View Full Version : Importing handguns from out of state

11-23-2012, 9:52 AM

I'm having a great deal of difficulty trying to work my way through some of the laws regarding importation of handguns from out of state. Here is the story as best as I can describe. I grew up in Virginia and legally purchased several pistols while a resident there. I moved to California 3 years ago assuming I would be on an 18 month employment contract and then return to Virginia. For that reason, I left my pistols in the care of trusted family members in Virginia. My position is now permanent and I plan to stay here in California indefinitely. I would like to take possession of my pistols and am wondering about the laws concerning importation. Had I brought the firearms with me when I moved here, I would have had the option to submit the "New resident handgun ownership report" within 60 days. I've been here for 3 years now so that isn't an option. Now I could always have my family member ship my handguns to a local FFL here in California and go that route but I would like to know about another option (if it is actually a legal one). Next time I fly to Virginia to visit, I could simply bring them back in my checked luggage. Is this a legal option? If it is, I would obviously have to register them. Would I have to surrender them to an FFL, go through background checks, waiting periods, etc? I can't find anything specific to this issue so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

11-23-2012, 10:35 AM
You can still use the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report (http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/ab991frm.pdf?).
Fee is $19 per handgun.

The 60 day time period starts when the handgun(s) are brought into CA [PC 27560(a)], not when you become a CA resident.

The handgun(s) can not be prohibited firearms (assault weapons, DD, MG, SBR, SBS) under CA laws.

You can not import any large capacity (11+ round) magazines.
You can import magazine parts that you can keep as parts & never assemble while in CA or use to make permanent 10 round magazines.

Penal Code 27560
(a) Within 60 days of bringing a handgun, and commencing January 1, 2014, any firearm, into this state, a personal firearm importer shall do one of the following:
(1) Forward by prepaid mail or deliver in person to the Department of Justice, a report prescribed by the department including information concerning that individual and a description of the firearm in question.

11-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Quiet has it.

CA has not written its law to accommodate the idea that moving is a process, not a point-in-time single event.

See also the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Moving_to_California_with_firearms