Don't buy a single thing until you run 500 rounds thru the weapon. By then you will know what works for you.

Glocks are good to go right out of the box.

:D

bsg
11-23-2012, 3:34 PM
Yep, just a little more than I want to spend on a holster. I would like to keep it under $100 if possible.

there are many good quality holsters for under $100.00, but also consider the secondary market; i've done especially well from the online auctions. some amount of patience and tenacity may be required to find 'that' deal.

Raider888
11-23-2012, 5:28 PM
Bone stock, no upgrade needed...Flawless.

Uxi
11-23-2012, 5:32 PM
plug.

jk. But really don't think Glocks need (m)any mods. night sights or an X300 if you don't have 'em.

Red Devil
11-23-2012, 5:56 PM
Grease it and shoot it.

G23's need to be sorted out at the range.

When you can shoot the 2" center out of a 10 yard target w/ range reloads? (and a Glock can do it easy)

Then, think about messin' w/ Perfection.

XVIga_Rob
11-23-2012, 6:05 PM
3.5lb connector.....And finally, a For Sale sign!!

trooper357
11-23-2012, 8:24 PM
3.5lb connector.....And finally, a For Sale sign!!

What is a 3.5lb connector?

Lovin
11-23-2012, 8:33 PM
Shoot it a lot. Best mod ever.

SB1964
11-23-2012, 8:35 PM
Tungsten Guide Rod

five.five-six
11-23-2012, 8:38 PM
Reload this Page What's your best upgrade to your Glock 23 ???

1911 Duh!

newguy83
11-23-2012, 9:42 PM
Tungsten Guide Rod

what does this do?

BamBam-31
11-23-2012, 9:47 PM
What is a 3.5lb connector?

It's a drop in part that lightens your trigger pull.

BamBam-31
11-23-2012, 9:54 PM
what does this do?

In theory, it adds weight to the front end of the pistol, thereby reducing muzzle flip and speeding up follow-up shots. In practice, a tungsten guide rod might make a slight difference with the long slides (34, 35), but nothing beats a proper grip for reducing muzzle flip.

SB1964
11-23-2012, 10:09 PM
More than theory or a sales pitch. I`ve shot stock 23`s & the Guide rod makes a difference. Less Recoil, smoother cycling. The stock plastic Recoil springs squeak, I`ve replaced them on every Glock I`ve owned.

NYT
11-23-2012, 10:22 PM
glockworx fulcrum kit bar none the best addition imho

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

HighLander51
11-24-2012, 4:10 AM
Besides practicing the fundamentals of shooting, I put on the G21 mag release, 3.5lb connector, and either night sights for carry, or fiber optic for competition.

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image35447.jpg

I almost never do anything for cosmetics, but this one is special.

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image36018.jpg

Nynvolt
11-24-2012, 4:19 AM
Bicycle inner tube for the grip, possibly an extended slide stop lever and sights if you have the plastic stock set. Doesn't "need" anything really other than more traction grip.

If you shoot non-jacketed rounds then you'll need a traditionally rifled barrel. The newer glocks have just as much support in the chamber as any other mass produced semi-auto pistols.

trooper357
11-24-2012, 7:05 AM
More than theory or a sales pitch. I`ve shot stock 23`s & the Guide rod makes a difference. Less Recoil, smoother cycling. The stock plastic Recoil springs squeak, I`ve replaced them on every Glock I`ve owned.

Did you go with a heavier spring rate?

4DMASTR
11-24-2012, 7:30 AM
My only mod is an extended mag release. As this is my "go to" firearm I don't feel the need to change much.

4DMASTR
11-24-2012, 7:31 AM
Oh, and I have put several hundred reloads down the pipe without a single issue.

Red Devil
11-24-2012, 7:35 AM
Stay away from all the boutique crap.

If you needed it, Gaston would have put it on at the factory.

The 3.5 lb. connector is for target range work, and accidental discharges when you have Five (5) seconds to not just engage, but stop a threat.

Tungsten guide rods add weight and are insignificant w/ 180 gr. ammo.

Boutique crap is why they still make the 1911. :D

You spec'ed a field defense pistol... that is what Gaston Glock designed.

Shoot it.
Shoot it some more.
Shoot it until you can shoot Two (2") inch five shot group CENTERS (not Left and a little Low) at Ten (10) yards.

SB1964
11-24-2012, 7:44 AM
Troop, Guide Rod has the standard spring Rate. Lot of good info here...I did a lot to my 23, Extended controls, slide lock/Mag Release/Slide release. I also got Trijicon Night sights (HD) & a 3.5 lb connector.

A Glock doesn`t "need" any of it. A Holster & lots of practice is prolly the best advice!

trooper357
11-24-2012, 8:20 AM
Troop, Guide Rod has the standard spring Rate. Lot of good info here...I did a lot to my 23, Extended controls, slide lock/Mag Release/Slide release. I also got Trijicon Night sights (HD) & a 3.5 lb connector.

A Glock doesn`t "need" any of it. A Holster & lots of practice is prolly the best advice!

Ok, if it's the standard spring rate, why would a metal rod be any different than the plastic rod other than marginal weight? I will be shooting 180gr metal jacketed flat points. Since I am only using the gun for protection in the woods, I will only be shooting the same ammo even during target practice.

zfields
11-24-2012, 8:23 AM
Lots of ammo, Talon grips, and different sights. A good holster sure doesn't hurt either!

I wouldnt mess with the other stuff until you shot it for a while.

gant
11-24-2012, 8:25 AM
g23 is my ccw firearm

i replaced the sights
put in a vickers extended mag release

and the rest is all on ammo

so far with over 500 rounds in the gun i think i want to stipple the frame

dingle_berry
11-24-2012, 8:43 AM
Best upgrade to my glock- a Front Sight 4 day training course for its shooter. She's not embarrassed to be at the range with me anymore :-)

supersonic
11-24-2012, 8:49 AM
Hogue Hand-All slip-on grip cover. Makes a world of difference. Another "must-have" is a Glock Factory extended Slide Catch. The stock "flat" ones have almost zero finger purchase because they are....well....flat!

BamBam-31
11-24-2012, 9:02 AM
Ok, if it's the standard spring rate, why would a metal rod be any different than the plastic rod other than marginal weight? I will be shooting 180gr metal jacketed flat points. Since I am only using the gun for protection in the woods, I will only be shooting the same ammo even during target practice.

Most of the people that use tungsten guide rods are gamers that like to tinker with their guns and ammo in the hopes of gaining speed. They shoot downloaded ammo, install tungsten rods with 15# or 13# springs (OEM is 17#), install extended controls, fiber optic sights, aftermarket trigger groups, etc. I've used all of the above myself (with varying degrees of success), and I'm here to say unequivocally: Practice is your best upgrade. There's no gizmo or gimmick that will impact your shooting as much as proper technique. Just look up Dave Segivny to see what a stock Glock can do.

missiontrails
11-24-2012, 9:02 AM

The 3.5 lb. connector is for target range work, and accidental discharges when you have Five (5) seconds to not just engage, but stop a threat.

Shoot it.
Shoot it some more.
Shoot it until you can shoot Two (2") inch five shot group CENTERS (not Left and a little Low) at Ten (10) yards.
If you leave everything else stock, the 3.5lb connector DOES NOT give you a 3.5lb pull, it will give you about a 4.5-4.75lb pull, still good for defense.

trooper357
11-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Most of the people that use tungsten guide rods are gamers that like to tinker with their guns and ammo in the hopes of gaining speed. They shoot downloaded ammo, install tungsten rods with 15# or 13# springs (OEM is 17#), install extended controls, fiber optic sights, aftermarket trigger groups, etc. I've used all of the above myself (with varying degrees of success), and I'm here to say unequivocally: Practice is your best upgrade. There's no gizmo or gimmick that will impact your shooting as much as proper technique. Just look up Dave Segivny to see what a stock Glock can do.

I would only change things to benefit my ability to shoot to defend myself against attacking animals. So if any mods would help with recoil, faster operation, better accuracy at close distance, I would be interested. I would want to get off as many shots as possible but also be able to hit my target. Yes, I plan on a lot of target practice even though it won't be moving. Practice makes perfect, including guns. :)

Oceanbob
11-24-2012, 10:10 AM
I would only change things to benefit my ability to shoot to defend myself against attacking animals. So if any mods would help with recoil, faster operation, better accuracy at close distance, I would be interested. I would want to get off as many shots as possible but also be able to hit my target. Yes, I plan on a lot of target practice even though it won't be moving. Practice makes perfect, including guns. :)

The Glock 23 isn't a race Gun; the Glock 35 can be. :D

I've seen aftermarket guide rods chew up the frames. I would spend money on bulk ammo and a couple of range sessions with a good Instructor. No gimmicks are needed. Money for ammo and practice (with good habits that your instructor teaches you) will be all you need.

den888
11-24-2012, 10:18 AM
I have a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel and a G19 magazine, which allows me to shoot both .40 and 9mm at the range.

Red Devil
11-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Dry-fire... lots.

A ~ 1/2" slide rack will reset the trigger.

- Practice Slooooooow trigger drills.
- Practice One (1) second drills from the low-ready position. (that's up/sight alignment/aim/fire)
- Practice Two (2) second drills from your carry holster.

Then practice them w/ live ammo.

Glocks, especially the .40's, need sortin' out.

Do Not Rely on gimmickry to offset marksmanship... it leads to equipment excuses, and ultimately failure - like Golf.

Glocks are accurate right out of the box. Dry-firing (and a little grease on the end of the connector) will smooth-out the trigger.

Shoot... lots.

ElDub1950
11-24-2012, 10:35 AM

Shoot it.
Shoot it some more.

^^ this is exactly right. Glock didn't get their reputation by using inferior designs that any wanna-be gun smith can out do.

Just because someone CAN make an aftermarket part doesn't mean that it's better. And if an aftermarket part is better at one specific function doesn't mean that the overall reliability isn't decreased.

A good example is extended mag releases. They certainly do make easier to drop a mag. On the range or in competition that's great. But if it's easier to drop the mag, it's easier to accidentally drop the mag. On the range, who cares. In a defensive situation your loaded mag, on the ground, will ruin you day.

