PDA

View Full Version : Safe List

Bruce
07-30-2007, 8:42 AM
I contacted S&W regarding one of their guns and they said it had been submitted, and they were waiting for it to be added. I see nothing new has been added since 6/22/07. Anybody know what the process is for handguns being added to the list?

xenophobe
07-30-2007, 8:45 AM
The manufacturer submits a pistol to the independent contractor for testing, the company testing them performs the tests, issues a pass or fail, and then forwards the information for the DOJ and then they update the list...

As to the lead/lag time for a submitted pistol to get approved and posted, it would appear anywhere between 2-6 months.

bwiese
07-30-2007, 8:53 AM
Bruce,

What new Smith are you looking for?

I'll just add to Mike's correct info above that there seem to be very few handgun test labs - and it appears that at least some of these may do work for other states requiring testing too (MD? MA?) etc. These are small companies and they may get backed up with work from multiple mfgrs for multiple states.

I believe S&W uses a cert lab in Kansas, last time I checked....

Bruce
07-30-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm waiting for the regular production .45ACP Model 22's to be approved. After berating Davidson's here, I was told that each different finish has to be listed. Currently the Model 22 is listed as "22-4/ Steel". I asked a dealer to order a nickeled one and Davidson's refused to ship it to California because it isn't listed.....yet.
It does me make wonder what finish "Steel" is since "Blue" is now a separate listing. :confused: