PDA

View Full Version : California and city ammo shipping restrictions?

daskraut
07-29-2007, 11:07 PM
I have a dealer I am trying to buy ammo from that is afraid to ship to california!. Where are the state and city laws listed?. I fear he will need much info to make him feel comfortable. please help. I am in los angeles COUNTY, not city for reference.

jumbopanda
07-29-2007, 11:32 PM
I'm pretty sure Hooterville doesn't have any restrictions on shipping ammo, but I could be wrong. :)

Seriously though, I'm in LA County too and I get online ammo all the time. Just buy from someone else if this guy won't ship to you.

Shane916
07-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Most companies that do this follow other companies policies which aren't accurate in the first place. Rather then doing research they simply are lazy and say umm we won't ship there just because we don't want to. Kinda like how CDNN won't ship any handguns even if they are on the safe list.

daskraut
07-30-2007, 6:02 AM
Panda, I would buy from someone else,but he has some hard to get .30-06 that I like ALOT!!. . I was just wondering where the regs are posted, I tried searching and found zip. I ended up sending him alot of other stores cal shipping regs to ease his fear, have not heard back yet.

M. Sage
07-30-2007, 6:32 PM
Type your county or city name in Google. The first result should be the web page for it. You should be able to look through the sight and look at laws and ordinances in the locality you want.

They can make it a PITA to find ordinances, they don't want you thinking about that stuff, cause then you won't be as happy about your stay in their, err, YOUR county. I find the ordinances for San Mateo county through the Board of Supes link, toward the bottom (big suprise.) YMMV, IANAL, consult a doctor if symptoms continue for three days.

Usually gun-control crap can be found in "public safety" or "police code." Again, good luck: it's government, you're not supposed to understand and navigate easily.

What, do you think they work for you?

daskraut
07-31-2007, 7:22 PM
Sage, I looked on my cities webpage and found the firearm restrictions, mostly buisiness related. But I can not find anything about Los angeles county restrictions or the city of Los angeles. got links?

Librarian
07-31-2007, 7:37 PM
Sage, I looked on my cities webpage and found the firearm restrictions, mostly buisiness related. But I can not find anything about Los angeles county restrictions or the city of Los angeles. got links?

LA City municipal code is on line here (http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&vid=amlegal:lamc_ca). Try searching for "ammunition".

LA County codes are on line here (http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/lacounty/). Where it says "Contents - Search - No Frames" at the top of the left column, click on "Search".

Whatever you find, don't expect it to change the mind of your seller. It's unlikely the seller will accept your findings as legally sufficient, and even though later changes in the law are very unlikely to actually have an influence on out of state ammunition sellers, a small business might not want any risk at all.

It's this kind of result which is the really corrosive effect of our Legislature's anti-gun environment - Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt rule.

MikeH1
07-31-2007, 7:45 PM
There are no restrictions on ordering ammo within L.A. city, as long as you yourself can legally own a firearm. I have spoken to detectives at my local police division, e-mailed a county supervisor and the DOJ in Sacramento. One detective even said some companies take it out on us because they can't sell all the firearms they'd like to here in CA. In L.A. city the ammo vendor is required to log your drivers license # just for ID purposes, but I don't see how a city law is enforceable across state lines, especially if that vendor is not based here. But I'm not a lawyer.

Also, like Shane916 said, most companies just follow others blindly, such as JandCSales.com. A clerk told me they don't ship to L.A. because other vendors don't. I asked what specific laws do they know of. The silence was deafening. They had no clue.

I just do more business with companies that do ship here.

M. Sage
07-31-2007, 8:34 PM
In L.A. city the ammo vendor is required to log your drivers license # just for ID purposes, but I don't see how a city law is enforceable across state lines, especially if that vendor is not based here. But I'm not a lawyer.

I haven't read LA's ammo shipping laws, but if it's anything like Marin, they only require vendors in that county to log the sales. Of course, the wording is kind of wonky, but last time I checked, a county or city couldn't pass laws that stepped on the toes of Federal law (interstate commerce)...

These vendors are either scared, malicious or just don't give a damn.

daskraut
08-01-2007, 6:07 AM
Tried the links, found zip. I think my search skills are weak. This kills me because this ammo (tai .30-06) is great stuff and I am missing out :(