You specified a gun for defense. What you get off the shelf is exactly what you need.

There are dozens of extremely effective mods that can make a Glock a superb race gun. Think about why no one carries a race gun for protection.

Kraviwannabe
11-24-2012, 10:43 AM
I bought my 2nd Generation M23 in 1992 for off duty carry. It has been bumping and banging on my hip for over 20 years, just as was out of the box. I have put thousands of rounds through it and can never recall a single failure to feed and is still accurate!:D

cebuvfr
11-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Your G23 is gtg right out of the box. Night sights are handy upgrades for HD.

supersonic
11-25-2012, 9:39 AM
I bought my 2nd Generation M23 in 1992 for off duty carry. It has been bumping and banging on my hip for over 20 years, just as was out of the box. I have put thousands of rounds through it and can never recall a single failure to feed and is still accurate!:D

You're describing 99.9% of all Glocks out there!:D

trooper357
12-03-2012, 8:36 AM
Well, after reading some reviews I ordered the LWD S/S guide rod assembly. I also was at the local gun store and picked up one of their Glock 23 that had the Hogue rubber grip. Man, it felt really good and stuck to my hand so got one for my G23. Still debating on the LWD barrel but I think for the price, I will hold off and see. I like the fact you can shoot non-jacketed lead but not a must.

Fe cook
12-03-2012, 9:07 AM
3.5 lb connector
Smooth Glock trigger assembly (like in the full sized models)
9mm conversion barrel (I like to shoot both calibers sometimes)
.25 cent trigger job
extra magazines
Good holster

drunktank
12-03-2012, 11:49 AM
My recent 19 had a bit of a grittier trigger than normal. .25cent trigger job made it seem like night and day. A 3.5 polished connector doubled the difference, but I removed to to practice my fundamentals on a stock trigger. Ymmv, but my stock trigger was the worst between the 7-8 GLOCKs I've shot through the years.

super_chief
12-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Don't buy a single thing until you run 500 rounds thru the weapon. By then you will know what works for you.

Glocks are good to go right out of the box.

:D

^ yup

did the same myself.

ended up picking up some night sights (Ameriglo) and a Lone Wolf (40-9) conversion barrel to keep the wallet happy to shoot more.

left the gun alone otherwise.

SB1964
12-03-2012, 12:57 PM

No Argument here...I agree. Lots of Ammo/Practice & a Holster!

Timbob55
12-03-2012, 1:19 PM
Trade it in on a CZ:43:ss

Sorry, I couldn't stop myself.

Anti-Hero
12-03-2012, 1:37 PM
The best upgrade for a Glock 23: The shooter

trooper357
12-03-2012, 2:38 PM
No Argument here...I agree. Lots of Ammo/Practice & a Holster!

Got the Blade-Tech combo paddle/belt holster. Working on ammo. Still undecided on 180gr, 165gr, or 200gr for protection in the woods against 4 or 2 legged creatures that want to take me out. :sleeping:

sd_shooter
12-03-2012, 4:41 PM
Got the Blade-Tech combo paddle/belt holster. Working on ammo. Still undecided on 180gr, 165gr, or 200gr for protection in the woods against 4 or 2 legged creatures that want to take me out. :sleeping:

Didn't you start a .40 ammo thread where the conclusion was that 165gr is optimal?

Of course, you can pay $45/box and get this stuff:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/911696/doubletap-ammunition-40-s-and-w-200-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-50#ReviewHeader

I'd stick with standard "Law Enforcement" ammo from Federal, Speer or Winchester. It's not like you'll face grizzly bears down here and if you did, you'd better file the front sight off your .40 ... :oji:

Virus55
12-03-2012, 6:50 PM
Extended slide release and 3.5 trigger is my recommendation

Lumpia is sarap!
12-03-2012, 7:22 PM
Change the plastic sights to night sights and change the trigger to this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/G23withG35triggerwithtriggerbar006.jpg

socal147
12-04-2012, 4:27 AM
Extended slide release and Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel. Recently removed those finger grove things from the front grip area [G23 and G21]. Otherwise.......Outstanding in all aspects. I even use the 40 mags for 9mm ammo though they are not perfect in function. It is a blast shooting 18 preloaded mags of my reloaded 9mm. Warms the gun up just enough to mold it to your hand. :D

AgentofNothing
12-04-2012, 5:28 AM
I have Pachmayr grip on my 22. The finger groves on glock grips always felt awkward to me, and the grip essentially removes those and feels nice on my hands. Cosmetically, I got a custom slide cover plate with the S.H.I.E.L.D. logo. I also plan on getting a 9mm conversion barrel.

geeknow
12-04-2012, 5:36 AM
I use 10-8 rear sights, trijicon front sight, 3.5# trigger, shortened reset, bigger slide stop, tungsten guide rod, and 165gr ammo.

For me personally, this is an optimal combination.

Every shooter is different.

This combo took me 20yrs to refine.

My hd g23 also has a streamlight tlr-1 on it.

Try different things, and see what works for you.

trooper357
12-04-2012, 6:46 AM
Didn't you start a .40 ammo thread where the conclusion was that 165gr is optimal?

