PDA

View Full Version : Intrafamilial Long Gun Transfer.

tcgjake
11-22-2012, 8:56 PM
Hello, my dad is giving me his Ruger Mini 14 this Christmas and from what I understand he can just give it to me straight up without paper work since it is a long gun and father to son transfer. My main question is, is it any different since this will be my first gun. Do I need to register somewhere as owning a gun or pass a background check or anything since I didn't own a gun prior to this one?

Thank you.

Oceanbob
11-22-2012, 8:58 PM
If you both live in Kalifornistan he can just hand it to you. Have fun.!

And there is no backround check or paperwork required. Handguns you would have to have an HSC Card and fill out a simple form (and $19) to complete a gift from Dad.

Welcome to Cal Guns..!

Ron-Solo
11-22-2012, 8:59 PM
OceanBob is right.

tcgjake
11-22-2012, 9:01 PM
Awesome, thank you. Is it recommended to voluntarily register them?

Oceanbob
11-22-2012, 9:02 PM
Awesome, thank you. Is it recommended to voluntarily register them?

Absolutely NOT.

Not required and never mention this again...;)

tcgjake
11-22-2012, 9:04 PM
Haha, sounds good. Last question for now, should I have some sort of proof that he gave it to me now since I guess that law is changing in 2014, not register it just maybe a piece of paper signed by both of us saying when he gave it to me that I keep in my safe?

Oceanbob
11-22-2012, 9:09 PM
Haha, sounds good. Last question for now, should I have some sort of proof that he gave it to me now since I guess that law is changing in 2014, not register it just maybe a piece of paper signed by both of us saying when he gave it to me that I keep in my safe?

There is no long gun registration at this time in California. If you bought a rifle tomorrow at a Gun Store you would wait 10 days for a backround check but the serial number and other information is not kept on the CDOJ computer. All rifles are unregistered. So don't bother with any paperwork.

In fact, buy more rifles before 2014. JMO

tcgjake
11-22-2012, 9:21 PM
Cool, thank you again.

markw
11-24-2012, 12:48 PM
If I recall, there is no age limit on a long gun and you had to be 18 to own a handgun right? I was thinking of giving some lowers to my kids, but the youngest is still under 18.

Quiet
11-24-2012, 1:01 PM
If I recall, there is no age limit on a long gun and you had to be 18 to own a handgun right? I was thinking of giving some lowers to my kids, but the youngest is still under 18.

Correct.

Currently...
There is no minimum age restriction to own a rifle, shotgun or other.
There is no minimum age requirement for a grandparent/parent to legally gift/transfer a rifle/shotgun/other to their child/grandchild.

Minimum age to own a handgun is 18.
Child/grandchild needs to be 18 or older for a grandparent/parent to legally gift/transfer a handgun to them.

Starting 01-01-2014...
Minimum age to receive a rifle, shotgun, other or handgun is 18. [PC 27875(e)]

Still no minimum age to own a rifle, shotgun or other. However, they can no longer legally receive them until they are 18 or older.

No change for handguns.

Penal Code 27875
Section 27545 does not apply to the transfer of a handgun, and commencing January 1, 2014, any firearm, by gift, bequest, intestate succession, or other means from one individual to another, if all of the following requirements are met:
(a) The transfer is infrequent, as defined in Section 16730.
(b) The transfer is between members of the same immediate family.
(c) Within 30 days of taking possession of the firearm, the person to whom it is transferred shall forward by prepaid mail, or deliver in person to the Department of Justice, a report that includes information concerning the individual taking possession of the firearm, how title was obtained and from whom, and a description of the firearm in question. The report forms that individuals complete pursuant to this section shall be provided to them by the Department of Justice.
(d) The person taking title to the firearm shall first obtain a handgun safety certificate, if the firearm is a handgun.
(e) The person receiving the firearm is 18 years of age or older.

TheBerryMan
11-24-2012, 1:20 PM
Handguns you would have to have an HSC Card and fill out a simple form (and $19) to complete a gift from Dad.

My dad is giving me his colt 1911 gold cup. i have an already hsc card and own various pistols. He could just hand it to me and bam done? once he's done crying about it of course lol.

Librarian
11-24-2012, 1:58 PM
My dad is giving me his colt 1911 gold cup. i have an already hsc card and own various pistols. He could just hand it to me and bam done? once he's done crying about it of course lol.

HE would be done; YOU still have to file the OPLAW form with $19. But all you need do is drop it in the mail on the way out to the range; no need to wait for an acknowledgement, which will probably come in 2-6 weeks.

HBrebel
11-24-2012, 2:32 PM
not meant as an insult but 'voluntarily register'?

TheBerryMan
11-24-2012, 2:56 PM
HE would be done; YOU still have to file the OPLAW form with $19. But all you need do is drop it in the mail on the way out to the range; no need to wait for an acknowledgement, which will probably come in 2-6 weeks.

perfect thanks!

HellnBack
12-29-2012, 8:58 PM
There is no long gun registration at this time in California. If you bought a rifle tomorrow at a Gun Store you would wait 10 days for a backround check but the serial number and other information is not kept on the CDOJ computer. All rifles are unregistered. So don't bother with any paperwork.

In fact, buy more rifles before 2014. JMO

Looks like this solves my situation.

A relative discovered recently a Squires bingham rifle(22 cal) at his home. he recalled that the previous home owner gave it to him in1965. now he wants to give it to me. Any documents I/we need to prepare for transfer.to be honest he just wants to hand it to me w/o any paper work.Sorry to the OP if this is Thread jacking.

Librarian
12-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Looks like this solves my situation.

A relative discovered recently a Squires bingham rifle(22 cal) at his home. he recalled that the previous home owner gave it to him in1965. now he wants to give it to me. Any documents I/we need to prepare for transfer.to be honest he just wants to hand it to me w/o any paper work.Sorry to the OP if this is Thread jacking.

Not the same thing, unless 'A relative' is a parent or grandparent. Proper transfer otherwise is a Private Party Transfer through an FFL.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-30-2012, 12:49 AM
If the Squires Bingham rifle is over 50 years old and both parties to the transfer are California residents then you can do a paperless transfer using the 50+ year old C&R long gun exemption instead of the family exemption.

HellnBack
12-30-2012, 5:02 PM
Based on the info above, The purpose of DROS for rifle is only to established that the buyer is not a "prohibited person". Am I right in that context?

Mssr. Eleganté
12-30-2012, 5:15 PM
Based on the info above, The purpose of DROS for rifle is only to established that the buyer is not a "prohibited person". Am I right in that context?

The purpose of the DROS system for long gun transfers is to establish that the buyer is not a prohibited person and to provide CalDOJ with minor statistical information.

The purpose of completing a PPT of a less than 50 year old long gun through a California licensed dealer is to comply with the law and avoid court/jail time.

HellnBack
12-30-2012, 5:24 PM
Loud and Clear Bro Elegante!! Thank you.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-30-2012, 5:38 PM
Maybe you could email Armscorp and see if they can give you a date of manufacture on the Squires Bingham. If the original owner gave it away back in 1965 there's a good chance the rifle was made before 1963. I don't know if Armscorp has access to records that old though.

HellnBack
12-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Will do that Bro!