PDA

View Full Version : Can you send a gun thru UPS?

Chiuchimu
11-22-2012, 1:08 PM
I know to buy a gun from out of state you need the gun to go to an FFL but how about just shipping a gun like sending it back to the manufacturer or sending it to a gun smith?

Basically, if purchasing is not involved, can anyone send a gun to anyone by UPS?

bambam8d1
11-22-2012, 1:12 PM
still has to be sent to an ffl

Ed_Hazard
11-22-2012, 1:15 PM
I know to buy a gun from out of state you need the gun to go to an FFL but how about just shipping a gun like sending it back to the manufacturer or sending it to a gun smith?

Basically, if purchasing is not involved, can anyone send a gun to anyone by UPS?

Follow the link,

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

(b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual. The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package.

11-22-2012, 1:34 PM

^^^
Not correct.

A private party can legally ship (under both California State and Federal law) a personally owned firearm to a gunsmith or factory repair station for service without going thru an FFL. The US Postal Service will only accept handguns from a licensed FFL, the US Postal Service will accept long guns, both rifles and shotguns from non FFL holders. Both FedEx and UPS will accept both long guns and handguns from a private person as long as they are being shipped to an FFL holder, or a gunsmith or a factory repair station. Both FedEX and UPS require the gun be brought to one of their hubs and not a mall contract station.

CAL.BAR
11-22-2012, 1:59 PM
I send them UPS all the time. Technically, you have to go to the main UPS office to mail them (not the franchise UPS stores), but I usually put them down as "gun parts". Which once I disassemble them, is exactly what they are. No problems yet.

Scream_4637
11-22-2012, 2:07 PM
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Shipping+a+gun+with+UPS

sfbadger
11-22-2012, 3:18 PM

WRONG!!!

CSACANNONEER
11-22-2012, 3:27 PM

CORRECT! It would still be being shipper TO a gunsmith of manufacturer with an FFL. However, the shipper/owner is not required to send it through a FFL and, if it is just repaired, the gunsmith or manufacturer can send it directly back to the owner.

wildhawker
11-22-2012, 3:28 PM
You can also ship to yourself.

Calplinker
11-22-2012, 3:35 PM
CORRECT! It would still be being shipper TO a gunsmith of manufacturer with an FFL. However, the shipper/owner is not required to send it through a FFL and, if it is just repaired, the gunsmith or manufacturer can send it directly back to the owner.

Actually, both are correct. You can ship to a manufacturer and/or a gunsmith when they have an FFL. You can't be a manufacturer of firearms without an FFL, so it kind of goes hand in hand.

Had an M1A that needed attention. Springfield e-mailed me a Fedex shipping label. I tossed it in a box, slapped on the label and dropped it off at my local Fedex place. About a month later, I got it back the same way, shipped right to my door, signature required.

Did the same thing only a month or so ago with a rifle going back to Savage. Exact same thing, only I used UPS this time as Savage doesn't pay for shipping to them and Fedex will only ship guns overnight. Cost for overnight was $150. :(

UPS is happy to send it ground and I paid $22. :)

CSACANNONEER
11-22-2012, 3:42 PM
Actually, both are correct. You can ship to a manufacturer and/or a gunsmith when they have an FFL. You can't be a manufacturer of firearms without an FFL, so it kind of goes hand in hand.

Had an M1A that needed attention. Springfield e-mailed me a Fedex shipping label. I tossed it in a box, slapped on the label and dropped it off at my local Fedex place. About a month later, I got it back the same way, shipped right to my door, signature required.

Did the same thing only a month or so ago with a rifle going back to Savage. Exact same thing, only I used UPS this time as Savage doesn't pay for shipping to them and Fedex will only ship guns overnight. Cost for overnight was $150. :(

UPS is happy to send it ground and I paid $22. :)

Some long guns can be broken down and fit into a USPS flat rate tube and shipped even cheaper.

AAShooter
11-22-2012, 3:55 PM
The last time I tried to ship a handgun via UPS to the manufacturer for repair, they would not allow it. Even after commenting on their policies, they refused. I ended up going to FedEx.

David13
11-22-2012, 6:07 PM
I was just told UPS won't ship a gun ground shipment. I suppose it has to go with the more expensive shipment, two day or next day or air.
dc

hawk1
11-22-2012, 6:18 PM
I was just told UPS won't ship a gun ground shipment. I suppose it has to go with the more expensive shipment, two day or next day or air.
dc

That's true! Not because of law, but because their employees were stealing them.
They make you ship it overnight first delivery. That has their highest security and lowest chance of theft since time in their possession is at its lowest possible point.