Of course, you can pay $45/box and get this stuff:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/911696/doubletap-ammunition-40-s-and-w-200-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-50#ReviewHeader

I'd stick with standard "Law Enforcement" ammo from Federal, Speer or Winchester. It's not like you'll face grizzly bears down here and if you did, you'd better file the front sight off your .40 ... :oji:

Yep I did but undecided. I keep hearing heavier is better for knock-down and penetration (180-200 FMJ-FN). This is my woods gun for protection.

trooper357
12-04-2012, 6:50 AM
Extended slide release and 3.5 trigger is my recommendation

Not sure what the extended slide release is. I do think the trigger needs some help. Not very smooth.

IPSICK
12-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Best upgrade is after market sights like the Warren Tacticals. The factory sights are terrible.

Red Devil
12-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Not sure what the extended slide release is. I do think the trigger needs some help. Not very smooth.

It's New... like babies cry.

Both get better w/ time.

Put a little dab of that Walmart Marine Grease I know you bought at the very end of the connector bar... at the back of the frame where it rides against the little inverted ramp, under the little tab.

If you push forward, just a little bit, like an 1/8", on that horn that sticks up from the connector bar at the front of the mag well that activates the firing pin safety, you can observe the action of the connector bar end as it is wedged down to drop the sear.

- Dry fire the thing 50 times.
- Grease it.
- Dry fire it another 50 times.

A little spot of light oil (not WD-40) like CLP or 3in1 on the firing pin safety in the slide, that's the little button, helps too. Spread it all the way around w/ a tooth-pick, punch the button a few times, and then wipe off the excess oil.

This should take care of most, if not all, of the trigger problems.

trooper357
12-04-2012, 1:00 PM
It's New... like babies cry.

Both get better w/ time.

Put a little dab of that Walmart Marine Grease I know you bought at the very end of the connector bar... at the back of the frame where it rides against the little inverted ramp, under the little tab.

If you push forward, just a little bit, like an 1/8", on that horn that sticks up from the connector bar at the front of the mag well that activates the firing pin safety, you can observe the action of the connector bar end as it is wedged down to drop the sear.

- Dry fire the thing 50 times.
- Grease it.
- Dry fire it another 50 times.

A little spot of light oil (not WD-40) like CLP or 3in1 on the firing pin safety in the slide, that's the little button, helps too. Spread it all the way around w/ a tooth-pick, punch the button a few times, and then wipe off the excess oil.

This should take care of most, if not all, of the trigger problems.

Thanks, I have some gun oil that should work. Now I need to learn about all the parts of my new G23. I am a little surprised it did not come with a parts diagram with each part labeled. Maybe I can find that information on-line. I'll try the Glock web site and look for some you-tube videos. :oji:

trooper357
12-06-2012, 11:05 AM
So the $.25 trigger upgrade is a drop of oil or grease at the trigger?

AAShooter
12-06-2012, 11:08 AM
So the $.25 trigger upgrade is a drop of oil or grease at the trigger?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Glock+25+cent+trigger+job

Fishslayer
12-06-2012, 11:11 AM
1911 Duh!

Just for the record I would like to point out that I did NOT post this...:D

Although I WAS thinkin' it...

DRAB_81
12-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Glocks are garbage out of the box. You will need all the following upgrades to make it a half decent gun:

Sights: Night Sights, the more expensive the better
Extended Slide (Stop) Release
Extended Magazine Release
Extreme Grip Reduction
Undercut & Rounded Trigger Guard
Extended Beavertail or Grip Force Adapter
Crimson Trace or Viridian Laser
Surefire X300 Ultra
Zev Tech Fulcrum or Vanek Super Trigger
KKM or BarSto Barrel w/Compensator
Tungsten Guiderod & New Recoil Spring
X-Grip Mag Sleeves
Magpul Speed Plates or Vickers Base Plates
Hogue Grip Sleeve or Talon Grip or A-Grips
Titanium 3 Pin Kit
Extended Slide Lock

ElDub1950
12-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Glocks are garbage out of the box. You will need all the following upgrades to make it a half decent gun:

Sights: Night Sights, the more expensive the better
Extended Slide (Stop) Release
Extended Magazine Release
Extreme Grip Reduction
Undercut & Rounded Trigger Guard
Extended Beavertail or Grip Force Adapter
Crimson Trace or Viridian Laser
Surefire X300 Ultra
Zev Tech Fulcrum or Vanek Super Trigger
KKM or BarSto Barrel w/Compensator
Tungsten Guiderod & New Recoil Spring
X-Grip Mag Sleeves
Magpul Speed Plates or Vickers Base Plates
Hogue Grip Sleeve or Talon Grip or A-Grips
Titanium 3 Pin Kit
Extended Slide Lock

Yep, add ALL of this crap then come back and explain to us that after "fixing" all the things wrong with your glock that now it won't fire 3 rounds without jamming up and you can't hit a Buick at 5 paces, and you want to sell it but no one will pay the $1200 you are asking.

AAShooter
12-06-2012, 12:13 PM
I took a class with a guy that "blinged" his Glock and was proud of it. He would tell you the whole story behind it at the drop of a hat.

