PDA

View Full Version : Some help w/Bird identification

boomer135
11-22-2012, 2:30 PM
While out hunting for turkey this morning, I noticed some birds flushing while I was covering some ground that almost looked like doves from a distance. Upon closer investigation with binoculars (tough to get close to them) I noticed a slight yellow belly with long legs and a longer beak. From a distance these guys can fool you thinking they are Doves... Anyone know what they are. I don't have a picture.

DannyInSoCal
11-22-2012, 2:32 PM
Yellow bellied Quail...

ScottB
11-22-2012, 2:40 PM
Meadowlarks.

boomer135
11-22-2012, 2:42 PM
no way it was a Quail, The belly in flight only showed white, but while on the ground I saw a yellow area of the belly. I am thinking some kind of Lark.

Yellow bellied Quail...

boomer135
11-22-2012, 2:47 PM
Thinking it was some kind of Lark, I did some more Googling and I think it could be a meadowlark... Do these birds get mistaken often? It almost fooled me. Enough to get closer and investigate.

Yellow bellied Quail...

spectr17
11-22-2012, 3:24 PM
Meadowlarks. When you flush them they look like quail but they have white on their tails. Quail don't show any white to the rear when flushed.

I once saw 4 Iranians near San Jacinto showing off their limits of what they thought were quail. The warden rode up on a quad and explained otherwise.

Meadowlark in flight, note the white showing on the tail.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Ycw4M91JUYo/TtLDy_O-m7I/AAAAAAAABoI/3Dhh3MQrAPk/s1600/meadowlark%252C+eastern+cape+may+nwr+nj+nov+26+201 1+dpf+002.jpg

boomer135
11-22-2012, 3:49 PM
yup! got to be a Medowlark! Thanks!!!

Xingu
11-22-2012, 4:17 PM
Well the other name for Meadowlark is Kansas Quail

OldShooter32
11-22-2012, 4:42 PM
Meadowlarks.

This

chknlyps2
11-22-2012, 9:21 PM
While out hunting for turkey this morning, I noticed some birds flushing while I was covering some ground that almost looked like doves from a distance. Upon closer investigation with binoculars (tough to get close to them) I noticed a slight yellow belly with long legs and a longer beak. From a distance these guys can fool you thinking they are Doves... Anyone know what they are. I don't have a picture.

I was ripping for a new vineyard above the wine country near Temecula this week and saw some like that, I flushed them up out of the grass with the dozer and they were gray just like a dove but a little white on the tail. They looked like a dove in flight but took off a little faster but after they got up to speed they stopped flapping and would glide for a bit. All the doves I have noticed keep flapping untill right before they land.

After I got some of the ground ripped up they came back to within 100 feet or so picking bugs out of the tilled soil, that was when I saw the faint yellow belly. When they were close the backs looked the same color as a eurasian dove but longer legs and not as plump. They did not look like the picture posted.

boomer135
11-22-2012, 10:03 PM
yup dead on... The closest I can find on the Web and advice here, the Western Medowlark fits the bill...

I was ripping for a new vineyard above the wine country near Temecula this week and saw some like that, I flushed them up out of the grass with the dozer and they were gray just like a dove but a little white on the tail. They looked like a dove in flight but took off a little faster but after they got up to speed they stopped flapping and would glide for a bit. All the doves I have noticed keep flapping untill right before they land.

After I got some of the ground ripped up they came back to within 100 feet or so picking bugs out of the tilled soil, that was when I saw the faint yellow belly. When they were close the backs looked the same color as a eurasian dove but longer legs and not as plump. They did not look like the picture posted.