PDA

View Full Version : e-mail from congressman about virgina tech

redneckshootist
07-30-2007, 3:28 PM
I e mailed him right after the shooting and here is his responce:

Dear Matthew:

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to stricter gun control laws in the aftermath of the horrific shootings at Virginia Tech University. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this matter, and you will be pleased to know we are in agreement.

I join with all Americans in deploring the terrible crime that took the lives of 32 students and professors at Virginia Tech on April 16, 2007, and in mourning the loss of the victims. There are certainly lessons to be learned from this tragedy, and the history of the murderer suggests that we need to make some major changes in how we deal with those who display signs of being mentally disturbed. At the same time, I do not believe politicians in Washington, D.C., can claim to have all the answers. The sad truth is that despite our best efforts, there will always be evil people who commit heinous crimes.

I believe Congress should protect the constitutional right of law-abiding citizens to own firearms. Rather than imposing more gun control laws so Congress can appear to be proactive on a sensitive issue, I support increased criminal sentencing and better enforcement of existing laws as the best long-term answers to the problem of crime in America. I will continue to oppose new gun control measures and will support legislation that restores our Constitutional right to keep and bear arms. In the 110th Congress, I am a cosponsor of H.R. 861, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act, which would require states to recognize the validity of concealed-firearm permits issued by other states.

Regarding gun-free school zones, this is a question of state law and, in some places, school policy. Indeed, the Supreme Court in the 1995 case of United States v. Lopez expressly ruled that Congress does not have constitutional authority to legislate in this area. You may wish to contact your representatives in the California legislature to make them aware of your views on this matter.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future regarding this or any other federal issue important to you. In addition, I would like to invite you to visit my website at www.house.gov/herger where you can find additional information on my position on a variety of issues and sign up for occasional e-mail updates on the federal issues important to you.

Sincerely,

WALLY HERGER
Member of Congress

this guy is pretty cool Iam glad I voted for him. I wish there were more politicians here in california like him

Spitfire75
07-30-2007, 5:18 PM
Awesome...very refreshing to see this. :)

Rob P.
07-30-2007, 6:39 PM
What I wanna know is does this guy have a twin? I'm STUCK with a lifetime politician for a represntative who doesn't even respond to my emails or letters. I'd gladly toss him for someone like this.

6172crew
07-30-2007, 7:44 PM
Ol Wally makes the rest of our reps sound like idiots, neat guy.

Solidmch
07-30-2007, 8:07 PM
Wish he had a buddy that would replace Babs Lee

ETD1010
07-30-2007, 8:49 PM
I forget who my rep is, but I emailed him about HR 1022, and he gave me a similar response, telling me he supported the 2nd amendment. . . Good to hear other California reps are the same :)

CalNRA
07-31-2007, 2:18 AM
Wish he had a buddy that would replace Babs Lee

Bab Lee does NOT speak for me...I work for a living...

daskraut
07-31-2007, 6:09 AM
Wow!, what a cool, level headed AMERICAN!!.