Then every time we went to the line he would take a can of spray lubricant. He would shoot a drill or two and then spray it down. Apparently it didn't run so well when it got dry. I guess that meant anything short of dripping oil.

Anyway, I just had to smile and walk away. He probably spent $2000 ruining his Glock. Oh well.

trooper357
12-06-2012, 12:15 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Glock+25+cent+trigger+job

Thanks.....looks like from the videos it is a nice project of polishing. Guess I better get familiar with tear-down and reassembly before I get into the polishing so I don't damage anything or forget how it goes back together. :oji:

AAShooter
12-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks.....looks like from the videos it is a nice project of polishing. Guess I better get familiar with tear-down and reassembly before I get into the polishing so I don't damage anything or forget how it goes back together. :oji:

Tear down is pretty straight forward. Lots of reference material out there. The key word is polishing! If you must use a Dremel tool, remember just polishing.

trooper357
12-06-2012, 1:04 PM
Tear down is pretty straight forward. Lots of reference material out there. The key word is polishing! If you must use a Dremel tool, remember just polishing.

Yep, watches 3 videos and I do have a Dremel tool bit I think I will pass on using it just to be safe. It's that last 1/4" of the trigger pull that seems to hang just a little so maybe the polishing will smooth it out. I don't mind a heavy pull as long as it's smooth.

Slicendice
12-06-2012, 1:36 PM
Shooting it more will smooth the trigger out... Spend more time at the range, and less time tinkering... :)

AAShooter
12-06-2012, 1:41 PM
Shooting it more will smooth the trigger out... Spend more time at the range, and less time tinkering... :)

Dry practice will help as well. . . no need to drive to the range.

Slicendice
12-06-2012, 1:49 PM
Dry practice will help as well. . . no need to drive to the range.

True... But the cardboard/paper targets need more holes punched in them...

AAShooter
12-06-2012, 1:59 PM
True... But the cardboard/paper targets need more holes punched in them...

A worthy undertaking! :D

woody78
12-06-2012, 2:14 PM
Change the plastic sights to night sights and change the trigger to this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/G23withG35triggerwithtriggerbar006.jpg

Which trigger is that?

Lumpia is sarap!
12-06-2012, 3:56 PM
Which trigger is that?

A full size Glock trigger that is smooth...no serrations. I just switched it out with a G17/22/34/35 trigger.

trooper357
12-06-2012, 3:58 PM
Been doing a lot of dry fire. My only complaint is the trigger. Yes, I actually like the factory sights. For some reason they seem to work for me even though everyone likes to replace them. BUT, I do not like the trigger pull. Smooth until you get close to fire, then it's a crap shoot. Feels like it wants to stick and then it hits. Will the Ghost 3.5 connector with springs help or waste of about $20?

woody78
12-06-2012, 4:00 PM
Will the Ghost 3.5 connector with springs help or waste of about $20?

Is that this one
http://www.rockyourglock.com/custom/GhostTriggerKits/BNLLS-100-003-306PC11.htm

trooper357
12-06-2012, 4:29 PM
Is that this one
http://www.rockyourglock.com/custom/GhostTriggerKits/BNLLS-100-003-306PC11.htm

No, this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ghost-3-5-Trigger-Connector-Springs-Glock-17-19-22-23-24-26-27-28-29-30-3132-/380529507165?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5899537b5d

woody78
12-06-2012, 4:30 PM
What's difference besides $20?

DRAB_81
12-06-2012, 4:40 PM
Been doing a lot of dry fire. My only complaint is the trigger. Yes, I actually like the factory sights. For some reason they seem to work for me even though everyone likes to replace them. BUT, I do not like the trigger pull. Smooth until you get close to fire, then it's a crap shoot. Feels like it wants to stick and then it hits. Will the Ghost 3.5 connector with springs help or waste of about $20?

Love it or hate it, that's the Glock trigger. You can try connectors and even a $250 Vanek, but it is what it is. I actually tried several 3.5# connectors, and that $250 Vanek Trigger with a Jager Ultralight Striker w/reduced power striker springs. I ended up sending it back, and I haven't put an aftermarket trigger part in any of my Glocks since. Collectively, I have north of 15,000rds through my current Glock stable, including USPSA matches, and I never feel like I'm at a disadvantage competing with guys that run $200+ triggers. It's a Glock, there's only so much you can do. I'm one of the lucky ones that happens to love the stock Glock trigger, so I guess I'm biased.

trooper357
12-06-2012, 4:49 PM
What's difference besides $20?

It doesn't have the cleaning connector, just the regular connector.

trooper357
12-06-2012, 4:52 PM
Love it or hate it, that's the Glock trigger. You can try connectors and even a $250 Vanek, but it is what it is. I actually tried several 3.5# connectors, and that $250 Vanek Trigger with a Jager Ultralight Striker w/reduced power striker springs. I ended up sending it back, and I haven't put an aftermarket trigger part in any of my Glocks since. Collectively, I have north of 15,000rds through my current Glock stable, including USPSA matches, and I never feel like I'm at a disadvantage competing with guys that run $200+ triggers. It's a Glock, there's only so much you can do. I'm one of the lucky ones that happens to love the stock Glock trigger, so I guess I'm biased.

