PDA

View Full Version : PPT if the owner dies?

Chiuchimu
11-22-2012, 2:03 PM
In Theory what happens?

Suppose a friend wanted to give you his gun but because you both are busy so the PPT was put off into the future. You already have the gun in your position.

Your friend tragically dies in a traffic accident. What happens to the gun? does it make a difference if he let a signed note saying he is giving you the gun?

ar15barrels
11-22-2012, 2:09 PM
It sounds like an illegal ppt occurred in your hypothetical situation.

Any chance this occurred before 1989 when ppt's were not required in CA or perhaps this occurred outside of CA?

NokSuCow
11-22-2012, 2:22 PM
You can only loan the handgun for 30 days IIRC.

bwiese
11-22-2012, 5:36 PM
This OP has yet posed another variant of, 'Is it OK to have dead hookers in my trunk if my taillights are OK and license is current?'

Your statement indicates that likely an illegal transfer occurred. PPTs in no way involve early transfer of the firearm btwn parties before paperwork/FFL delay etc.

The 'infrquent loan' provision of the law also requires the recipient to hold a valid HSC card, and lasts a max of 30 days. The fact that there is handwaving regarding a transfer really would color the so-called 'loan'.

What SHOULD happen:
- return the firearm to the estate/executor of the dead dude;
- you can buy it from the estate thru an FFL if the estate (executor) decides to dispose of it;

HowardW56
11-22-2012, 5:59 PM
This OP has yet posed another variant of, 'Is it OK to have dead hookers in my trunk if my taillights are OK and license is current?'

But what if it is only one little hooker, and my turn signals work too....

wildhawker
11-22-2012, 6:24 PM
But what if it's 2 *live* hookers and they asked first, sort-of?

HowardW56
11-22-2012, 6:26 PM

That's a new twist, live hookers in the trunk... Would they by chance be midget hookers?

bwiese
11-22-2012, 6:35 PM

Some people PAY for that action...

HowardW56
11-22-2012, 6:45 PM
Some people PAY for that action...

I hear nothing, I see nothing, I know nothing

[Doing my best Sergeant Schultz impersonation...]

Librarian
11-22-2012, 9:07 PM
You guys hit the eggnog early, I see.

If the intent is a PPT, buyer simply shouldn't have the gun before the 'blessing of the FFL'; stuff about 30-day-loan isn't helpful, as the intent for a permanent transfer was in the original hypothetical.

Decide; go to FFL and do transfer; 10 days later, pick up the gun. Keep those in order.

A friend certainly might have a specific bequest in his will to give a particular gun to a friend, but there are Formalities about that, outside the scope of the thread.