ZombieZoo
11-22-2012, 6:28 PM
Unless it is some fancy gun I'd just say it was "mechanical parts" not even 'gun parts'.

I've had folks ship me ammo either UPS or FedEx or US mail and they just leave the package at door cause they didn't know what it was.

Librarian
11-22-2012, 8:00 PM
Unless it is some fancy gun I'd just say it was "mechanical parts" not even 'gun parts'.

I've had folks ship me ammo either UPS or FedEx or US mail and they just leave the package at door cause they didn't know what it was.

If you ship to an FFL, you don't have to say.

OTOH, if you don't properly declare the contents, the shipper may deny any claims of loss since you violated their terms of service.

FAQ - see the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Shipping_Firearms_Within_California

Ron-Solo
11-22-2012, 8:05 PM
I send them UPS all the time. Technically, you have to go to the main UPS office to mail them (not the franchise UPS stores), but I usually put them down as "gun parts". Which once I disassemble them, is exactly what they are. No problems yet.

Per Federal law, the receiver is considered a firearm, so you are making false statements to a Federally licensed common carrier. If it got lost, and you failed to properly declare it as a firearm, they can deny any claim, AND any insurance taken out would be void. Filing a false insurance claim is a felony.

Federal law requires you declare any firearm to the common carrier you are using to ship. Ammo is different, but can not be shipped by air.

David13
11-22-2012, 8:09 PM
That's true! Not because of law, but because their employees were stealing them.
They make you ship it overnight first delivery. That has their highest security and lowest chance of theft since time in their possession is at its lowest possible point.

I didn't think it was law. I half suspected it had something to do with theft.
Most of them they do not mark as to what the contents is. That may be USPS policy or ffl law.
It would be foolish to mark it "Firearm". Invites theft. Attracts the dishonest from a distance.
dc

AAShooter
11-23-2012, 6:07 AM

I've had them leave a gun on my doorstep.

ke6guj
11-23-2012, 6:22 AM
Per Federal law, the receiver is considered a firearm, so you are making false statements to a Federally licensed common carrier. If it got lost, and you failed to properly declare it as a firearm, they can deny any claim, AND any insurance taken out would be void. Filing a false insurance claim is a felony.I would hope that a lawyer would be aware of the laws regarding fraud.

Federal law requires you declare any firearm to the common carrier you are using to ship..only if it is being shipped to a non-licensee. If you are shipping to an FFL, federal law does not require that you notify.

478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.
(a) No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped: Provided, That any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of that trip without violating any provision of this part.

Horton Fenty
11-23-2012, 6:56 AM
Every time I've had to return mail a firearm through ups to a manufacturer they have specifically told me do not put anything on the package that would indicate it contains a firearm.

Edit: Also been told every time do not tell anyone what is in the package.

MXRider
11-23-2012, 7:06 AM
I have never had a problem shipping a gun UPS ground to an FFL. I also never declared what it was as it is not necessary.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Chiuchimu
11-26-2012, 6:57 PM
Thanks Everyone.

Rattlehead
11-26-2012, 9:53 PM

If I were a criminal looking to steal people's stuff, the only packages I would be looking to take would be the overnight/next day air packages due to this regulation.

Gunsmith Dan
11-27-2012, 2:26 AM
Yea I am sure going through millions of packages a day would not draw any suspicion to the thieves. There is alot of stuff that goes to firearms manufacturers that are not even firearms or firearms parts so opening every package to S&W for instance would get alot of red flags all over the place.

Yes a private party can ship firearms directly to a FFL for any purpose as long as they are wanting the firearm returned.

Yes a private party can receive their firearm back from a FFL directly.

UPS, USPS and FedEX allow you to ship Long Guns via normal/ground options.

Handguns may only be shipped via a private carrier (UPS, FedEx etc.) and per the carrier's policies they must be shipped overnight.

UPS and FedEx policy on handguns is that you may not mark anything on the package that can identifiy what is in the package, you may only ship it through a customer service center and you must inform the clerk that there is a handgun in the package ( the clerk as well is not suppose to denote on the package that there is a firearm inside).

BUT

A FFL is different ..... I ship firearms back to my customers by handing then over to the driver when he/she does their daily pickup directly to the customer. The only thing that is the same is that handguns must be shipped overnight.

S470FM
11-27-2012, 4:20 AM
I sent an AK through a UPS store in July to an FFL in Arizona, no problems. got it shipped to my house about 3 weeks later

edgerly779
11-27-2012, 4:46 AM
I just had a gun stolen from ups on 10/26/12 filed police report and claim waiting for check. Make sure its insured. Stolen from Sylmar, Ca ups. Was shipped UPS ground from Alabama.