You are one of the few. Most of the post replies say best upgrade is sights and 3.5 connector.

AAShooter
12-06-2012, 5:10 PM

Pretty good summary.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cpHnfO1stkU/TzgWKrC4yVI/AAAAAAAAGyg/b5SXHCEMrZw/s1600/lipstickpig.jpg

-just a note, I have a lot of respect for Glocks but there is just so much you can do about the trigger.

AAShooter
12-06-2012, 5:14 PM
You are one of the few. Most of the post replies say best upgrade is sights and 3.5 connector.

Many don't like the plastic sights because they are easier to break. I know many people that use a sharpie to black out the white markings on the standard Glock sights.

I seems like the people I have seen break their sights on Glocks are doing one handed reloads and manage to break the rear sight racking the slide.

Of course if you want night sights or adjustable sights you usually have to upgrade.

DRAB_81
12-06-2012, 5:18 PM

I think there have been atleast one or two posts that have said to leave it alone & shoot it....

All my Glocks wear Sevigny sights, so I do agree with that part.

These "What mods should I do to my Glock" threads pop up all the time. Most guys like me have said the same thing over & over & over, and get sick of repeating ourselves. Go ask the same question on Glock Talk, you'll see there are more than just a few of us. I'm not telling you what to do, just sharing my experience over the last 5 years, 13 Glocks & 15,000+ rounds.

trooper357
12-07-2012, 7:17 AM
I think there have been atleast one or two posts that have said to leave it alone & shoot it....

All my Glocks wear Sevigny sights, so I do agree with that part.

These "What mods should I do to my Glock" threads pop up all the time. Most guys like me have said the same thing over & over & over, and get sick of repeating ourselves. Go ask the same question on Glock Talk, you'll see there are more than just a few of us. I'm not telling you what to do, just sharing my experience over the last 5 years, 13 Glocks & 15,000+ rounds.

So you probably also feel the $.25 trigger is a waste of time?

ElDub1950
12-07-2012, 7:41 AM

There are probably some cases where it could help. Many people swear by it. But some people have polished it to death and created more problems for themselves.

DRAB_81
12-07-2012, 8:43 AM

Nope, I've polished up a few of mine. It's still a stock trigger. All the polishing really does is smooth out the pre-travel. It may smooth out the break slightly depending on how much you polish, but that can get you in trouble too.

Anti-Hero
12-07-2012, 1:07 PM
I'm another stock glock lover. If you need to smooth out the trigger to be accurate, then the problem isn't the trigger ... It's you. You're trying to fix a skill problem by upgrading the gun, a gun that doesn't need any upgrading.

Just the cold truth.

operator13
12-07-2012, 1:09 PM
i'd change out the serrated trigger for a smooth one.

Red Devil
12-07-2012, 1:26 PM
Dry-firin'/Live-firin'... and a little marine grease... will fix it.

YOU will also get used to IT.

I just got done breakin' in a new G23 Gen4.

- 50 dry-fires.
- Marine grease on the end of the connector.
- a drop of CLP on the firing-pin safety plunger.
- 50 dry-fires.

What...?!?

It's now 90% as smooth as my 20 yr. old G23 Gen2 that shoots like a buttered icicle. (smooth and crisp)

The Std. sights work fine, and they work good in low light too because there is a lot of it, especially the rear - put the ball in the cup and squeeeze.

Check back after Three or Four range trips... say 150-200 rounds... out of it Stock, as Uncle Gaston designed and engineered it.

ElDub1950
12-07-2012, 1:36 PM
Check back after Three or Four range trips... say 150-200 rounds... out of it Stock, as Uncle Gaston designed and engineered it.

3 or 4 range trips?? 150-200 rounds is the first 2 hours of every Saturday :D

trooper357
12-07-2012, 2:31 PM
Well, received my LWD S/S Guide Rod Assembly and Hogue rubber grip. The Hogue grip feels a little fat but it may be I just need to get use to it. But it feels more secure in my hand VS the plastic. Not sure why they made it a little fat? Did some dry fire practice and can't wait to get out for real live firing. Maybe Monday if the weather holds up.

Red Devil
12-07-2012, 3:58 PM
Well, received my LWD S/S Guide Rod Assembly and Hogue rubber grip. The Hogue grip feels a little fat but it may be I just need to get use to it. But it feels more secure in my hand VS the plastic. Not sure why they made it a little fat? Did some dry fire practice and can't wait to get out for real live firing. Maybe Monday if the weather holds up.

NTS Troop,

Glock-Left (shooting left, and a little low) is common w/ shooters new to Glocks... especially in the .40's.

They are "snappy," and shooters tend to counter that w/ excessive grip, resulting in over-steer and Glock-Left.

Hold it like a raw egg, don't crush it, don't drop it. The pistol will move around, it is a violent recoil, but it's not goin' anywhere because the duration is very short.

Get as much contact as you can on the grip, as high up as you can, but as for pressure and accuracy?

Less is more... and more is less.

Have fun, and good shooting. (and post your targets if you can)

3 or 4 range trips?? 150-200 rounds is the first 2 hours of every Saturday :D

1/ea/50/box for Two pistols is a day at the Pistol range for me (along w/ a mag of TacAmmo, uncovered)...

...and then dry-fire... lots. (That stingy Scotch-Irish fingers thing... :D )

Red Devil
12-07-2012, 5:22 PM
Oh, and boutique crap...?

Glock 19 Gen 4 Trigger Not Resetting :( HELP (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=653505)

Oceanbob
12-07-2012, 6:00 PM
i'd change out the serrated trigger for a smooth one.

For me this was a good idea.^^^

On my Glock 26 shooting high performance ammo (Cor-bon) my trigger finger started getting some rash....ouch...switched over to a smooth trigger and the problem went away. This might not be an issue for you Troup; but it is a solution if the problem comes up. :D

Just practice and practice some more before doing anything else. I like the stock trigger.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2rcsrkg.jpg

trooper357
12-11-2012, 2:21 PM
Yep, I don't get why they didn't put a light weight plastic plug in the bottom of the grip.

plug.

jk. But really don't think Glocks need (m)any mods. night sights or an X300 if you don't have 'em.

trooper357
12-11-2012, 2:28 PM
For me this was a good idea.^^^

On my Glock 26 shooting high performance ammo (Cor-bon) my trigger finger started getting some rash....ouch...switched over to a smooth trigger and the problem went away. This might not be an issue for you Troup; but it is a solution if the problem comes up. :D

Just practice and practice some more before doing anything else. I like the stock trigger.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2rcsrkg.jpg

Bob,

I see your G26 has the slide lock and magazine extenders. I got mine in the mail today so I will be installing them after I watch a couple of Youtube videos on tear-down. I got the OEM extenders that look just like yours.

Shenaniguns
12-11-2012, 2:39 PM
My best upgrade was selling my G23 for a G19 :D

Red Devil
12-11-2012, 3:01 PM
My best upgrade was selling my G23 for a Pink G19 :D

There, fixed it for ya... :D

trooper357
12-11-2012, 3:04 PM
My best upgrade was selling my G23 for a G19 :D

If I was to upgrade my G23 it would be a G20. The only reason I didn't buy a G20 is it didn't come in the compact frame which fits me perfectly.

sd_shooter
12-11-2012, 4:59 PM
If I was to upgrade my G23 it would be a G20. The only reason I didn't buy a G20 is it didn't come in the compact frame which fits me perfectly.

So troop, are you shooting your new G23 yet?

Mustang Gunner
12-11-2012, 6:08 PM
Let me start by saying that I have used a G23 daily since 2003. It has seen anything and everything I have seen for the past 9 and a half years and a few months ago it finally logged 10k rounds. Yes 10K rounds. I put roughly 100 rounds a month through it. In all that time I have done a number of things to make it the best carry gun I could. Some parts stayed while most came off.

In the end I have a G23 with Ghost 3.5Lbs connector, grip plug, recoil buffer to keep the slide from battering the frame so much and Trijicon tritium night sights. I have gone through a number of holsters but the 2 main stays have become the Cross Breed Super tuck Deluxe and a Belly Band.

If this will be advice for someone choosing to daily carry my suggested upgrades would be as follows:

1. The Cross Breed Super Tuck Deluxe = By far the best holster I have ever owned

2. tritium night sights = A large portion of armed encounters happens at night

3. the grip plug. If you carry this thing much you will notice all kinds of lint and grime collect in there and this helps to stop that.

4. The recoil buffer pad. While they say it reduces recoil, I didn't notice it. What I did notice is that it stops the slide from battering the frame in full recoil. If you shoot a lot this is a great piece to help extend the life of the gun

5. And lastly the 3.5Lbs trigger connector. Why last you may ask? Simple, this is a defensive gun, not a match grade target pistol. I have never heard of someone complain the trigger was too heavy in a gun fight. In fact your adrenaline will be so pumped you will be pressing that trigger with 1000x more force than needed. Why did I do it then? Well because I tinker with everything and not a single firearm in my collection has an untouched trigger.

In the end, this is just what I have learned works for me over nearly a decade of living with this pistol. Your results may vary.

gunrun45
12-11-2012, 7:54 PM
Slide on grip sleeves are a disaster waiting to happen for a defensive handgun. If you MUST have it, you need to glue the stupid thing on and pray... They have a tendency to ride down the grip and obstruct propped magazine changes or speed reloads. Murphy's law and all...

It's a Glock. Appreciate it for what it is as a defensive pistol. Add ons like extended mag releases, slide releases, mag well funnels, grip plugs, etc... Are mostly not needed and can sometimes be very dangerous additions, depending on your purpose of carrying the gun. Grip plugs block the finger notch used for striping mags during jams, extended slide releases aren't necessary if your using proper technique, extended mag releases cit into your clothes and add issues with possible accidental mag drops while carrying... The list goes on and on LOL. Keep it simple.

I run mine stock except for mepro sights and I teach civilians and LE across the United States. I also run lone wolf barrels in 9mm and 357 Sig. Toss on a conversion kit in 22lr if you really want to get some bang for your buck. I find it essential when going back to the basics with shooters of all experience level with the Glock platform, especially these days with budgets being what they are.

Mustang Gunner
12-11-2012, 8:34 PM
Gunrun45.... I agree that the sleeves are a poor design. I have had issues with them on other guns and I am with you on never suggesting them. Same as the rest of the bolt ons you described. I have personally seen a scenario (at the range thank God) where a shooter drew a Glock 19 from a concealed location to fire and since he had an extended mag release it was depressed just enough while holstered to unseat the mag. Not only did it turn into a single shot pistol the mag fell out the bottom upon firing. Not something I want in a fight or flight moment.

As for the grip plug, I see your point and have never gave it much thought before. I may rethink having it on the 23 after I analyze it a bit more. I will add though that in the 9 and a half years of using this particular Glock I have not encountered a malfunction that would not let the mag drop free if I locked the slide back. In my training with this firearm I have learned that if the tap - rack -roll approach doesn't work then I need to lock the slide, drop mag, insert a new one and slingshot the slide back into battery. I might also add that 100% of the malfunctions with this weapon were "staged" malfunctions for training and have never had one true FTF. I am not discounting your thoughts on the plug and very well may adopt your theory later but simply relaying my experiences.

Oceanbob
12-11-2012, 9:03 PM
Bob,

I see your G26 has the slide lock and magazine extenders. I got mine in the mail today so I will be installing them after I watch a couple of Youtube videos on tear-down. I got the OEM extenders that look just like yours.

Good...post some photos when she's ready. !

I just got a shipment of Underwood ammo. This stuff is HOT and high quality. I'am looking forward to shooting some .40 at 1500 FPS.

Be well.

http://i47.tinypic.com/rw5eu1.jpg

ElDub1950
12-11-2012, 9:19 PM
Slide on grip sleeves are a disaster waiting to happen for a defensive handgun. .......

........ Add ons like extended mag releases, slide releases, mag well funnels, grip plugs, etc... Are mostly not needed and can sometimes be very dangerous additions, .......

........I also run lone wolf barrels in 9mm and 357 Sig. Toss on a conversion kit in 22lr if you really want to get some bang for your buck. .......

^ agree with all those points. My G23 is essentially the same except I didn't bother with the 457 sig conversion. Also have a 22lr conv kit but seldom use it. For .22 I tend to prefer to switch over to my old timey SA revolver for fun.

Red Devil
12-12-2012, 11:43 AM
While I no longer use one, had a Hogue Handall on an old G23 Gen2 for a long time.

Cleaned the grip w/ alcohol or mineral spirits, can't remember, before installin' it.

Damn near had to cut the thing off to remove it.

trooper357
12-12-2012, 1:44 PM
So troop, are you shooting your new G23 yet?

Not yet, waiting for the mailman to get here with my earplugs. But looks like maybe monday? I still am also looking for an area to shoot away from the crowds.

trooper357
12-12-2012, 3:51 PM
Slide on grip sleeves are a disaster waiting to happen for a defensive handgun. If you MUST have it, you need to glue the stupid thing on and pray... They have a tendency to ride down the grip and obstruct propped magazine changes or speed reloads. Murphy's law and all...

It's a Glock. Appreciate it for what it is as a defensive pistol. Add ons like extended mag releases, slide releases, mag well funnels, grip plugs, etc... Are mostly not needed and can sometimes be very dangerous additions, depending on your purpose of carrying the gun. Grip plugs block the finger notch used for striping mags during jams, extended slide releases aren't necessary if your using proper technique, extended mag releases cit into your clothes and add issues with possible accidental mag drops while carrying... The list goes on and on LOL. Keep it simple.

I run mine stock except for mepro sights and I teach civilians and LE across the United States. I also run lone wolf barrels in 9mm and 357 Sig. Toss on a conversion kit in 22lr if you really want to get some bang for your buck. I find it essential when going back to the basics with shooters of all experience level with the Glock platform, especially these days with budgets being what they are.

I have the Hogue slide on grip sleeve I installed on my G23. I had to put the grip sleeve in boiling water and still struggled to get it on the gun. Once on, it doesn't budge. I doubt it will ever come off or move at all. Not sure what you had but I think the Hogue will not cause any issues. Maybe you bought a grip sleeve that was too big for your gun? :oji:

Dellinger
12-12-2012, 3:54 PM
By far the best thing I ever did to my G23 was a Ghost Rocket trigger connector and using Flitz polish on the guts...
The very best thing I ever did for my G23 was a "4 Day Defensive Handgun" course at Front Sight.
Hands down the very best things you can ever do for yourself and your Glock...

trooper357
12-15-2012, 3:15 PM
Ok, so far here is what I have done to my Glock 23 and I think I am done. I did "Hogue" grip, "LWD" S/S recoil assembly, "Glock" extended slide lock, "Glock" extended mag release, and "I Love My Glock" grip end cap. I don't think I want to do the 25 cent trigger since I am not doing any competitive shooting. I am also going to leave the stock barrel alone. I also did get the "Blade Tech" paddle holster. If I do anything else it will be the plastic recoil buffer but I am on the fence about it. I also ordered the Snap Caps from "A-Zoom" to practice with and the "SureFire EarPro EP4 Sonic Defenders" ear plugs. Now, all I need to do is get some shooting weather and find a safe place to target practice. I am a happy camper, can you see me smile.....:oji: